RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I connect to my shard? An exhaustive tutorial.

last update: April 22nd 2011

How do I connect to my shard? An exhaustive tutorial.

You want to start up a new shard? You want to connect to your shard for the first time? Then this tutorial is just the right thing for you. It will guide you through three simple steps: from editing the server configuration to editing the client configuration to finally getting rid of the client encryption.

1. I have downloaded the RunUO server. What now?
Configuring the server, windows and the router.

Note that Windows Vista and Windows 7 are very protective about the default "Program Files" folder. If you are not experienced with changing access rights you might want to move it into another location to avoid possible future problems. (e.g. "C:\RunUO\")
The following link will direct you to a tutorial for configuring the server:
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/shard-connections-configuring.83425/

After starting the server for the first time it will guide you through the process of creating your frist administrator account.

2. My server is now up and running. How do I connect to it?
Configuring the client.

Of course you have to have Ultima Online installed. Note that Kingdom Reborn is not supported by the RunUO server by default. There are other possible clients out there but they too require the Ultima Online data files and are not covered in this tutorial. Make sure that you have a clean Ultima Online installation. If you have played on other shards you might still have their custom map and statics files and you might want to clean those up.
Also note that Windows Vista and Windows 7 are very protective about the default "Program Files" folder. If you are not experienced with changing access rights you might want to install it into another location to avoid possible future problems. (e.g. "C:\UltimaOnline\")

You can get Ultima Online legally and for free from the official site: Ultima Online - Mondain's Legacy
Bear in mind that only a specific range of client versions run smoothly with RunUO. Especially clients with a lower version than 6.0.0.0 or greater than 7.0.12.x can cause problems with RunUO 2.1 (Further reading: http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/client-versions-uo-expansions-and-runuo-releases.96424/)

3. My server and client are configured but when I try to connect my server complains about me using an encrypted client. What now?
Taking care of client encryption.

Removing client encryption on the fly.
The best solution here is using Razor ( http://runuo.com/home/runuo.com/files/razor_latest.zip ). Simply install it and start it up. It will then start up UO and remove the client encryption directly from the data stream. No more worrying.

VoilĂ , you're done. Have fun on your shard.

PS: Links might be out of date some day. Just keep looking for the names and you will eventually find the new pages.

Beltzer1

Wanderer
You... are GOD's to me!! Thank you so much!
I've spent pretty much all day (it's really 5 am? ) reading these forums and many had peices of the puzzle but this was comprehensive and easy enough for my C# newbie, single cell, amoeba brain !! I feel like I'm going to die from over exclamation marks! I'm so damn happy right now!
You guys ROCK!
P.s. Incase some of the other vets read this, Thanks in advance. I probly read a post of yours and learned from it already lol.

Just keep in mind that this tutorial is a bit outdated since it's from 2009 and especially the version numbers aren't right any more.

Links updated. Patching client encryption removed since I couldn't find a UO Rice or UOCH release that supports current client versions.