RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a shard be created by using a website as host?

SuperTaint

Sorceror
I was looking around for any simular questions and found nothing, but I'm guessing it has been asked before so I decided to post it in this FAQ forum. I have a website host and was wondering if it is possible to run a shard by using the mysql database thru the server and not running the server on my computer at all.

Soteric

Knight
You can use any host if it allows you to run your applications there. Usually it is any VDS/VPS host where you have access to server command line via SSH. If your host is pure website host, i.e. you have access to some kind of admin panel and choose some predefined CMS then you can't run RunUO there.

And even if you have SSH access host company can block any ports except 80/443 and filter non-HTTP traffic. Usually it's a bad idea to use anything positioned as website hosting for any other purposes.

QNX

Traveler
Just to chip in on this (I know it's an old thread, but may be useful to others), you should choose a host that specifically allows you to host a RunUO server. It would be a shame for you, and unfair to your players, if your account was removed without notice because you didn't follow the AUP!

As mentioned above, VPS/VDS+VM/dedicated are all avenues to consider depending on shard size. It's best not to sign up for an annual plan in the first instance. You also need to consider the host's network and geographical location. e.g. for a server with a primary US player base, central would offer fair pings to players in both US East and West.

QNX

Traveler
I've seen that before, but I never thought of it in a UO context. Ridiculously good value IMO!

How do you feel RunUO compares on a Linux host to a Windows host, or are you all Linux?

The biggest challenge I am facing with hosting is that I only have a rather limited number of Windows Server 2003/2008 licenses spare, and it's not viable to purchase more unless charging for them.

Soteric

Knight
I know two shard admins running their servers on Linux/Mono. The experience is very positive, RunUO performs good. It takes some time to get acquainted with Linux if you never ran it before. But once you learn it you will find it very nice and saving your funds.

Vorspire

Knight
I'm currently working with a client who uses Mono for RunUO and it has proven to be quite a bit more involved than working with Windows, but other than differences in support for the code environment (due to Mono being limited for .NET 4.0) RunUO works quite efficiently, probably more-so than it does on Windows, IMO.

Giraffelitis

Wanderer
There is quite cheap and easy to deploy service - Digital Ocean. I use it for testing purposes and it looks very nice. Here is my referral url https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=9367303c6238 . Hope you enjoy their service. Thanks :)

Used this link thanks for the pointer Soteric!

I know two shard admins running their servers on Linux/Mono. The experience is very positive, RunUO performs good. It takes some time to get acquainted with Linux if you never ran it before. But once you learn it you will find it very nice and saving your funds.

I am running on the digitalocean.com box and do not have any issues with performance ... we are a small server but seems to be running great so far ... Ill post here again if i see any issues but i doubt it will be because of linux just the cheap box im using

Great Pricing only $20-$40 for a decent start