RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incorporating Map Changes Into The World Save

Praxiiz

Sorceror
I'm building a system that allows the client maps to be altered while the game is running. The major obstacles in the client are out of the way now and I am starting to look at how to implement the system on the server end.

It occurred to me today that if a server using the system had to rollback a world save for some reason, I need a way to synchronize the maps to that world save. Does anyone have a guess on how big of a performance hit the world save would take if I simply made a copy of the current maps / statics files and backed them up along with the world save?

Also, should I only send out client updates when a client enters part of the map where there is a change, or should I send out all changes to all the clients when the changes are made? Should I synchronize the clients when they connect or try to transfer it in the background?

floppydisc

Sorceror
Regarding your last question(s):

The system I was thinking about in regards to CentrED would use checksums. Each block (the combination of a map block and statics block) would be hashed into a simple 4 byte hash. A client cashes all blocks it knows. If you connect to the game, you request the hashes of the surrounding blocks (that you want to show/render). If some are missing or the checksum differs, request the whole block and update the local map/statics cache.
The client also requests updates for surrounding blocks. The amount of "subscribed" blocks should be limited by the server - I think 64 or 128 should be a good amount. Whenever a block changes serverside, all subscribed clients will get the new block. The subscription should only be handled server side: whenever a client requests a block-hash, it obviously needs to render it --> add a subscription. If there already is a subscription to that block (from that client), move it to the front of the queue. If the maximum of subcriptions is reached while adding a new one, delete the last one. Therefore I suggest a linked list as ring buffer/queue here.

Praxiiz

Sorceror
The system I was thinking about in regards to CentrED would use checksums. Each block (the combination of a map block and statics block) would be hashed into a simple 4 byte hash. A client cashes all blocks it knows. If you connect to the game, you request the hashes of the surrounding blocks (that you want to show/render). If some are missing or the checksum differs, request the whole block and update the local map/statics cache.
The client also requests updates for surrounding blocks. The amount of "subscribed" blocks should be limited by the server - I think 64 or 128 should be a good amount. Whenever a block changes serverside, all subscribed clients will get the new block. The subscription should only be handled server side: whenever a client requests a block-hash, it obviously needs to render it --> add a subscription. If there already is a subscription to that block (from that client), move it to the front of the queue. If the maximum of subcriptions is reached while adding a new one, delete the last one. Therefore I suggest a linked list as ring buffer/queue here.

A publisher/subscriber pattern does make sense. The hashing makes sense too. I think what you have posted will be a good approach to my second set of questions. Thank you.

As for the first part (synchronizing the maps with the world saves), does anyone know of a good strategy that would work similar to SVN? I.E. some way to track/save changes to a set of base maps that could be rebuilt on a world load.