RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faulty z-levels after Centred map-tweaks

Steven Black

Wanderer
So I was able to get Centred up and running and did some minor edits to the Trammel maps/statics. I then converted map1.mul to LegacyMap1.uop (or whatever it's called) and copied LegacyMap1.uop, statics1.mul and staidx1.mul to my client folder.

When I log onto my local test install of RunUO, everything seems to work fine; however, when I upload the three files to our production server, it seems like the z-levels are all messed up (falling through the ground), falling to "ouch!" randomly, being unable to move in certain directions, etc.

Any thoughts? Are there other files that I should have transferred besides LegacyMap1.uop, statics1.mul and staidx1.mul?

Thanks!

Dian

Sorceror
Sounds like the RunUO version you are using is not a current enough version to have the support for the uop files.

m309

Squire
This issue has popped up every now and again. Sometimes the fault lies with invalid registry entries and the UO client mis-reading file locations. Check the production server/pc for another UO install. Specifically where the official UO download would dump the files by default (programs < games < EA Games - something like that), and if you find it, overwrite your custom files there too or just delete that entire install. I had this exact issue, and thats what fixed it.

Valorian

Wanderer
So, let me get that:

Centred is not just using the .mul files, it is simply using the whole installation? This could be my issue, too.. :confused: I will try this out, if it works... I hope it works...

Steven Black

Wanderer
I tried copying over all the files that obviously seem to be used by Centred and I'm still having the same issue. Will continue trying things, and if I find I resolve it, I'll post here (and likewise, please do the same if you can!)

Valorian

Wanderer
Of course I will do so. Maybe I will find out today. I will change the map size and whatever to check on this.

I changed all textures in the game and replaced them with new ones, so I had to write several files new. What I was wondering, is if I need the cliff and so on. Because I did not use any cliffs in my bmp... Also I don't want the programm to create the water, so coasts I also don't need. But it seems Centred is using this stuff. I was thinking that this throw me the error in the heights. But I am not sure. I have the source code, but it looks weired. Not commented in most cases, so it takes some time to walk through this stuff... One of my collegues is in this...

Steven Black

Wanderer
What exactly is the problem that you've having? It sounds as if it may be slightly different than mine...

I basically just took the base trammel map and made a couple modifications to Haven (cutting out some of the Tokuno statics and fixing a few tiles). Now, when I loaded this map onto the production server, when you run around you can't go in some directions, appear to fall ("ouch!") in other areas, fall through the ground, etc. This is true for the entire map, not just Haven (which is the only area that I modified).

Valorian

Wanderer
Ok, this is a bit different, but not so much. I can see the faulty z-levels. It looks like the mapz.bmp is not translated correctly. But anyway I changed basically everything.

:)

Steven Black

Wanderer
So I'm pretty sure I solved this issue. When you're going to use Centred, you need to convert the .uop files .mul for Centred to handle them, then, for the client to see them, you need to convert the .mul files back to .uop. All that the client needs is the .uop files; HOWEVER, it seems as if the server also needs the map.mul file. If you just copy over the map.uop file to the server you'll see the weird z-level stuff I was seeing.

Generally speaking I doubt this issue will affect too many people, as they wouldn't be doing map edits locally and then uploading to a remote server, but if you're seeing this z-issue, it's likely related to the map.mul file on the server I think.

Valorian

Wanderer
Hi, so, yes I solved all my problems, too with the help of a guy. I used mapmaker to do my stuff and now it is perfectly working :)