RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Run UO on Ubuntu 9.04-up

aust77

Wanderer
HOW TO: Run UO on Ubuntu 9.04-up

I am aware of the other guide, but this one is updated and is a compilation of solutions for various problems I encountered while using the other guide. Not to put it down...

After bouts with .NET framework, Razor crashes and much more, I have finally been able to devise a guide for a typical Ubuntu user that wants to play UO. Follow these steps, and you'll be here in no time. Do note, however, that I managed to successfully run UO on Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" and currently Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala". Any earlier versions cannot be confirmed by me, as I have not tried them. It may work with these steps, but I cannot guarantee.

1. Get Wine Windows Compatibility Layer, either via System-Administration-Synaptic Package Manager or Add/Remove Programs (Ubuntu Software Center in 9.10)
2. Once it has been successfully installed, install winetricks using the following command via terminal:
wget www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
3. When winetricks is saved, run the command "sh winetricks" in a terminal.
4. A menu will come up with options to install.
5. Choose the "dotnet20" (.NET 2.0) and fontfix.
6. Follow the menu instructions.
7. After both have been successfully installed, download the Razor installer and UO.
8. Right click the installer and choose "Open With: Wine Windows Compatibility Layer".
9. Install both programs using that technique. When this is done, patch up UO to the required patch.
10. Run Razor, but most likely you will find the port box to be gray.
11. DO NOT WORRY! There is a fix for this.
12. Connect to an EA shard. You do not have to log in, or anything else. Just connect then exit.
13. Run "wine regedit" in a terminal.
14. Select HKEY-CURRENTUSER, then Software, then Razor.
15. Double click on the "LastServer" file (this was created from connecting to an EA shard-thus making step 12 necessary). (The credit of this step is given 100% to Blacula)
16. Change the value of it to whatever you wish.
17. Run Razor, input the server settings, and voila!

Additional Info: DO NOT TAMPER WITH ANY FILE AFTERWARDS!!! It is common to find UO crashing on 9.04. I got tired of this and tried fixes, but nothing worked, and UO wouldn't even work anymore. If you are running 9.04, either upgrade to 9.10 or stick with the crashing. It is only fixed in the 9.10 release of Wine.

Hope this saves people days of effort trying to get UO to work.

Courtesy of:
Lord_Greywolf, Blacula

Thalas

Wanderer
Nice work I got it to run thx for the tut it was giving me crash errors about .net 2.0 about one of the .dll so i uninstalled .net and download 2.0 right click ran it with wine and it all work from there thanks.

Rotreign

Wanderer
It doesn't work for me, the razor install wont recognize .NET framework being installed, even tho it is. Any ideas?

If you have a problem for installing dotnet20 on Winetricks. the solution is to create the 2 registry keys. 1) open a console and type : wine reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v2.0" and after wine reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework" /v InstallRoot This sould fix the problem :)

noonehome

Sorceror
i have a problem with razor and ubuntu 10.10... razor installed fine and runs and of course gives the cliloc error but i hit ok point it to the correct directories for the client and put in my server and hit okay and i get a error... "Unable to launch the client specified. (Error: UNKNOWN_ERROR) Custom: "C:\UltimaOnline\client.exe"

I can navigate to the ultima online client dir and run the client fine... razor just doesnt want to start it...

any ideas on how to fix?

Amako

Sorceror
The one issue I have is all my macros that are common to ALT or Ctrl Keys don't work. Can anyone help me with this problem.

Zetrix11

Traveler
I seem to get UO to work but not along with Razor and its driving me insane :(.
ive done everything right ive checked like 5 other forums and they keep saying what you said mate but it doesnt work.

Razor doesnt even launch it crashes directly ive tried updater.exe same there it just crashes. Ive been trying for like 4 - 5 hours now im desperate.