RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to move smoothly inside a boat ?

xantier

Sorceror
Hello, after a little research, I have found viridian's SVN for high seas, ship addons and smooth movement. It actually works perfect, totally smooth for ships but, is there a new packet that allows players inside the boat move without spikes ? I mean, when you try to move inside a moving boat, the client makes the character step back, just like it is laggy or you are stuck on an impassable object. Other players see you step smoothly but in the client side, it is a torture. Is there a smooth movement for also players that prevents laggy movement in boats ?

only if there was a way to have two phases of a character, where they currently are and another copy of where they'll be already, switching the two out of phase, rather than having the instance of the character 'moving' onto the next location, and the next location, and the next location; turning off a phase for another phase

m309

Squire
only if there was a way to have two phases of a character, where they currently are and another copy of where they'll be already, switching the two out of phase, rather than having the instance of the character 'moving' onto the next location, and the next location, and the next location; turning off a phase for another phase

That would be even worse. Then there would be no animation at all, just a character blinking around like it was teleporting.

Vorspire

Knight
I don't have these issues with my implementation, can walk around on a moving boat just fine.
Make sure you're setting NoMoveHS property on all dynamic entities inside the boat properly.

kevin10

Sorceror
I think he's talking about the choppy/rubber band effect when you move in a boat that is moving. It seems that Thais is an issue on EA shards too.

Vorspire

Knight
I think he's talking about the choppy/rubber band effect when you move in a boat that is moving. It seems that Thais is an issue on EA shards too.

Oh, I know what he's referring to - and I always try to do one better than OSI in my work ;)

I've been working with a vehicle system that allows flying, land and water vehicles - all of which move smoothly and allow you to walk around on-board without that crappy rubber-banding effect :)

It's all down to timing, how and when the correct packets are sent, sometimes OSI doesn't even get their own implementations right and we have to step-in as a community to fix it.