RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appologies, goodbyes, etc...

Zippy

Razor Creator
Appologies, goodbyes, etc...

Dear RunUO and Razor users,

First, I'm sorry I didn't write this a long time ago. It is fairly obvious to most people that I no longer have time in my life for Ultima Online.

I originally began "working" on UO back in early 1998, before I even knew how to program. Through the desire to make tools and servers and webpages for those I forced myself to learn programming "the hard way." Virtually everything I have come to know about programming, including the drive to major in, and subsequently get my Master's degree in, Computer Science is owned to Ultima Online. Without it and the opportunities for fun learning and exploration and the friends I have made, I would be completely and unrecognizably different from the person I am today.

But back in early 1998 I was just a high school freshman. I spent my weekends and summers slaving away on code for years upon years. I wrote Razor largely over fall and summer semester of my junior year in college (about 5 years ago now).

But times, and people, change. I've been out of graduate school now for almost 3 years. I have a wife (for 4 years now), and a house, and a "real" job. I just got back from spending 6-months overseas for work as a matter of fact.

As has become apparent to many over the last year or two, I no longer have time to dedicate to the game I love so much, and to which I owe so much. Like anyone who has worked on UO for so many years, I have "quit" and come back several times. I am 100% sure I will still lurk the forums when I get bored, I will still answer questions, and I will still help out the RunUO core devs and others whenever I can. But I think this time you will probably not see me "come back" like I used to. Adult life, as much as we'd like it to, does not allow the long nights, weekends, and vacations spent on making games. That definitely goes beyond the realm of a hobby.

This shouldn't come as a shock, I've been gone for a while. This letter is more a formality. I still think about all of the good times I had creating worlds, helping players and budding developers, and just having fun. I suspect I will always, how could I not when UO has given me so much?

Your friend always,
"Zippy"

Zippy

Razor Creator
Specifically now, on the subject of Razor.

The question that came up while I was gone.... I will not be working on "patches" for Razor to support updated clients.... I don't currently have the software installed to do that, and I definitely do not have the time. I definitely will not be writing new features, either.

Mark has been providing the updates required to keep Razor compatible with new clients. Whether he continues, or for how long, is completely up to him. What happens when he no longer wishes to have that responsibility, I do not know.

On the subject of the source code: The RunUO Core Developers have and will continue to have access to the Razor code to make any changes, additions, etc that they see fit.

I had some long thoughts and a few discussions with others on releasing the Razor source code to "the wild." I came to the conclusion, and most people agree, that releasing that code would probably cause major irreparable harm to UO as a game. I firmly believe that the release of the code would cause an explosion of growth in automated bots and special features which in many cases border on cheating. Enabling cheating was never my goal in creating Razor. Only a *slight* advantage ;) . I have no plans to ever release the source code for Razor or it's C++ libraries (where the "cool stuff" is done). This could be revisited if ever there is no one willing to take over responsibility for keeping Razor "functional" for new clients. But even then I highly doubt that the source would be released.

homergz

Sorceror
Zippy, Your contributions will affect this community for years to come. You will definitely be missed. Best of luck in all your future endeavors and look forward to seeing you post from time to time.

Sythen

Sorceror
wow... Well Zippy...

I didn't know ya, I definately never talked to ya, and yet I'll be sorry to see you go :(

Thanks for all you've given us with Razor and I wish you well on what ever it is you're doing in your adult life.

Consequently don't let that adult stuff get to your head, everyone needs to let go and relax every once in a while, and a hobby like this can be very rewarding. So take a break, breathe, and come back to us when ever you get bored with real life responsibilities. :D

Think of me as a lil' devil with the pitchfork nudging you to procrastinate on your daily work, in RL, to come and help us every once in a while here on the RunUO forums. :p

Until that happens, take care Zippy :D

hungry4knowhow

Sorceror
Zippy goodluck to you in all that you do, and have been doing the past few years.

Your contributions to the community will never be forgotten im sure. And think one day your Razor program will probobly be in what I like to call the UO Emu Hall of Fame that is Radstar's website!

David

Moderate
Farewell Zippy. You have quietly been an inspiration to so many of us for so long. I think I can speak for the entire community when I express my admiration and appreciation for what you have accomplished and the style in which you accomplished it.

I, like you and so many others have been changed by this game and in particular this project. It is odd to consider that. I am in the later stages of a career as a Network Administrator so I was involved in computers already, for me programming (Visual Basic 2.0 anyone?) was always a hobby or for small little utilities to solve some current issue. RunUO introduced me to C# and to .Net and to my delight I found out I actually have some skills there. Those skills which I developed while writing scripts for RunUO have advanced my career and given me confidence to tackle much larger personal projects.

I say all this to remind you as you move on, that you, through what you thought to be a hobby, have touched lives and left a legacy which is impressive. You will be missed and always fondly remembered.

it's sad to read this from you, but "real life comes first" and everyone knows this.

Farewell Zippy, you provided great efforts for us in the past and I'll always look as you as a RunUO Elder.

Christos81

Wanderer
I have not been an active member for long enough to say much, but I can say from years of playing on RunUO servers that you have truly created a legacy. No matter where life takes you there will always be a part of you right here. You have helped to take what I thought was a fantastic but expensive game, and turned it into something that is much more, where any old gamer or geek (I think that covers all of us right?) can learn to write code and create something for the world to see. Be Proud friend, be really proud.

raisor

Wanderer
I haven't been involved in RunUO for a while now but I definitly remember it in it's early stages and working on all the add-ons for it. Was some of the funnest times I ever had playing UO. I am glad things are working out for you in RL but sad to see you go! Best of luck to you and yours in all the years to come!

Atomic

Wanderer
I haven't posted on these forums for a while but I've decided to reply since this is similar to what happened to me. I also started programming because of UO and eventually got a degree in computer science. I've also quit UO because of "real life" a few years ago and I still kind of regret it.. UO was definitely one of the best times in my life up to now.

Anyways, good luck!

CEO

Sorceror
Good luck and have a good Christmas. Many of us would have left UO long ago without people like you!

Vythic

Sorceror
Thanks and goodbye

From one razor user to wanna-be server running.

Thank you for Razor and all that you have done. It's an amazing tool, and I'm sure someone will step forward to take over the project if you decide to release the source code to them.

Thanks again and goodbye. I know about real life getting in the way. It does that to me as well.

Zippy;822023 said:
Specifically now, on the subject of Razor.

The question that came up while I was gone.... I will not be working on "patches" for Razor to support updated clients.... I don't currently have the software installed to do that, and I definitely do not have the time. I definitely will not be writing new features, either.

Mark has been providing the updates required to keep Razor compatible with new clients. Whether he continues, or for how long, is completely up to him. What happens when he no longer wishes to have that responsibility, I do not know.

On the subject of the source code: The RunUO Core Developers have and will continue to have access to the Razor code to make any changes, additions, etc that they see fit.

I had some long thoughts and a few discussions with others on releasing the Razor source code to "the wild." I came to the conclusion, and most people agree, that releasing that code would probably cause major irreparable harm to UO as a game. I firmly believe that the release of the code would cause an explosion of growth in automated bots and special features which in many cases border on cheating. Enabling cheating was never my goal in creating Razor. Only a *slight* advantage ;) . I have no plans to ever release the source code for Razor or it's C++ libraries (where the "cool stuff" is done). This could be revisited if ever there is no one willing to take over responsibility for keeping Razor "functional" for new clients. But even then I highly doubt that the source would be released.

Peoharen

Sorceror
Have fun Zippy and thanks for everything. The RunUO program single handedly motivated me to learn C# and develop the programming I have now and Razor is a great program to run with UO when you know what shard you're logging into.

So again, have fun. Breed lots of babies and name them after me.

Kamron

Knight
I share in Zippy's story. While I moved from computer science to business as my major, I found that I have skill in programming like Zippy and David, through UO. Before 1998, I tried to learn C++ the hard way. Grayserver, Sphere, and subsequently, RunUO, showed me how C++ and C# is supposed to be learned. I have learned quite a bit about programming and how computers work because of this website, and that is one reason why I have not left.

Zippy, I would like to personally thank you for your contributions, and I am glad that computer science has brought so much to you in your life.

Mara

Sorceror
Thankyou for all the work you put into Razor. You have made a lot of people's lives a little bit happier over the years. It has been and continues to be greatly appreciated.

kat20

Sorceror
Thank you Zippy, I have been playing since the late 90's and have followed you and your work since Razor, this whole last decade has been a time that I think anyone who has played and worked on runuo from UO being the WOW of its time, and the first of its kind will truly miss and never be able to experiance again. And thank you because you have made the game better, gave us all something to strive to and for. Thanks and no one will ever experiance the things we have in the way we have and thats something I will always cherish...

peteliv

Wanderer
zippy man I really appreciate the hours put under desklight to provide me with a form of awesome entertainment not availible anywhere else

i still have your autograph on my chars newbied starting book from years ago at brit bank

i can only wish you the greatest success and stressless days

Thanks for everything Zippy.

RL owns all of us at one point or another. Glad you will be still lurkin the forums.

GL HF. Make babies.