RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Custom Art]Creating a Partial Hue Item

otimpyre

Sorceror
Creating a Partial Hue Item Tutorial By:Otim Pyre 3/10/2011

Foreward: A partial hue item is an image in Ultima that when the [set hue ### command is used upon will only hue a certain area. Examples of this are the Dye tub and banners. There are many items in ultima that use this special flag in the tiledata.mul And it can be very useful. There are items in ultima that should have this flag. But, it wasn't ever thought of during the creation of some items. A perfect example of this is a rose. There several roses in Ultima if you try to hue one of these you hue the entire rose including the stem. I will be teaching you how you can make a rose when hued will only hue the flower part and not the stem. This technique could be used to make the blade of a sword hue while leaving the hilt wooden ect...

First of all we start with the image we want to make partial hue which I am using RoseofTrinsic 0x234B 9035
Using UO-Fiddler I extract it or using InsideUO I can right click Copy> and then paste in my art program.

PartialHueRose.png

First of all in our graphics program we need to duplicate> layer>

Then on the new layer select the color true black and with a small brush slowly paint away the stem. Being careful not to touch the purple part of the flower.
PartialHueRose1.png This is as seen on the new layer above our original image.
now we want to use our magicwand with tolerances> set at 0 this will select the black area only. Then we edit> Cut>

This reveals the stem on the layer below
PartialHueRose.png

Now on the new layer with the flower. We use our wand again on the area we cut out and Select> Invert> we now have a selection around the rose.

Now we go to color> Colorize> and drop saturation> to 0 this makes our rose grey then we got to layers> merge all or flatten the image giving us the final product. We save it as .bmp
PartialHueFinal.png

Now with UO Fiddler we go to items. Find the roseoftrinsic and rightclick on the image & replace with our new rose. Rightclick save and it will export you art.mul and art.idx to UO fiddlers program folder. We back up our original art.mul & art.idx and then Replace the art.mul & art.idx in our UO Directory with the ones from our UO Fiddler folder . The art aspect is finished.

Now the magic part. Is in our tiledata.mul we go into UO fiddler and click on the tab tiledata.mul and scroll down till we see the roseoftrinsic making sure the itemid is correct 0x234B 9035 then in our flags we check the box for partial hue. Now we click the SaveChanges Button Then we click Save TileData Button at top of UO Fiddler it saves a copy to UO Fiddler progam file. Then we backup our tiledata.mul in our UO Directory and replace with the Tiledata.mul from UO Fiddlers program folder. **TIP**There is a setting to save directly on changes under MISC tab in UO Fiddler

Load up your server go into the game [add item 9035 then [set hue whatever on it.
YourWelcome.png

If you want to create roses in the unused spots of your art.mul thats fine too. But, you need to make a script for the rose. You could copy the rose of trinsic script and just change the names and the itemids to yours. To have a variety of roses you could script one to be random hue from a list of pre chosen hues. Or script several roses named differently with a preset hue. Have it as loot on a special monster, make it dyeable? various things you could do with this rose.

Pachacuti

Traveler
Hey man, I am looking for this for AGES. I saw no comments here so I'll leave mine, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I just wanted you to know that your work is very appreciated!

Vlek

Sorceror
Does it matter what bit we save it as? I'm going to try 24 bit bmp and see how that goes. Also, does this work on multi's?

Pachacuti

Traveler
I don't think it would work on multis Vlek. That's why EA had to do a lot of changes to turn boats into huable.

I am almost sure it works on animations, though, what is VERY useful in my opinion.

Apocolypse

Sorceror
if i take all my animation frames and just make the color grey on say the animations armor, will i be able to just dye the armor leaving the rest of the animation in its original color? Just a question =) not sure how we would set it as a partial hue anim though..

otimpyre

Sorceror
I avoid all mobile animations and support of them. My tutorial is referring to static animation only. But the GM robe does something to the effect you are referring too.

Zinn

Wanderer
Hey. Just wanted to drop a quick thank you. I am kinda new to runUO and this post taught me a lot about file manipulation. Thanks again :) I was unable to test it because for some reason when i type [add 0x234B it doesn't find it. I still have a lot to figure out.

otimpyre

Sorceror
Every item has a 0x0id and a #####id fiddler shows these at the bottom of screen. Can also add by that number. For example [add 0x01234 then it will have a actual number as well [add 8675