RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Map Maker

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Custom Map Maker

I'm currently looking for a custom map pro to assist me with a new project. If you're interested please let me know via a forum PM. Give me some examples of your experience, what you've done and what kind of time you can dedicate to making a custom map for RunUO.

Thanks,
Ryan

mogbert

Wanderer
whys that?

Why you trying to make a new map?

Ive done a few dozen, I have one thats about 70% complete, but I say that because I tend to make changes when I get new Idea's, It was because I wanted to make a server based on all the best RUNUO scripts and a whole new world with quests and such. but I cant afford a game host so I never got it complete. It would take about a month complete if I was to do it solo If you wanted somthing Quick, you could use that, I did it myself because I don't really trust the quality of work of others, anyway whatever. my email and such are on here if your interestsed.

I wrote a guide on how to use all the map making programs, about 3 years ago, its in the 3rd party support forum I believe, and some tips on how to successfully make a map work right.

Warloxx

Sorceror
Custom Map? are we talking Tram/ Fel size (Stock) or ML size and are we talking ALL maps or just one? Also are we considering a custom size to run on a Custom client?

Jeff

Lord
Warloxx;785602 said:
Custom Map? are we talking Tram/ Fel size (Stock) or ML size and are we talking ALL maps or just one? Also are we considering a custom size to run on a Custom client?

Does any of that really matter, you can either do the task or not, right?

Warloxx

Sorceror
Please understand Im not being an ass but yes it does matter, I have free time but whats he looking for.. I have built a Malas replacement in only alittle over a month, but I have also been working on a Tram/Fel replacement for over a year... here is Ultima 6 (Malas Replacement) and Asheron's Call (Tram/Fel Replacement) maps and by the way Dereth ( Asheron's Call map) is 4x the size of the Stock UO map size. Im only posting the very start of the dereth map do to the fact that the more completed one is on another system. I have Built Dragon Warrior4 and 3 Maps as well as totaly custom work based on nothing but imagination. Again Please understand I ask for a reason.

Attachments

• Dereth.jpg
    Dereth.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 874
  • Ultima 6.jpg
    Ultima 6.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1,019

Sythen

Sorceror
Absolutely! It Matters!!

lol... I lubs ya jeff...:p

Trammel and Felucca are not a 2-3 month project; whereas Malas, Ilshenar, and Tokuno can be done really detailed in that time or less, Trammel and Felucca will take you probably twice that if you are detail oriented. Additionally custom size maps above and beyond what EA allows you to add to its unmodified client require hex editing of the client.exe file (just look here). Maps that are extremely large take a lot longer to compile for obvious reasons as well. I think Genesis will be able to handle a 30,000x30,000 tile limit on maps, however UO Landscaper does not and I'm unsure whether Dragon does or not. Anyway, doesn't matter how you look at it, if Ryan wants a Malas, Tokuno, or Ilshenar replacement he'll probably get more people interested than if he wants a Trammel or Felucca replacement map - especially if its a custom one that exceeds EA standard sizes.

Warloxx

Sorceror
Im using a custom build of Map Gen II from Punt and trust me it takes HOURS to compile my Dereth map, Thats why its on another system, I have been playing around building a custom server, Maps, Buildings and alot more TOTALY ALONE.

Attachments

• Smithy.jpg
    Smithy.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 579
  • dryreach.jpg
    dryreach.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 470
  • Jail.jpg
    Jail.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 469

Sythen

Sorceror
Nice Map and Buildings!

I've tried to use map generator and Dragon and couldn't figure them out so I use a combination of:

UOLandscaper......................creates my map templates, sets my altitude map, and compiles my map with varying degrees of altitude change (tweaked the configs for a more natural 'hilly' landscape look). EA's maps are 80% flat - even in the forest areas - so I compile my maps with land levels between 5z and 8z. Also I create a large scale altitude change on the altitude map... all water at 0z, coastal land at 5z and inland at 10z.... to create a gradual incline as in real world geography. In some areas I've decreased the land by 5z in order to create a valley affect.

PhotoshopCS2......................draws my map using custom brushes (I made) and custom UOL color palet. This program also helps me create new terrain tiles thanks to UOLs Transition Editor and custom graphics for the game or custom statics for the map.

CentrEd..............................helps refine my finished product. With it I can design basements, create large-scale cities, add and remove statics from the game, and edit my coastlines (high and low) as needed, level out imperfections (quite easily) such as raised water tiles (where the brown areas didnt compile right and stick out of the water. This is really an awesome tool FloppyDisc gave the community!

These are the main programs I use for maps but they are only 3 of a total of 40 programs I use to create my server, servers website, and everything in between. :D

Jeff

Lord
I know it takes time to do a large vs small map, i'm no idiot. But we are looking for someone dedicated to making map(s) not just a quick 2 week project, so the size of the map shouldn't matter.

HellRazor

Knight
Jeff;785844 said:
I know it takes time to do a large vs small map, i'm no idiot. But we are looking for someone dedicated to making map(s) not just a quick 2 week project, so the size of the map shouldn't matter.

It might matter to the guy who needs to decide whether or not he wants to take on the project. :p

mdavis93

Sorceror
Ryan;779759 said:
I'm currently looking for a custom map pro to assist me with a new project. If you're interested please let me know via a forum PM. Give me some examples of your experience, what you've done and what kind of time you can dedicate to making a custom map for RunUO.

Thanks,
Ryan

Well now, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this say to PM Ryan if you're interested? Also, doesn't it say to tell him what kind of time you can dedicate?

Hmm.. wonder why there's so many posts and debates on what who can do and how quickly.

But, what do I know other than the grass is blue and the sky is green...

Cya Next Time!

Jeff

Lord
mdavis93;785890 said:
Well now, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this say to PM Ryan if you're interested? Also, doesn't it say to tell him what kind of time you can dedicate?

Hmm.. wonder why there's so many posts and debates on what who can do and how quickly.

But, what do I know other than the grass is blue and the sky is green...

Cya Next Time!

Technically it involves me more then Ryan, and chances are i'm more responsive at present time then Ryan. So please don't concern yourself with moderating these forums... it's definitely not your job, thanks.

Dian

Sorceror
Jeff.. You guys are asking for some help, yet you want to reply with that attitude. Why would anyone want to work with that. Sad. (and yes, i am a long time veteran map maker, that 'had' interest too.. check ryandor.com if you doubt that, i am admin)

Dian

Sorceror
Jeff;785606 said:
Does any of that really matter, you can either do the task or not, right?

Thats what i was refering to, no need to suck up. Im just making a comment, not starting shit. observasion only. Take it how you want.

Jeff

Lord
Dian;785956 said:
Thats what i was refering to, no need to suck up. Im just making a comment, not starting shit. observasion only. Take it how you want.

How do you mistake that for attitude? I just made a statement, if i wanted to be a dick I would have been a lot more clear about it.

I'm curious as to why this thread wasn't locked after it was posted; the inquiries were supposed to be PM anyways right? Not trying to moderate, but just pointing out that if you give people the time-of-day to reply with ignorance, they will.

Anyways, since I took the time to reply: I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of this mysterious *spooky music* project becomes.
@Jeff: Keep me in the know?

</unwarranted opinion>

Sythen

Sorceror
Oh We All Love Ya Jeff!

Though I think that everyone, including myself, reads too much into these stupid posts. Regardless, something Jeff said made sense... but then again, if these forums were moderated in the first place, the little people like myself (oooo so humble :p) would probably not moderate things. Likewise, with all the respect in the world, Jeffs name did not appear in Ryans primary post and therefore no one can assume he has anything to do with this project. Dang, Jeffs an admin-moderator on RunUO?! All Hail Jeff!!! :D

Jeff

Lord
Well if you want clarification, its for a project i'm involved in, and pretty much doing a majority of the work for... oh well lets get back on subject, if you can make maps send me a sample(not the original just a image of it) in a pm and we can discuss.