RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Maps

Foul

Page
OK, :D I've been looking into custom maps and I'm pretty much ready. I've tried following the instructions at ryandor and this is what I have so far:

VERY small progress but I'm mainly just screwing around as I don't want to do a lot and get screwed cause I messed up everything. (this is the instructions: http://www.ryandor.com/files/makingmaps.11.pdf) and I'm using dragon mod 9 or attempting to at least but I need help from here, first of all am I doing anything wrong? Are these instructions outdated? Currently there is no instructions on how to compile the map files in the instructions so I was refraining from getting help till i really needed it and here I am. Help would be appreciated!

Foul

Page
OK, got everything up... but its really weird you can't walk smoothly on water or walk at all on land so I'm guessing something is messed up in dragon can I get some help?

Foul

Page
Sorry for triple posting, but the land issue is fixed! Still can't ride a seahorse smoothly in water however don't know if its a bug or not, and boats run smoothly as far as I know. My last issue is how will I get rid of the brown spots on the edge of shore the jaggedness? also the server lines seem a bit odd to..

Im curious, did you add statics? after you make a map you have to use dragonsp to add statics..., just get 2 blank dif files from ryandors files and change their name to statics#.mul and staidx#.mul and run them through dragonsp...

*note replace the # with what ever map you are replacing..if you replaced map0..then it would be statics0.mul.

Foul

Page
Yes sir, already did...have all the statics in that file as I didn't know which exactly to use. Dif files? the only thing Dragonsp patches is statics#.mul and stadix#.mul

I only said blank diff because you can rename them to .mul, what map did you7 replace? I mean the map name not number?

Click props and your char then change location to felucca and see if that changes anything. Also delete anything in your client folder that's says map0 except the 3 files from dragon...you rename blank diffs and put them in there if you want..such as staidif0.mul.

Just curious..did you overwrite the old statics0 files or use blank mul files to generate the statics?

Foul

Page
I used a blank mul, I am in felucca and everything looks a-ok except for what I mentioned in post #3, how can I do both trammel and felucca without causing issues if they use the same files?

edit;; I replaced a mul but I used a copy of it and backed up my old one, you can remove previous statics in dragon mod 9

The only time I ever had any problems as far as the brown squares around the shore was when I either froze or unfroze the map..Im trying to remember what I did that caused it.

Foul

Page
I also wanted to know if stadifl.mul files were needed.. and what they are for. I am also getting the faction minax fort in felucca on the map (but not the land itself) which I can't trace.

here is the instructions I used for a custom map

Also make sure you remove the following DIF files from your UO directory, as they are use to add changes to original map3 world which you won’t want as your not using the default map3

Stadifl3.mul
Stadifi3.mul
Stadif3.mul
Mapdifl3.mul
Mapdif3.mul

Likewise if you replace the original Map2, then you need to remove these DIF files from the UO directory.

Stadifl2.mul
Stadifi2.mul
Stadif2.mul
Mapdifl2.mul
Mapdif2.mul

Also you will want to remove the DIF files for the Map0 and Map1 as well as they will cause unwanted updates to areas of your custom world.

Stadifl0.mul
Stadifi0.mul
Stadif0.mul
Mapdifl0.mul
Mapdif0.mul
Stadifl1.mul
Stadifi1.mul
Stadif1.mul
Mapdifl1.mul
Mapdif1.mul

If any of the above DIF files exist in your UO folder, you will want to remove them… you can delete them, or move them into a backup folder incase you want them later.

Foul

Page
Aha!! Thanks, I'll find away around those brown spots but it shouldn't be too difficult.. thanks Dan.

Foul

Page
I'm facing new issues now, as dragon will not read maps smaller than trammel/felucca so this leaves ilshnear, malas, termur etc OUT of the picture. I tried with uolandscaper and it will not make the maps for ilsh etc.

You can use my Map Extractor utility to make ilshnear, malas and ter mur maps. You just create a full sized trammel map in dragon, but only complete the map area for the actual map you want to create. Design the smaller map in the upper-left corner of the big map. You can leave the rest of the map filled with water, grass or whatever.

After dragon compiles the map and statics files, run the extractor to pull out the smaller area of the map and discard the rest. Once done you will have smaller map and statics files formatted for the facet you chose.

This utility can also take map0 files that Dragon produces and expand them to the current size of the map0 files for updated clients.

The link to the post for the utility is http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/map-extractor.468585/. Check it out. I think it solve your problem of creating smaller maps.

Dougan