RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum merger, upgrade and site update phase 1 - Completed.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
As many of you know we have been down for about 48 hours through a massive forum migration to consolidate the core RunUO forums and update RunUO.com.

We are NOT DONE.

There is a ton of content updating that has to take place for RunUO.com and a lot of forum permissions that need to be updated for the community.

Please by all means feel free to shoot me a private message if you find such an issue.

Thanks,
Ryan

Barnicoat

Sorceror
Hah, you guys must be Legendary Mediums. I was just thinking about a week ago that the forums could do with an overhaul, and here it is. Good work again! :)

Looks amazing from aesthetic point of view but it seems to be overbearing on the eyes at some point and things are like hard to find... oh well its like having a new phone - we'll love it in a day or so :D

From what I see overall: (edited umpteen times every time I find something new...)
  • What's good so far:
    • Forums all merged to FINALLY be one, rather than halfway split, with a sorta-in-sync database shared between them: good. Now I need not bother with logging in with the exact same credentials just to post in a different portion.
    • We now have a strikethrough tag: finally! Been waiting quite a while for that.
    • We now have avatars shown next to posts. Potentially good, though it is a little lacking: 200x200 is perhaps way too large given how many lines many posts take. (plus, most of my avy collection isn't available that large) Also, there's no option to simply snatch a direct link from the Internet: you either have to upload it from your own computer, or use that "Gravatar" gimmick, which I'm sure is yet another fad that will be defunct and unusable in a year or two.
    • New PM system based on actual convos, rather than each missive: sounds really good. Keeping track of exchanges, especially over in-shard trades, should be much easier now. Even better if this means, as it looks, like our message limit has been increased/lifted. (I know *I* had to regularly empty my inbox)
    • Interface seems to run more slickly: feels better. The new pop-ups seem to help get stuff done faster than the older ones, and look better to boot. The only POSSIBLE nit-pick is that the "sign in" fields are now part of a pop-up, whereas before they were perpetually at the top of any page if you weren't signed in.
  • What's obviously incomplete:
    • Hybrid's website/forum links are back and works fine... The other three shards have problems. Divinity's still returns the vBulletin message of the past couple days, while both Demise and Revelation get an error. Not sure on whom responsibility has been shoved for those, but whoever it is they need a heads-up fast!
    • I suddenly went from being a few hundred posts away from being labeled as "Master of the Internet" to "New Member." (also, I went from ~9,300 posts to >28,000 "messages", whatever the hell that means) In short, most of the profile stuff seems to have been reduced to a mess. Most previously-entered profile information has been lumped into a mass of text, which when losing labels loses all context. (such as the "interests" field)
    • Similarly, the general structure of some forums appears to have been disrupted. Was some ability to nest categories lost? A key example would be the Demise "bugs & fixes" forums, where now you have the super-category "bugs and fixes" listed at the same level as all its child categories, provided you're looking at the "Demise" sub-category. (viewing the forums globally, you merely see the parent categories)
    • Also, Unicode support was possibly broken: I notice that for a lot of our non-roman-alphabet players, (particularly our Chinese playerbase) I see fill-in hexidecimal boxes instead of characters. This appears to be limited to the members list
    • A number of convenient features of the old system are currently lost/broken. The members list can no longer be sorted; you're stuck with the default alphabetical sorting, where as before you could sort by join date and total posts.
    • The "who posted?" feature is no gone; prior, you could click on the post-count of a thread to get a list of who posted, (and how many times) whereas now that's gone.
    • Also, although I never used it, I notice everyone's complaining about the lack of the "show new posts" button.
    • Another option missing is the ability to select how many posts to view per page.
    • Aside from the database being still jumbled, internal links and attachments are all broken 100%. This makes the migration a lot harder, since a LOT of useful guides, databases, etc. had been built around the previously-existing system. Ryan said he's putting a lot of importance on fixing this, which is great.
  • What makes me wary:
    • The white background with deeper blue accents... Can you say Facebook, anyone? If I wanted to use Facebook to connect with the RunUO/UOGamers community, I'd go to a RUO/UOG community on Facebook. I'd have to assume that there already is one anyway... I understand that optional skins are part of a fix, but
    • The whole "like" thing... Aside from being way too Facebook-y, it's shown to be problematic. Remember when all the forums used the decade-old "forum karma" system? That lasted for all of a few months on most of the sub-forums before being removed.
    • "Trophies." Achievements/trophies have been kinda dubious in games alone... At least in most cases. (excluding TF2 here) On a forum, they make even less sense, and potentially can lend toward post-whoring.
    • The new post editor: I don't like rich-text editors being the default. (after all, aren't a good portion of us RunUO fans supposed to be a little used to being around code?) Moreso, the plaintext/raw code version lacks any buttons for quick-inserting tags.
    • I seem to have lost the ability to select whether I attach my signature on a post-by-post basis. Given that my signature is mostly irrelevant outside of the Demise sub-section, this is inconvenient. (previously, I just de-selected the "apply signature" option on all posts on RunUO, other shards, etc.)
    • The new smilies look a little retarded, IMO. But that's minor.
All in all, I do like most of where things are headed, and hope that we see more and more done over then next few days. :)

Deimos

Page
Brave move, well done :)
Xenforo seems to have been stable since it's first release (Beta 1), a far cry from the crap that is Vbulletin 4 "gold", hehe.

September

Sorceror
WoW :eek: It Is Looking Really Great, Great Work! The Design is Fantastic, I love the Front Pages and About us page as well. I have been having RunUO withdrawls Since the down time began, lol, couldn't wait until the site was back up but it was WELL worth the wait that is for sure!!! Excited to see what it will all look like once completed. I love the Hover Profiles that is such a great feature.

I also Have To add That For the most part I agree with "Nottheking " So I hope that the "wary" section Of his post is just because the Forums are not "complete" yet :)