RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It is imperative that you know.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
It is imperative that you know.

The RunUO Team's entire datacenter infrastructure is located in Houston, Texas which is under threat of a Category 5 Hurricane. At this time, our datacenter has assured us that they are prepared to deal with the storm and be operational during and after.

In that regard, the RunUO Team has begun its disaster planning and is in the process of backing up the ENTIRE RUNUO NETWORK, well over 12 Terabytes of data and 10 servers and putting it in 5 offsite locations. We are very fortunate right now to know ahead of time that the network is in danger, and are taking every precaution to ensure we are safe in the event our datacenter does not survive.

Our datacenter staff are going to be operating under limited numbers due to the hurricane but will be there to assist us if need be. As an extra precaution they have installed an additional rental generator and have in excess of 10,000 gallons of fuel on site.

At this time, we have no reason to be concerned that the coming storm will have any impact what-so-ever on the RunUO Network, but as with any large network we are taking the necessary precautions to ensure we can be up and running within 24 hours if our datacenter and hardware are destroyed.

On behalf of the entire RunUO Team we appreciate your continued support of RunUO and all of its associated projects.

Thanks,
Ryan McAdams
RunUO Project Manager

bzk90

Lord
i wasnt aware of any hurricane in the area, thanks for the heads up about the danger ryan...............12 terrabytes!!!!!

Phantom

Knight
If you ever wonder why Ryan is slow to do update the site, fix problems that sort of thing, is because he has lots things to worry about.

All I am saying, its not as easy as hitting a button, to make a new subdomain.

Alis

Wanderer
wasnt it hosted on ev1 servers ? omg why didnt they tell me about anything me to have 200 gb document :) data but 11 terabyte is way too big ..

S

Savaal

Good Luck

Sorry I have not been on I been working on my new Tech / Gaming community this is all to intense I knew poeple in New Orleans this as a tragety and now its going to happen to Texas its a shame I wish you guys good luck on backing up 12 Terabytes thats a lot of freaking backing up You guys have gave me a lot of knoweledge and I grew up here I don't wanna see it go down GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL God Bless :(

Lysdexic

Sorceror
My gf's parent's just got their evacuation notice :(

IF (notice the small word with the really big meaning) anything does happen, and RunUO could use help in any form, be sure to tell us.

Yea, the storm has 175 mph sustained winds with peak wind gusts of 200 mph. I'd expect about 30' surge if that was to hit land that strong. I myself live in the Houston area. I live over 50 feet above sea-level so I don't think surge is the problem I'm going to have. A HUGE problem though is wind + trees + rain. If you have ever been in an airplane over Houston, you would see tons and tons of trees everywhere. It's like a big forest. The part I live in is a bunch of 200' pine trees surrounding me. It's a bad deal because pine trees have shallow roots, so shallow roots + rain + 175 mph wind = mass down trees - on buildings, cars, roads, powerlines. Oh yea and the National Hurricane center just focused the projection towards Galveston/Houston once again where the projection originally was.

This is gonna cripple the american economy if does even half the damage as KAtrina. Lets see Supermans.... i mean Bushs' reaction. Maybe he'll react by christmas.

Phantom

Knight
QuIcK_FiNgErS said:
This is gonna cripple the american economy if does even half the damage as KAtrina. Lets see Supermans.... i mean Bushs' reaction. Maybe he'll react by christmas.

It was not Bush's job to send aid, without being told to do so by local goverment. There are laws against just sending people into the state.

The local and federal goverment are responsible, how much each person is, depends on what exactly were talking about.

devilstail

Wanderer
Well i hat to say this but i think the protection of the RunUo team is a lil more important than the sofware of it good luck guys

you guys r in our thoughts:(

MarciXs

Sorceror
You wonder why there is those storms? Because there is too much oxide up there. Thanks to cars , and other industry buildings which makes it more in air. The plants can't get it all coverted before it's made more. So the oxide is up there in sky( I wish i knew English better to say it right ... :( )
And the sun is warming the air but thanks to oxide, warm can't get back(like disepear). So the temperature is going up which cause all this storms etc.
It's called greenhouse effect. It's just when those oxide's and others chimical elements ( mostly from cars etc. ) lates the warm which comes from sun to get lost. So .. i hope you understand what i mean.... i know my english is bad.

It's wierd atcually.

bzk90

Lord
it was a 5 in my web design class today, we had to find high res photos of it on the noaa.gov site, looks like a gorrila got a hold of dreamweaver and made that site!

the project was to point out why the site sucked so bad
http://www.noaa.gov ;/