RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum merger, upgrade and site update phase 1 - Completed.

koka

Sorceror
i like the overall coding and design,especially avatar and signature function.

hope that the super category view can be implement sooner, as i would like to view latest threads in a list for trading posts rather than viewing directly from sub categories.

if there is a new posts button for sub forums would be wonderful.

great work anyway.

man the internal link breaking
From what I see overall:
  • What's good so far:
    • Forums all merged to FINALLY be one, rather than halfway split, with a sorta-in-sync database shared between them: good. Now I need not bother with logging in with the exact same credentials just to post in a different portion.
    • We now have a strikethrough tag: finally! Been waiting quite a while for that.
    • We now have avatars shown next to posts. Potentially good, though it is a little lacking: 200x200 is perhaps way too large given how many lines many posts take. (plus, most of my avy collection isn't available that large) Also, there's no option to simply snatch a direct link from the Internet: you either have to upload it from your own computer, or use that "Gravatar" gimmick, which I'm sure is yet another fad that will be defunct and unusable in a year or two.
  • What's obviously incomplete:
    • Hybrid's website/forum links are back and works fine... The other three shards have problems. Divinity's still returns the vBulletin message of the past couple days, while both Demise and Revelation get an error. Not sure on whom responsibility has been shoved for those, but whoever it is they need a heads-up fast!
    • I suddenly went from being a few hundred posts away from being labeled as "Master of the Internet" to "New Member." (also, I went from ~9,300 posts to >28,000 "messages", whatever the hell that means) In short, most of the profile stuff seems to have been reduced to a mess. Most previously-entered profile information has been lumped into a mass of text, which when losing labels loses all context. (such as the "interests" field)
    • Similarly, the general structure of some forums appears to have been disrupted. Was some ability to nest categories lost? A key example would be the Demise "bugs & fixes" forums, where now you have the super-category "bugs and fixes" listed at the same level as all its child categories, provided you're looking at the "Demise" sub-category. (viewing the forums globally, you merely see the parent categories)
    • Also, Unicode support was possibly broken: I notice that for a lot of our non-roman-alphabet players, (particularly our Chinese playerbase) I see fill-in hexidecimal boxes instead of characters. This appears to be limited to the members list
    • A number of convenient features of the old system are currently lost/broken. The members list can no longer be sorted; you're stuck with the default alphabetical sorting, where as before you could sort by join date and total posts.
    • The "who posted?" feature is no gone; prior, you could click on the post-count of a thread to get a list of who posted, (and how many times) whereas now that's gone.
  • What makes me wary:
    • The white background with deeper blue accents... Can you say Facebook, anyone? If I wanted to use Facebook to connect with the RunUO/UOGamers community, I'd go to a RUO/UOG community on Facebook. I'd have to assume that there already is one anyway... I understand that optional skins are part of a fix, but
    • The whole "like" thing... Aside from being way too Facebook-y, it's shown to be problematic. Remember when all the forums used the decade-old "forum karma" system? That lasted for all of a few months on most of the sub-forums before being removed.
    • "Trophies." Achievements/trophies have been kinda dubious in games alone... At least in most cases. (excluding TF2 here) On a forum, they make even less sense, and potentially can lend toward post-whoring.
    • The new post editor: I don't like rich-text editors being the default. (after all, aren't a good portion of us RunUO fans supposed to be a little used to being around code?) Moreso, the plaintext/raw code version lacks any buttons for quick-inserting tags.
    • I seem to have lost the ability to select whether I attach my signature on a post-by-post basis. Given that my signature is mostly irrelevant outside of the Demise sub-section, this is inconvenient. (previously, I just de-selected the "apply signature" option on all posts on RunUO, other shards, etc.)
    • The new smilies look a little retarded, IMO.
All in all, I do like most of where things are headed, and hope that we see more and more done over then next few days. :)

You forgot, internal forum links are fubared.

This really sucks for scripts that need dependencies

There's a lot of social networking type stuff that just doesn't make sense for this community but those can be ignored/not used

man the internal link breaking
Ah, yeah, just discovered that as I went to try and click on one of the links in my signature.

I hope they perhaps relax the rules on signatures back to the way they were when I first made mine... I'd been going about with it for a year or two as-is, and now all the links are broken.

There's a lot of social networking type stuff that just doesn't make sense for this community but those can be ignored/not used
Indeed, and I imagine it wouldn't be that hard for Ryan/whoever to give them something to stash them out of immediate sight. They needn't actually be cut out entirely; just not in everyone's face.

KoNNaN

Knight

Indeed, and I imagine it wouldn't be that hard for Ryan/whoever to give them something to stash them out of immediate sight. They needn't actually be cut out entirely; just not in everyone's face.

I already blocked the facebook thing with adblock.

I already blocked the facebook thing with adblock.
Some of us occasionally/frequently/usually access the site from more "public" computers, and hence in those cases don't get to have our own arsenal of plug-ins/preferred browser/etc. with us at every turn. So, we have to make do with whatever's on the machine in question, which is ALWAYS rather sad. (I'm just glad that around here they aren't stuck with only IE!)

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
You forgot, internal forum links are fubared.

This really sucks for scripts that need dependencies

We are working with the XenForo team to get a release system for custom scripts... and offered to pay someone to do it. It will get done.

The social networking stuff is staying and will make sense when we are completely done.

We are going to drive this community to be a much friendlier and more social place.

Its a shame that fucking browsers with addblock can't be blocked.
But Opera (when I get to use it...) is the best of browsers! :p That, and some of us naturally just auto-block flash by default, to protect ourselves from being assaulted by poorly-made and crash-prone flash aps/ads. Or even just to remove that potential vector for malware.

Though perhaps you might have also noticed that some of us despise Facebook. I'm hoping that we have the entire RunUO/UOGamers community as a distinct community of its own style, not as a Facebook tie-in or wannabe.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
But Opera (when I get to use it...) is the best of browsers! :p That, and some of us naturally just auto-block flash by default, to protect ourselves from being assaulted by poorly-made and crash-prone flash aps/ads. Or even just to remove that potential vector for malware.

Though perhaps you might have also noticed that some of us despise Facebook. I'm hoping that we have the entire RunUO/UOGamers community as a distinct community of its own style, not as a Facebook tie-in or wannabe.

Your disdain for facebook is quite obvious and I myself don't much care for it. I think Mark Zuckerwtfever is a dickhead and doesnt give two shits about your privacy but with that said a lot of people use it and it's an opportunity for us to get more exposure for the site. That means I will leave the facebook tie in because while you may not like it, it is good for the community as a whole which is what we should all be happy for.

I'm not going to debate about browsers... it's irrelevant but adblock is a pile of horse shit and as I said - if I could block the assholes who use adblock to modify the way I deliver MY CONTENT I would. I'd block every last person using it plain and simple. I'm not forcing ads down anyone's throat and I think it's bullshit that people would block portions of this site within the first few minutes of using it. It disgusts me.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
One last thing...

quit with the facebook references... this skin apart from being blue and white has nothing to do with facebook.

Oh, I should clarify: I don't mind the Facebook link at the bottom at all; I find it easy enough to simply ignore if I don't want it. And I can agree with wanting to use it to draw people in. Heck, if it can draw in some Facebook'ers that'd never heard of this before thanks to one of their friends "recommend"ing stuff here, that's downright great. I certainly can't fault you for wanting to take advantage of all avenues to ensure the success of this community.

The other part I WAS nit-picking on was the "like" function on individual posts. It HAS been pretty much a bandwagon that Facebook created, that has spread across most sites. If it, too, was able to be linked to Facebook, then I could see a point to that as well. But my guess was that it was just yet another post-rating/post-karma system, and I was just noting that the last such system didn't end well.

As for the AdBlock... I think we'll get an AdBlock blocker around the time cable companies and network executives get a DVR-blocker, and spammers get a spam filter cutter. I can understand your frustration with people only accepting the delivery of your content on their terms, but sadly, there's really not much of anything that can be done. It kind of ties in with the Facebook link: one may not like it, but it's become part of the way business is done.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
As for the AdBlock... I think we'll get an AdBlock blocker around the time cable companies and network executives get a DVR-blocker, and spammers get a spam filter cutter. I can understand your frustration with people only accepting the delivery of your content on their terms, but sadly, there's really not much of anything that can be done. It kind of ties in with the Facebook link: one may not like it, but it's become part of the way business is done.

I'm sure eventually there will be a way to block this...

Otherwise content delivery will change.

Deimos

Page
I rarely use adblock on sites I frequent, even the ones with ads, but it's the ones who insist on using seizure inducing flash banners and popups, that get blocked.