RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spell Damage Increase

I have a shard running and lately I have begun wondering about placing some limits on 'SDI'.

Some of our players have acquired items getting them up to SDI +300 which I feel may be overbalancing Mages versus Monster compared to Melee versus Monster.

I would really like to hear input from other shard owners on this. At the moment I am leaning toward limiting SDI to +100 which would double (not triple) the damage done by spells.

Am I being over concerned? Is a 300% increase in spell damage the norm?

Many Thanks

*bows*

Djeryv

Sorceror
You should probably cap it at 100. Looking over the items in the original game...there was no cap probably because you could never get enough gear to ever reach a high number here. Only certain categories of items have SDI but emulated servers usually have every layer of clothing with the possibility of SDI...so it can get pretty crazy. There should be 2 different settings that can be set on the server. SDI against monsters and SDI for PVP.

Thank you Djeryv. I appreciate the input (and would love to hear from others on this as well).

I am fine leaving PvP as it is because Spell.cs caps it nicely (and PvP on our shard is really rare).

I think your comment . . "Looking over the items in the original game...there was no cap probably because you could never get enough gear to ever reach a high number" . . has hit the root of the problem. From the old days when I played a mage I never expected to be a 'one or two hit wonder' but the way things have evolved today, a Tamer Mage with +300 SDI is making the Sampires look sissy. That does not feel right.

So . . the big question is . . . where to cap SDI at? 100? or 200? or 300?

We have 2 votes for 100 (Djeryv and myself) but what would be acceptable among today's player community?

I have no limit on my shard but we have a lot of other changes which balance it out. In fact in many cases melee is still superior. We have some very tough monsters which would just be impossible to kill without some very strong pets, magery or melee and armour upgrades are also required so you don't get one-shotted. Yet miraculously this does not jeopardise their use in PvP. I believe much of the works for this was already there in RunUO