RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Artwork How-To

to have the players see a custom animation, you do have to patch the file to them
that is why most patch anim3 (it is the smallest) with the custom animations

if you get mulpatcher, you can load up the animation files and look through each one to find your custom one

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
well i already DO have mulpatcher, that's what i've been having issues with.. lol

is there any way to load each animation file individually? i thought mulpatcher loads them as needed only.. especially, since every time i click "load" on any of the animation files, the app crashes.

not unless you are referring to matching the hex numbers to the animation file.. but how would i go about doing that? i mean.. what ranges of hex numbers are there for each animation file?

it loads them to lok at, and if you add any animations, it auto saves them, not like the other files that you have to click save to save the changes, so have to be careful with the animation files

what mulpatcher version are you using?
also make sure none of the files it is pointing to are in use by any onther program, like UO, etc
and that they exist

also depending on number of other things running, might want to check the "low memory" box

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Currently, I'm using version 9.8...

Is there any way, to find out what animation hexes, are in which animation file?

------

To be honest, I feel like I am sorta spinning my wheels here. So, let me reiterate what it is I am trying to do.

I have old server files, that contain custom artwork; and this server ran on a 5.0.9.1 patch.

I WAS using 7.x on my NEW server.. but dropped back to 5.0.9.1 on advice, in order to achieve compatibility and not create problems with trying to use older files with a newer patched client.

Upon copy/pasting my old artidx, art, gumpidx, gumpart and tiledata files over top of my NEW files.. I'm able to see my custom artwork on my paperdoll, on the ground, and in my pack.

My dilemma now is; how do I patch the CUSTOM animations that I KNOW I have, without having to patch out ALL the animation files; since I do not remember which one was edited.

Most of the animations, are only for the CUSTOM shields I have, so that they display on my 2D character, as the actual shield, rather than one of the OSI shields.

I've tried editing the bodydef file, but either I am doing it wrong.. or it doesn't work.

----

Edit #2:

After copy/pasting anim.mul and anim.idx over to my NEW client, the custom artwork displays properly..

This obviously creates a small dilemma.. is there any way to switch the custom animation over to a different animation file? I'm not even sure ALL the custom artwork has been included in this animation file; been so damn long.

the only way to do it is to use mulpatcher
look at anim 1, find your custom one, have to click through them one at a time
then when you find it, right click and "copy to file", and save it someplace - will be a .vd file
then go into anim3 find an empty same type slot as it was using in anim 1
rightclick and click on load from file - point to it

now the easy part lol
find a body slot not being used at all, this can be fun, but there is a PDF in the script release section that lists all the curent ones in use, i believe it was thiligon (sorry about spelling) that made it
now in bodyconv.def file you add a line (good to search through here 1st to make sure it is not being used all ready also)
the line should be (and you have to use tabs not spaces)
Code:
emptyslotnumber	-1	yournumberfrom#3	-1	-1
and you patch bodyconv.def and anim3 then to your players

ugh...I've given up ! I seriously need a "Dummy guide to installing art" tutorial. I can't figure out where I'm going wrong..since I'm following this tutorial step by step I can only guess it's my datapath that is wrong or I'm saving the files wrong.

At any rate..thanks so much Lord Greywolf..your patience is appreciated :) I'm going to go build houses in UO architect..THAT I can do ! ;)

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Hmm.. okay, the directions make sense.. but how exactly do I view the animation files?

Its the "Animdata" tab in mulpatcher correct?

I just scrolled through the entire list and never found an animation.. not for anything actually..

the animationdata is for the simple animations in game (like fires, lightning, etc)

anim, anim1, etc are the animation files themselves
it only shows you the 1st pic of them, it does not animate them

to see most of them animated, use uofiddler or insideuo

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
okay.. so when you're saying:

ook at anim 1, find your custom one, have to click through them one at a time
then when you find it, right click and "copy to file", and save it someplace - will be a .vd file
Where are you telling me to look? I know .vd files stem from Verdata, but that is no longer supported..

FYI.. I am using UO Fiddler.. but not seeing anywhere to save the image for the animation.

This may sound like a nutcase question; but the ability to see the custom shield as I am walking around, etc.. requires a custom animation, correct? I mean.. just selecting a basic kite shield ID, won't show the custom image at all..?

Trying to figure out how to do this is confusing me and making me think I have the definitions of things wrong.. rofl..

I appreciate all the help thus far bud.. I might be slow grasping hold, but once I get my foot in the door.. look out.. =)

--------

<EDIT>

Okay.. after tinkering around with UO Fiddler.. I've found a way to save the animation from anim.mul and then reload it to anim3.mul.. i then saved anim3.mul and copied it and the new anim.idx over my old ones..

Now.. I've found the PDF file from Thilgon (<-- correct spelling), here...

What is the empty slot number I need to be looking for? I have the rest figured out thus far...

Code:
EmptySlotNumber     -1     584     -1     -1
Since 584 was the number used in anim.mul, I just used 584 in anim3.mul, since it was empty, and to help eliminate confusion as to where the hell I put it in anim3.. =)

I'm just lost now on what this empty slot number is supposed to be?

-----

Alrighty then.. I've used the PDF file to find an empty slot.. according to bodyconv, 400+ is to be used for equipment..

It just so happened, 507 was the first available.. well, the only number right after 400 that wasn't being used anywhere in the file.. I entered the following into bodyconv:

Code:
507    -1    584    -1    -1    #    SeaJewelShield
I copy/pasted anim3.mul and anim3.idx over to my RunUO datapath folder, including bodyconv.. and nada..

Now, I'm completely lost.. I've followed directions to the letter, yet somehow this is still dysfunctional... >.>

Orbit Storm

Sorceror
Okay.. so I do believe you were a little bit off there, LGW.

I got to thinking.. the bodyconv.def file, is used to override the ORIGINAL animation, in anims.mul...

(The numbers below may or may not be legit, but I'm using random numbers for the sake of an example)

Code:
anims   anims2   anims3   anims4   anims5
 100        -1          300          -1          -1
Okay.. so.. how this line works is.. the client will call on animation "300" from anims3.mul... and in doing so, will override animation "100" from anims.mul

LGW, according to your instructions.. you said to save the animation from anims.mul, and reload it into anims3.mul.. that was correct; however, your next part.. that instructed me to find an "open animation slot", for the first number (which would be anims.mul) is wrong.

Example:

Code:
anims   anims2   anims3   anims4   anims5
  200        -1          300          -1          -1
Let's say "200" is an open slot in anims.mul... Well, what exactly is "300" supposed to override if "200" doesn't actually exist? The key here is.. the animation from anims3.mul, is being called to override the animation in anims.mul.. NO, the client may not have a patched version of anims.mul; but the SERVER does..

I'm hoping this makes sense.. but I tested this fully; and unless I somehow missed something, then I'm correct on this all.

My client contains patched versions of artidx, art, gumpart, gumpidx, tiledata, and lastly.. anims3.mul and anims3.idx

My server contains all of the above, plus the patched version of anims.mul and anims.idx..

Therefore.. I only need to patch anims3.mul and anims3.idx with an updated bodyconv.def

In my bodyconv.def, I have the following line:

Code:
584   -1   584   -1   -1
As I said in my last post.. 584 is the ORIGINAL animation ID for my custom artwork.. I chose to use the exact same ID in anims3.mul, to avoid confusion and forgetting where I placed that artwork. Works like a charm..

Hope I explained this all correctly in this rather lengthy post lol..

----

Edit: To confirm my above ramblings, you can check out the following thread:

Animations, Body.def, and Bodyconv.def

September

Sorceror
Thumbs UP

just Have to add to this Thread and say thi sGuide is still So awesome and has helped me out allot! Very Nice work here, Very Detailed and easy to follow!~

Pino16

Wanderer
I have a little question here. I just add some bows and crossbows to my server using mulpatcher. I did the exact same steps as in the tutorial (created new scripts and edited bodydef file). Once I'm in game, I can add every item and wear it properly. I see the art on the ground, the gump in my paperdoll and the animation as well (walking, running, mounting a horse, everything works fine). The only thing is that the animation disappears when I sit down on a chair. Is it something I did wrong or is it a detail I forgot?

Attachments

• Anim1.jpg
    Anim1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 36
  • Anim2.jpg
    Anim2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 40
that is an OSI BULLSH** deal
you can only use certain numbers, and most are taken all ready - something like 50,000 to 51,??? forget exxact number (it is posted in this thread though)
but most of the ones from 50,000 to 51,000 are in use by either UO based items or UO bodies
same with the many of the slots in the 51k+ range

my players have learned that when you sit, you go naked lol, just because there is not enough room fro all of the customs

Pino16

Wanderer
There's something I don't understand. According to the tutorial, I have to substract 50000 to the decimal number I get when I convert it from Hex number. I tried doing it backwards using an already existing number in my bodydef file. I took the first one which is 11 {28} 1401. So I did 11 + 50000 = 50011 and then I converted it to Hex number. The result I got was 0xC35B. I checked in my mulpatcher gump slots and I noticed that this slot was empty... What's wrong with that?

I also tried adding my crossbow into an empty slot in the 50000 to 51000 range as mentionned. I found 403 empty consecutive slots, starting at 0xC350 (50000) to 0xC4E3 (50403). I took the first slot and did the same process to add my artwork. Same results...

I also edited the original crossbow slot (from UO). I deleted it and inserted my own crossbow. I made all the adjustements in the bodydef file and RunUO script. Still nothing...

Is it really a gump slot matter? Should I try every single available slot in the 50k-51k range until I find the good ones? I mean there has to be some way to successfully add an artwork and I won't stop trying until I succeed. I played on servers who added their own artwork and I never noticed any signs of glitches...

What should I do now to fix this?

you also can NOT use all ready existing body/monster/item numbers

bodyconv is for animations to use a different animation file (i.e. use animation from anim3 instead of this one fro anim)

bodydef is for using different animations in place of ones you add that have no animation

bodyconv override bodydef by the way

so the 11 you where looking at was the animation itself, not the gump it points to

basicaly you can not use anything below 51,000 either because it is in use by OSI all ready (almost all of them anyways)

Pino16

Wanderer
I managed to solve my problem, I tried new slots and it worked.

Now there's something I'm looking for. I'd like to add a Katana-like sword. I searched for the animation ID in the InsideUO's Animation section and took it from Weapon.Katana (629). The thing is that when I tested it online, I found out that my sword looked like a knife. I was hoping to get the same kind of animation from the original Katana weapon and it wasn't. Now I'm looking for the animation ID of the original Katana. Where can I find it?

P.S : The first SS is what my Katana looks like with the 629 anim ID. The second SS is what I want my Katana to look like (original Katana equipped)

Attachments

• KatanaAnim1.jpg
    KatanaAnim1.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 21
  • KatanaAnim2.jpg
    KatanaAnim2.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 84

Pino16

Wanderer
I also need to know how to extract gumps and arts from a Verdata file. When I load the Verdata file in my mulpatcher, I can see the gumps and arts related to it but when I save them to bitmap, I get different gumps than those I wanted to keep. What do I have to do?

Rajaat99

Squire
I added some shoes to my shard and am getting an in game error when I try to create the item using the [add command. "Usage: Nikes Int32 hue" Nikes are obviously the name of the shoes.
My question: What did I do wrong?

that would be in the script itself to give you that - post it in the script support section along with the script also (in code tags)

Rajaat99

Squire
Lord_Greywolf;850459 said:
that would be in the script itself to give you that - post it in the script support section along with the script also (in code tags)

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I was checking the hex codes over and over again. I found the problem, it was minor and stupid. Thanks again Lord Greywolf.