RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming Soon to RunUO.com - Script and Project Sharing System

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
We've needed it for a long, long time... and here it comes...

Starting sometime tomorrow we will be taking the forum down to add in a new Script and Project sharing system. This system will provide those of you who contribute projects to the RunUO community the ability to post your project, screenshots, download links and revision history. We will also be updating the RunUO terms of service so that you will be able to SELL your items in this section for real life money as addons to the RunUO project in the event you feel compelled to do so. Please note these transactions will not be handled by RunUO.com and RunUO.com will not offer support for these transactions, you'll need to handle payments outside of here.

Thanks,
Ryan

fcondon

Sorceror
I think this can be a good idea (not a fan of the selling scripts part) but I am just curious, how will this differ exactly from the script submission section?

Foul

Page
Id prefer donations or something.. Idkk.. I'm not a fan of selling scripts (but then again I'm not a developer.. nor a full time developer)
I don't think id buy them. I guess it depends.

Erevan

Sorceror
Interested to see where this file sharing system goes, although (like everyone else) I'm 50/50 on the ability to sell content. As a developer myself, I'd have no issue in selling some of my custom content that I have no current interest in sharing for free. However, I can also see a lot of amateur developers charging for trivial content, which would just lead to RunUO being full of overpriced content, and virtually nothing for aspiring developers to work with without forking out the cash.

Morxeton

Sorceror
I think this can be a good idea (not a fan of the selling scripts part) but I am just curious, how will this differ exactly from the script submission section?
Script Submissions is just a forum. What Ryan is talking about is a project management system. Think of it as being similar to SourceForge or Google Code.

The_Man

Sorceror
I too look forward to the new system as far as organization and management... but I do have concerns for selling scripts. I think I would rather see a crowd funding type system to allow people to donate towards getting a script or system completed.

I believe that with a project such as RunUO depending on and revolving around open source community contributed content... that it would provide more positive motivation and interaction between the community.

With the script for sale way of doing things, what would end up happening is just one or a few people would buy it and then either share, leak, or post it up on some other site for free download.
With a donation/crowd funding system you encourage the interaction, motivation, and funding before hand so that then it isn't an issue of if it will get leaked because it hasn't even been created yet. Obviously though if the project meets it's goal and then isn't completed then refunds should be given.

While we are on the topic of website upgrades I would like to see an improved code block bbcode possibly with line numbers and syntax highlighting.

Another cool thing would be a mod spotlight that shows off a script, howto, art, etc every month.

Foul

Page
I too look forward to the new system as far as organization and management... but I do have concerns for selling scripts. I think I would rather see a crowd funding type system to allow people to donate towards getting a script or system completed.

I believe that with a project such as RunUO depending on and revolving around open source community contributed content... that it would provide more positive motivation and interaction between the community.

With the script for sale way of doing things, what would end up happening is just one or a few people would buy it and then either share, leak, or post it up on some other site for free download.
With a donation/crowd funding system you encourage the interaction, motivation, and funding before hand so that then it isn't an issue of if it will get leaked because it hasn't even been created yet. Obviously though if the project meets it's goal and then isn't completed then refunds should be given.

I like this idea, kinda like a kickstarter? There would need to be a middle man though.

Another cool thing would be a mod spotlight that shows off a script, howto, art, etc every month.
I like this too.