RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mondain's Legacy

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Mondain's Legacy

There comes a time where coding what OSI has become is no longer fun and unfortunately some of us just do not like Mondains Legacy.

With that said we're looking to expand the RunUO Team and add some new developers who enjoy Mondains Legacy and would like to help complete it. If you feel like you're that person please let me know via email or private message here on the forums.

Thanks,
Ryan

Macil

Sorceror
I think its neat. =(

Granted, thats from what I've heard and read of, I've not actually played it ever.

eh Mondains Legacy is pretty tight addition, i played it for a couple months before removing my subscription to OSI, i think itd be good to add into RunUO

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Manu;728997 said:
I know I probably wont get an answer, but...

Do you plan to include the full ML support in the 2.0 final? I'm asking because I have timetables of my own and I would like to know if its realistic for me to plan with something within a few weeks, months, or years.

Yes we do thats why we're trying to get some help with ML. There are some HUGE changes coming in the next RC that are core related.

Rabban

Sorceror
If someone were to work on ML, would they need an account on the paying servers or is second hand information sufficient (aka from uo.stractics.com, etc)?

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Rabban;729035 said:
If someone were to work on ML, would they need an account on the paying servers or is second hand information sufficient (aka from uo.stractics.com, etc)?

I have 5 accounts for data mining - We've got TONS of RPV's and all that stuff.

nice, i still have my account, since i have been also trying to complete an ML Supported copy of runuo as a side project for myself

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
J MaNN;729063 said:
Is this information or help going for RC2 completion? (and i don't expect to get a reply either, i think he got lucky :p)

Boy arent you guys some funny assholes lately...

RC2 is around the corner for a security release. ML is going to be the goal for 2.0 final.

We hope to have that out early next year but with out community support it will not happen and frankly we've never asked for community support like this before...

Manu

Knight
Ryan;729027 said:
Yes we do thats why we're trying to get some help with ML. There are some HUGE changes coming in the next RC that are core related.

Thanks a lot for the info :)

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Midnightdragon;729097 said:
Honestly I thought that was the purpose of the SVN to begin with a place for the community to submit user created changes for upcoming runuo releases then we got RunUOForge which I know was not just a replacement for the idea or anything but a place for users to add their own projects as an SVN.

This was what the purpose of the SVN was but it's not really gotten us anywhere. There are a few users who actively submit patches but the number of people that do not are FAR more. RunUOForge is a place for people that write custom scripts to house them. It is a way to organize it and eventually get rid of script submission forums because they are terrible to moderate and control. There's just far to much stuff there.

So what is the deal anyhow? Will there ever be a time users can help code stuff as a more direct implementation to the releases?

What have we done that has stopped this? We do not get any submissions from 99.5% of our userbase. We are ACTIVELY asking for them right now and still we've gotten nothing. We are not going to open up the SVN to every user that wants it if that's what you're asking. The SVN has to be controlled and the quality of code in it has to measure up to what we've put out in the past 5 years otherwise it wont go in. If a patch is submitted to us that isn't up to the coding standards of RunUO the information contained it is used and the code is rewritten appropriately.

I think asking the community for help could be the best idea. By specifying what it is you would like to do and then letting the community step up far more work gets done and far faster. It takes some of the load off of the team allowing more time for other important things too.

Did I not just do this? We don't really like to code for ML but I've not seen anyone come forward and say hey I'll help with this other than Ronin and he's already been in contact with me on IRC and we will be actively utilizing his skills to try to get ML done.

In other words... I don't really understand the point you're trying to make. We are trying to get ML finished and we're asking for help because frankly it's not something we enjoy. We've got a couple of guys from UO Gamers: Demise that are going to help us and Ronin but I can't guarantee that they'll have the time... we'll just have to see what happens.

CEO

Sorceror
Ryan;729172 said:
What have we done that has stopped this? We do not get any submissions from 99.5% of our userbase. We are ACTIVELY asking for them right now and still we've gotten nothing. We are not going to open up the SVN to every user that wants it if that's what you're asking. The SVN has to be controlled and the quality of code in it has to measure up to what we've put out in the past 5 years otherwise it wont go in. If a patch is submitted to us that isn't up to the coding standards of RunUO the information contained it is used and the code is rewritten appropriately.
Hmm, I've always thought that SVN was read-only and was unaware of any procedure to submit changes as well what the "coding standards" are.

Standards can be quite subjective depending on the method used to determine them. I realize it's probably easy to look at something and know right off if it's "junk" vs. a more difficult task trying to compare someone's coding practices with someone's else's and deciding it's not efficient or structured enough for the current code. That goes both ways as well I guess.

Maybe if you had a specific list of stuff to do? I can certainly work on all the crap items and add-ons. Personally I don't really want to get into core stuff though because I know what my coding limitations are (and honest to admit it!) and I certainly don't have enough knowledge (yet) of that side of things, but I'm comfortable with the standard script folder stuff.

But only Ronin? I've asked in the past about helping, but seem to never hear back. I'm not always on IRC live (is that a strict requirement, or is there a specific meeting time/schedule for get togethers?) and while I'm sure you probably get 'volunteer' requests quite frequently for forum help or Dev stuff (or I guess not according to your post) could you at least please respond to mine with a "No, you'll never be considered because of your EasyUO affiliation" or something so I don't continue to feel like I'm wasting time? :p If nothgin else I'm a good organizer/scheduler from past "State Jobs" and other things that I could at least participate from a "management" position and owning my own biz I have time to do whatever I want to do usually. lol

Thanks.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
CEO;729185 said:
Hmm, I've always thought that SVN was read-only and was unaware of any procedure to submit changes as well what the "coding standards" are.

Use the patch functions of SVN and then submit them to us via email, PM or any other format you prefer?

CEO;729185 said:
Standards can be quite subjective depending on the method used to determine them. I realize it's probably easy to look at something and know right off if it's "junk" vs. a more difficult task trying to compare someone's coding practices with someone's else's and deciding it's not efficient or structured enough for the current code. That goes both ways as well I guess.

Maybe if you had a specific list of stuff to do? I can certainly work on all the crap items and add-ons. Personally I don't really want to get into core stuff though because I know what my coding limitations are (and honest to admit it!) and I certainly don't have enough knowledge (yet) of that side of things, but I'm comfortable with the standard script folder stuff.

Again part of the problem is that we do not know everything about ML and we're looking for people that do to help us. I did get your PM but to be honest I would be concerned about your ability to commit time given running a big project like EasyUO it's nothing personal and I did look for you on IRC after I read it to talk to you about it but you weren't there... I do like to use IRC as a form of communication for people who are going to be doing dev work for RunUO it's just good to have people there and it doesnt hurt to leave a client idle in IRC.

CEO;729185 said:
But only Ronin? I've asked in the past about helping, but seem to never hear back. I'm not always on IRC live (is that a strict requirement, or is there a specific meeting time/schedule for get togethers?) and while I'm sure you probably get 'volunteer' requests quite frequently for forum help or Dev stuff (or I guess not according to your post) could you at least please respond to mine with a "No, you'll never be considered because of your EasyUO affiliation" or something so I don't continue to feel like I'm wasting time? :p If nothgin else I'm a good organizer/scheduler from past "State Jobs" and other things that I could at least participate from a "management" position and owning my own biz I have time to do whatever I want to do usually. lol

Thanks.

We really dont need any management type stuff atm we need grunts unfortunately... people that will packetlog, people that will code and peoiple that know ML that can make lists of what is missing.

We've got some of it done but we need more people... many hands makes light work right? :)

CEO

Sorceror
Ryan;729213 said:
....commit time given running a big project like EasyUO it's nothing personal and
Yeah, I understand, the website is pretty much maint. free (except for the HD failure I just had to take care of!) though and the only time I really need to do anything is when EA patches. I'd point the extensive list of stuff I've contributed and written so far to address my time availability.

Ryan;729213 said:
I did look for you on IRC after I read it to talk to you about it but you weren't there... I do like to use IRC as a form of communication for people who are going to be doing dev work for RunUO it's just good to have people there and it doesnt hurt to leave a client idle in IRC.
Trillian logs me in, but I rarely have anything to say. Oh, and when I'm gone for a few hours my system goes into standby mode (to quiet the room down) and I don't always reconnect. :) But if I'm there I'm usually idle...

Ryan;729213 said:
We've got some of it done but we need more people... many hands makes light work right?
100% agreement there. I get as many people as possible to help on the EUO site, so I have free time for other things too. :rolleyes: I've actually found myself spending more time here lately then easyuo.com, although lately both sites have become boring TBH, because it all seems to be a 3-6 month cycle of rinse and repeat posts/questions over and over again. :( At least here I'm sometimes surprised, as not many people are scripting EUO, probably because the lib is extensive enough there's not many tasks left to do and the really good stuff doesn't get shared anyways or breaks our rules. :)

mitty

Sorceror
I can help with information Ryan if you'd like....

My scripting abilities compared to the Run UO team or very pale in comparison, but having played real UO for 8 plus years and doing pretty much everything in game, I would love to try and help with the ML content, even if just in written form (submissions via messaging etc.) or could script to the best of my knowledge of C# and you guys could clean it up. LOL. Let me know what you need or if/how I could help Ryan. :D

Ryan;729172 said:
In other words... I don't really understand the point you're trying to make. We are trying to get ML finished and we're asking for help because frankly it's not something we enjoy. We've got a couple of guys from UO Gamers: Demise that are going to help us and Ronin but I can't guarantee that they'll have the time... we'll just have to see what happens.

well i pretty much have no life outside of work, so i get off work around Noonish, EST soz ill be free pretty much all day,.

but anyways, MD, as was stated, he pretty much is asking the community for help now, and yeah, i see what you mean about just allowing others to randomly put stuff in but again as stated, doing so would require pretty much having to look over every piece of code submitted making it more of a hassle to apply to RunUO, making sure 1. all the code is correct, 2. as said up to RunUO par, and 3. actually works with the other code in RunUO.

having a team of developers i do see as easier instead of 10K+ users submitting stuff, for 1. there isnt going to be 1000s of the same script submitted, and 2. fewer people to have to communicate to about things needing done.

just my 2 cents on the topic at hand

Glasgowx

Wanderer
First off thanks Ryan and runuo, all of us over at Demise appreciate the effort. Now I will see if I can find some people who play on Demise and see if they know how to code. That will give the playerbase something to focus on instead of bitching and complaining. Good luck and thanks again.

jeremymcc

Sorceror
is some of the older stuff that hasn't been put in yet going to be added also? example: The Dark Guardian Room, Doom Lever Puzzle + Poison Room or the rest of the vet rewards. I know the vet rewards and lever puzzle/poison room have already been coded by others but I'm wondering if stuff like this is going to be added for completion purposes. thank you.

stormwolff

Knight
Draegen;729272 said:
Im referring to the lastest 6.0.5 2D client not KR because KR clients just blows all the way around.

It would be pretty safe to assume that since the code to allow the latest client to connect is already in the current SVN that it would make it in to any future RunUO releases.