RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AssistUO and UOSteam question

laxarus

Squire
I just started playing uo again after a long time and noticed these two razor like programs. From various sources, I learned that AssistUO has become UOSteam but the development of UOSteam appears to be stopped after some time and all the official links related to UOSteam are dead. On the other hand, I can access AssistUO from runuo.com products page but on runuo forums the script library of AssistUO page is not opening (not found error). Has the development of AssistUO been stopped as well? Can someone give me a clarification of this matter? I tried searching the forums but search function doesn't seem to be working and google is not producing reliable results.

Note: Fixed my horrible English. Was I drunk or smth when I wrote this?

Dian

Sorceror
Yeah... those are all, very.. good questions.
Dead.. not sure, Dying.. yes. Question is really, is anyone going do DO anything about it? That, is the $64,000 question.
It does somewhat seem like someone is trying to run the rest of us out of here though.

Wish I had answers for ya, other than use Razor.

laxarus

Squire
It does somewhat seem like someone is trying to run the rest of us out of here though.
I don't understand what you mean by that.

Wish I had answers for ya, other than use Razor.
Yeah, but the thing is I really found AssistUO a capable software. And in almost every way, it's better than razor. However, the thing is opening corpses automatically(range 2) doesn't work for me while using AssistUO. Now, that is a damn critical feature that I want. (with razor there is no problem.) I don't know whether the shard I play on is blocking this feature or smth wrong with my AssistUO. I just wanted to find out where the support forums are so I can ask that question. But apparently, there isn't any. :)

_Epila_

Sorceror
Unless UOS devs feel safe to hand the project to someone else, it is a dead project.
Same for Razor, AFAIK Mark(?) try to at least maintain support to the latest clients and servers, but I see no real development for new features

I see both projects discontinued and would be pleased to continue them...but no one will handle this kind of project to a unknown guy hahah

Dian

Sorceror
Agreed, it would really be nice to have some of these projects that the folks abandoned, passed on to someone capable, or even released open source. I do not understand why so many people begin a program/project, disappear and leave the community hanging. Whats wrong with just releasing the work when they know they will never return to it.. Dragon (map creating tool) was one of the first examples like that. It could have evolved to a really great robust map making tool, yet Darian just kept it to himself, and faded away... back somewhere in 2002.

As to what I meant by feeling like we are being ran off.. I only mean that these last many months, tools like AUO, UOS and even RunUO has been seemingly abandoned, no developers active on the site here any more, only real person left is Datt99 (bless him :) ) and the forum is starting to show signs of abandonment (like the search function broken, signs of future development have faded away, etc.). Tons of spam bots are posting away, no real sign of cleanup.. the grass is getting pretty tall around here.

Im not trying to stir up trouble, or even pointing fingers because I dont know what the reasons are.. these are just my observations. I mean, if I am seemingly so well knowledgeable and helpful around here.. somethings wrong! lol! Im just here voluntarily, on my own free will simply because I like helping others with the trivial code problems, and what not. But I am no professional! I have just been working with these things for a looong time!

A lot of times I pop on here purely out of habit, from having been a member now for some nearly 12 years.

If anyone reading this from the whats left of the RunUO team wants help, I am more than willing to step in and do what I can. I would assume my time here and efforts should show a little trustworthiness.. I dunno.

Anyways, [/rant]

laxarus

Squire
I read from somewhere (cant remember where) that they cannot go open source bc apparently there are some injections performed during razor operations which raises serious security concerns. If runuo.com going under and devs are unreachable or unwilling to transfer the ownership to ppl who are actually interested in doing some work, then these tools are as good as dead. Well, it's been a great ride and the reason being of this lack of interest to UO and its tools is probably the new generation of players mostly don't prefer playing 2d hard-to-learn and master game like UO.

_Epila_

Sorceror
Honestly, I don't think they don't release the source afraid of having people using it to cheat/exploit the game servers. We have tons of open source that is an easy step to cheat; servers out there do have protection against every known cheat/exploit, it is not community's fault that outdated servers don't patch up or do not prevent cheating. The same way there are tools to cheat, there are tools to prevent cheat. In my UO experience I've seem many tools of many kind that works many ways to cheat and avoid cheating.

They don't release the source afraid of people ruining the tool reputation; Imagine if razor go open and people start redistributing it with malicious code to steal information and etc... I agree that people should be aware of downloading from non-official sources, but also agree that it kills the tool reputation. Another reason is that they built the code, they had the effort to do such thing, so they do what they want with it.

I'm up for the open source, I'm not any afraid of opening my codes, not as retribution for other source openings, but for the longevity of the community. Yeah Mark released the GUI source, but we can't produce anything usable with it. If you're also wondering about UOSteam source, don't even try to ask for it without a REALLY good reason to, although they help the community, they do not fight for open source causes (AFAIK).

Even though it look like a direct criticism, it is not. Just to be clear, I leave my thanks for both Razor's and UOSteam devs for releasing such tools :)

Dian

Sorceror
I will go ahead and say it. Some dont release code, because they want to be the important person, too.

Arrrr

Wanderer
I honestly do not miss those tools. Of course, it is useful to evade lightning, having a whole world map with radar, auto loot, macros etc ... The problem is that a game is not about useful, but enjoyment. Those tools forced everyone to use them. There is no point in buying torchs or trainning catography when everyone can bypass light system or locate its position with an external tool.

I can understand this happens because most people take UO like a pvp game, not an online rpg where players are expected to live amazing adventures.

lol why i just create my own little tools, made one that logs me in on 5 accounts and each account logs in each character(collects bods, logs out) takes it about 12 mins to cycle throough 35 characters and get bods for each.(70 bods per hour!!). To log in Im using Read/WriteProccessMemory(which can be a grey area for some). My current project is my own little macro program, but with it its gonna require me to actually hook a-lot of the functions and its gonna require me to do (cough...Injection). Ill release the macro tool if i ever finish it, but it will be awhile don't have much time to work on such things to often. But i wont release the source either, anyone with minor programming knowledge would be able to exploit it major time!

_Epila_

Sorceror
But i wont release the source either, anyone with minor programming knowledge would be able to exploit it major time!

I respect you by not releasing the source if you don't want to, since it is yours you do what you want with it (just to be clear, I don't want to point finger at anyone :) or start a fight).
But here goes the problem... The tools to exploit are here on forums, with a closer look you can find them :)

Anyway, from what I see, the main intention of the topic is to try to bring Razor back to life... As I said Mark still update it with minor additions, but lets be honest, we don't see any improvement on it in the lat years. I can't say it is dead but for sure it isn't receiving any real attention on it... I know people have life/jobs/family/friends/etc and giving time and effort to a virtual thing that isn't your job or does not give you something back is not cool... But there isn't anything that could be done to revamp this situation?

I respect you by not releasing the source if you don't want to, since it is yours you do what you want with it (just to be clear, I don't want to point finger at anyone :) or start a fight).
But here goes the problem... The tools to exploit are here on forums, with a closer look you can find them :)

Anyway, from what I see, the main intention of the topic is to try to bring Razor back to life... As I said Mark still update it with minor additions, but lets be honest, we don't see any improvement on it in the lat years. I can't say it is dead but for sure it isn't receiving any real attention on it... I know people have life/jobs/family/friends/etc and giving time and effort to a virtual thing that isn't your job or does not give you something back is not cool... But there isn't anything that could be done to revamp this situation?
Ive found no tools on here that have anyrhing that could be used as hacks. From your statement i xan tell youre not to dimiliar with software development. One person cant make a program of same quality as uosteam(unless they spend every waking hour dor months), something similar to razor maybe. The time it would take for a single person to reverse the client, create a wrapper, implement the functions so its not buggy, create gui, testing,etc.. it takes a entire team. What your asking is not a reality for 1 or 2 people. Unless there is a decent wrapper out there made public noone is gonna spend that much time for no profit, on a game thats been out for over a decade. If someone wants to pay a group of people to do so, will be about the only option. Thats just being realistic.
And about bringing razor baxk, it will never happen, if the source was gonna be released they would of done it by now. And they will not being releasing, that would five people a sirecr entry into the game client with all the required methods ,pointers,etc to cause major havock, i praye that day never comes. Heres a idea, play the game without it like back in 98 when there waa no such third party programs. Or if you don't want to go that route, go buy you a book on a high level pc language, and a book about reverse engineering( IA-32) assembly , not the at&t assembly, spen about 6 months reading tutoriala and in about a year you can start on your own programs for any game.
Sorry for typing errorz, im using my phone atm.

Arrrr

Wanderer
[...]takes it about 12 mins to cycle throough 35 characters and get bods for each.(70 bods per hour!!). [...]But i wont release the source either, anyone with minor programming knowledge would be able to exploit it major time!

Something here does not make sense ...

well yeh, was kinda the point, the macro program if i ever work on it, will be more restricting. simply recording macro with a few commands.