RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A decade later and an all new runuo.com

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
I know it's hard to believe, but RunUO is now officially a decade old, we quietly slipped past that milestone early in August 2012... and now to celebrate this amazing milestone we're launching the all new RunUO.com website. It's been quite some time since we've built an all new website and we recognize the importance it has for the community. We've chosen to deploy a WordPress platform combined with our XenForo forums in an effort to bring you the most seamless user experience possible.

A couple of house cleaning notes - we're officially closing a couple of projects. As of this post ConnectUO and UOGamers Revelation are officially closed. With all of the personal situations I faced outside of the RunUO project I was unable to maintain forward progress on these projects and while they've been gone for ages I wanted to give you the final official word here. You'll also notice the "Team" page has been removed at this time... it will return after we've officially gone through and updated it and adjusted official roles for the remaining active members.

I've also been asked about having some budding community projects added to the RunUO roster and we're completely willing to explore these as options. We'll also be taking on some more RunUO core developers over the next few months to assist with the additional content needed to be added to the platform. If you're interested in working on the core RunUO project or an associated project please fell free to send me (Ryan) a private message on the forums to discuss. If you have a standalone project which is a derivative work or a complimentary work to RunUO which you'd like to get official space on RunUO feel free to ask also.

Most importantly I want to thank all of you who have worked extremely hard to keep RunUO going, participate in our community to keep it vibrant and last but not least the staff members who consistently offer their free time to this great project. RunUO could not and would not still be here if it weren't for all of you, our users.

Thanks,
Ryan McAdams
RunUO Founder
View the Post on the Blog

Revelations was fun while it lasted :(

ryan with all this new stuff going on why are the forums still god awful slow?? i mean i click on something and it literally takes 2x as long as any other web page and its been like this for months

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Revelations was fun while it lasted :(

ryan with all this new stuff going on why are the forums still god awful slow?? i mean i click on something and it literally takes 2x as long as any other web page and its been like this for months
The forum is running pretty fast for me... I'm not seeing any performance issues at all.

We will be moving them to a new server soon but it's not to do with performance, it's simply a datacenter move.

-Ryan

Obsidian Fire

Sorceror
Ya I am suffering the same thing, it is running super Slooow. Option? Keep both sites and let the use make a choice the site they want to use. You know ... Old - New. I mean the new sites is very nice but ya lose intrest fast because of performance.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Ya I am suffering the same thing, it is running super Slooow. Option? Keep both sites and let the use make a choice the site they want to use. You know ... Old - New. I mean the new sites is very nice but ya lose intrest fast because of performance.

Unless someone can articulate what they mean by slow and what's slowing it up I can't help with what you're experiencing.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
The main site scores 80/100

The forums score 76/100

(Non Mobile Devices)

Obsidian Fire

Sorceror
I got:
Main site scoring 65/100
Fourms Scoring 66/100
(Mobile Devices = true)

Just wondering will the site be Mobile friendly at some point? I also run a Pocket computer with Windows Mobile 6.1 (old phone) on it and have not tried RunUo on it yet.

Vorspire

Knight
I know exactly why it's running "slow" - jQuery.

jQuery is absolutely awesome, but it seems to have issues with performance in Chrome and FireFox, IE 9 is smooth as a baby's bottom (though I hate to admit it).

I've done unit tests with jQuery in different browsers, IE 9 always comes out on top, it almost seems like WebKit's rendering engines have taken a big hit since HTML-5 was introduced as the new standard.

If you leave a jQuery-powered website open for too long in WebKit, it consumes resources heavily, AVG warns me about this whenever a process starts using 200MB+ of memory, this happens after about 5 hours if I leave RunUO.com open.

Apart from the rendering engines taking the hit, jQuery's AJAX performance is pretty slow opared to other SDK's out there, using pollers with jQuery and AJAX seems to devastate performance as a whole and can interfere with functionality to a degree, it's best to keep jQuery AJAX calls to a minimum.

I love jQuery, I won't change it for another SDK just yet, but there are a few limitations that should be considered when using it.

XenForo is probably heavy due to the alerts and notifications polling, AJAX posting and animated transitions.

If it runs too slow, just use IE.

Kraz

AssistUO Developer
Staff member
What Vorspire said isn't wrong, months ago I was developing an e-commerce system (which included jQuery library) and run a few tests regarding request, processing and rendering. IE9 scored the best results, however I must say I use Chrome and never noticed bad performance, even here on RunUO community it is fast enough.

Attachments

• browser-speed.jpg
    browser-speed.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 10

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
The server is responding plenty fast enough, if the browser is blowing - that's a browser issue. I'm not going to change the site for browser problems.

I use Chrome exclusively and have no issues.... of course I use a MAC *GRINS*.

I know exactly why it's running "slow" - jQuery.

jQuery is absolutely awesome, but it seems to have issues with performance in Chrome and FireFox, IE 9 is smooth as a baby's bottom (though I hate to admit it).

I've done unit tests with jQuery in different browsers, IE 9 always comes out on top, it almost seems like WebKit's rendering engines have taken a big hit since HTML-5 was introduced as the new standard.

If you leave a jQuery-powered website open for too long in WebKit, it consumes resources heavily, AVG warns me about this whenever a process starts using 200MB+ of memory, this happens after about 5 hours if I leave RunUO.com open.

Apart from the rendering engines taking the hit, jQuery's AJAX performance is pretty slow opared to other SDK's out there, using pollers with jQuery and AJAX seems to devastate performance as a whole and can interfere with functionality to a degree, it's best to keep jQuery AJAX calls to a minimum.

I love jQuery, I won't change it for another SDK just yet, but there are a few limitations that should be considered when using it.

XenForo is probably heavy due to the alerts and notifications polling, AJAX posting and animated transitions.

If it runs too slow, just use IE.
I'm using chrome and it's running great.

labmonkey

Sorceror
Just wanted to say congrats on the 10yrs of being around! The new site looks great but it threw me off when I came here today.

Simon Omega

Traveler
Congratulations on 10 years! :-D
Seems I started a little late.

Those with the page loading slow, have yuo tried using another DNS option? Try borwsing it using Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4) or have you tried open DNS? If I use my ISP's DNS I get slower page loads, but it's delays in the DNS requests.

Dexter-LoM

Knight
The forum is running pretty fast for me... I'm not seeing any performance issues at all.

We will be moving them to a new server soon but it's not to do with performance, it's simply a datacenter move.

-Ryan
Ryan are you not running your own Datacenter now?
I remember awhile back you were saying you opened your own datacenter for the runuo game servers are you not running the web server with it?

Congrats on the 10 years btw hopefully we can enjoy another 15 so I can take my retirement playing uo. :p