RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mondain's Legacy

Jeff

Lord
Ryan;728927 said:
There comes a time where coding what OSI has become is no longer fun and unfortunately some of us just do not like Mondains Legacy.

With that said we're looking to expand the RunUO Team and add some new developers who enjoy Mondains Legacy and would like to help complete it. If you feel like you're that person please let me know via email or private message here on the forums.

Thanks,
Ryan

Do you guys even read? You know Mark takes patches for SVN, and yes he sometimes uses them (If they are up to par coding-wise). I know several members of the community that have submitted patches for various things and they have been added to the repo. If you guys want ML, you are going to have to create it, submit it, and if it is good enough it will more than likely be added to the repository.... OOOOORRRR, we can sit here and talk shit all day, up to you...

Ulrich

Wanderer
Ryan;729078 said:
RC2 is around the corner for a security release. ML is going to be the goal for 2.0 final.

We hope to have that out early next year but with out community support it will not happen and frankly we've never asked for community support like this before...

this was posted in Dec. 2007

With all the offers for support on this thread he couldn't get enough people to help...? but if he didn't (because frankly he might have been only looking for top drawer coders) then let us know... You all are welcome to think of me as harsh or what ever... those who know me know I'm a big supporter of the Demise community and support the runuo/demise team...

I understand getting burned out... I've burnt out on many projects... but I let people know if something isn't going to happen as fast as planned or at all, especially if their are people excited about it and asking about it.

I guess most around here have the mentality of:

I don't owe anyone anything, and they can just STFU and be happy with what they got.... not like they did anything to deserve what I've provided... and if they don't like it they can leave.

when in a lot of cases you have people that are genuinely excited about the product and future of said product that you provided. They just want to know what they can look forward to. Sure they don't deserve anything and you owe none of them... but if that is the case why provide something in the first place? Don't you provide this to see people get enjoyment out of something you created and enjoyed building....? maybe I'm just naive, but that's how I go about it in my life.

So in closing, I mean nothing in disrespect and thank you for Demise and runUO... but I'm speaking for a large group of people that are excited to know the future of your products.

Jeff

Lord
Ulrich;789206 said:
this was posted in Dec. 2007

With all the offers for support on this thread he couldn't get enough people to help...? but if he didn't (because frankly he might have been only looking for top drawer coders) then let us know... You all are welcome to think of me as harsh or what ever... those who know me know I'm a big supporter of the Demise community and support the runuo/demise team...

I understand getting burned out... I've burnt out on many projects... but I let people know if something isn't going to happen as fast as planned or at all, especially if their are people excited about it and asking about it.

I guess most around here have the mentality of:

I don't owe anyone anything, and they can just STFU and be happy with what they got.... not like they did anything to deserve what I've provided... and if they don't like it they can leave.

when in a lot of cases you have people that are genuinely excited about the product and future of said product that you provided. They just want to know what they can look forward to. Sure they don't deserve anything and you owe none of them... but if that is the case why provide something in the first place? Don't you provide this to see people get enjoyment out of something you created and enjoyed building....? maybe I'm just naive, but that's how I go about it in my life.

So in closing, I mean nothing in disrespect and thank you for Demise and runUO... but I'm speaking for a large group of people that are excited to know the future of your products.
I do not know of anyone that was chosen, but i also don't care enough to find out. I have been asked countless times to help, but to be honest, any part of the code that is UOR related or greater, i just dont want to tough... im old school what can I say. I can't speak for Ryan, but i do know he wants it finished, but finding people that are reliable, and can code well, isn't easy... If you think otherwise, you are an idiot.

Acronis

Sorceror
When it comes to programming if you want something done well you have to do it yourself. So finding reliable people CAN be hard. This is why my shard only has 2 devs. Me and a friend I went to college with. We coded ML from ground up, from scratch starting from RC1. Our next step now is retiring the serialize system and going to SQL. I tried Mono but it's not worth the trouble. As much as I'd like to see windows gone from my server, it's not going to happen.\

OSI releases stuff often so it's not easy to keep up and one has to decide what is worth coding and what is not (ex: a 10 day promotion thingy may not be worth the effort).

Macil

Sorceror
Jeff;789230 said:
That doesn't make sense...

Uh? Which part? Hes entitled to his own opinion. If he thinks its easy finding help, who's to stop him from thinking it? Right?

I think this whole page long debate is kind of silly and its not really going anywhere. Its probably going to end up locked because all its going to do is stir everyone up because one person has a different opinion on what is or is not considered rude or respectful. In the end, everyone is just going to argue and argue and blow it out of proportion just like countless other threads in the past that just end up with everyone hating each other, the thread gets locked and there is never a resolve to any of the arguing.

I suggest a change in topic here, for the sake of everyone not hating each other later. Ulrich said what he felt, you all said how you felt about what he said. Nothings going to change anything, lets just move on and try to stay positive. We're all on the same side here.

Ulrich

Wanderer
Jeff;789223 said:
So you think it's easy to find people? wow....

No I know it's not easy... and I think a very simple question to one person has gotten blown completely out of proportion... although seeing some life in a thread is refreshing. all I want to know is yes or no Is the implementation of ML for the final release of 2.0 and on demise still moving forward.... I'd bet there is a huge amount of people out here that would like to know....

Have a good weekend all,

Jeff

Lord
Ulrich;789255 said:
No I know it's not easy... and I think a very simple question to one person has gotten blown completely out of proportion... although seeing some life in a thread is refreshing. all I want to know is yes or no Is the implementation of ML for the final release of 2.0 and on demise still moving forward.... I'd bet there is a huge amount of people out here that would like to know....

Have a good weekend all,

That isn't how you asked it. You were a lot more rude... I would answer... but...

Kons.snoK

Sorceror
i'll make Malganis now about this thread :)

About KR and SA : i got KR supporting server, and, even if client will be different ( SA ) , i think all new packets used in KR will be mantained, so thigs to do will be (apart from adding new stuff) only patching Client. So it's not useless :D

Another thing: where's RunUO's bugs tracker? just to know what's left to come to RunUO2 Release.

HellRazor

Knight
Ulrich;789171 said:
If that got under Ryans skin... then he must be curled up in the fetal position crying every night over some of the stuff I've seen posted. throughout this thread I've asked nicely, I even wrote some yes no questions... so all he would have to do is answer yes or no to 3 questions.... and you know what most of those didn't create any kind of buzz on this forum.... at least being more direct has got more people talking.

you keep saying he has no interest in making ML... well then he shouldn't of given everyone hope by posting about it here and on the Demise forums.... or if it is truly not going to happen... at all or anytime soon... respect your community enough to let them know.

I haven't seen the post on Demise. I'm going off of what he and other devs have said right here at RUO.

For what its worth I would like to see ML officially supported too.

HellRazor

Knight
Also guys keep in mind - Ryan is more the "public face", web page guy, and community manager for RUO than a lead programmer. He does some programming but he's not a primary contributor to the RUO source (at least I'm pretty sure about that). So even if Ryan wanted to get ML done, wanting it and being able to execute it is 2 different things.

Like Jeff said, finding dedicated programmers that can code to the level of quality Ryan, Krrios, and the rest of the devs expect for RUO is not easy. Especially not for a game as old as UO. UO isn't exactly in demand these days, its a 10+ year old game engine. One of the reasons RUO is so stable is that right from the start they set the goal of only releasing stable, well done code.

I guess I go back to a few points tho.

- Nothing wrong with asking questions. Asking rudely is not likely to get anyone a positive response or make anyone more inclined to do what you are asking. Actually it makes them LESS inclined. If you had to deal with thousands of rude and whiney people for 4+ years while providing free software to ingrates you would probably feel the same way. I'm sure it gets real old after awhile.

- The devs all have a life outside of RUO. Honestly Ryan has never been real big on answering PM's or posts and its probably because he doesn't live on these forums. Personally I'm thankful that the team continues to support this project after 10+ years of UO.

- If the devs have no desire to add ML to RUO I don't think any amount of bitching is going to sway them, although if people ask and express interest in a nice way it is a lot more likely to sway them than demands and sarcasm.

I mean seriously, is it so hard to understand? Nice > Nasty when you're asking someone to do something for you. Thats all I'm saying.

Ulrich

Wanderer
Jeff;789278 said:
That isn't how you asked it. You were a lot more rude... I would answer... but...

You already said you did not know... and I already asked nicely...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich
1: Is this project still being worked on?

I don't know.
Quote:
2: Will we see anything before the new year?

I don't know.
Quote:
3: is this going to be one big release? (meaning you may have some stuff done... but you are waiting to get it all done before you release any of it)

I don't know.

Sorry, those are all truth.

Jeff

Lord
Ulrich;789400 said:
You already said you did not know... and I already asked nicely...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
1: Is this project still being worked on?

I don't know.
Quote:
2: Will we see anything before the new year?

I don't know.
Quote:
3: is this going to be one big release? (meaning you may have some stuff done... but you are waiting to get it all done before you release any of it)

I don't know.

Sorry, those are all truth.

You are still missing the entire point, Ryan wants to get it done, but as far as i know not enough people on the team want to do it... This was stated in the very first post. Then I said, no one that i know if has been brought a board.... thus it is probably (i don't know for sure, only speculation) in the same condition it was in prior to your questions. If you can't help, wait like everyone else....

Thats the only answer you are more then likely going to see.... if you don't like it, sorry but thats what it is...

Pont

Knight
Jeff;789404 said:
You are still missing the entire point, Ryan wants to get it done, but as far as i know not enough people on the team want to do it... This was stated in the very first post. Then I said, no one that i know if has been brought a board.... thus it is probably (i don't know for sure, only speculation) in the same condition it was in prior to your questions. If you can't help, wait like everyone else....

Thats the only answer you are more then likely going to see.... if you don't like it, sorry but thats what it is...
What would make you guys on the dev team want to do it apart from showing people that it can be done and setting the standard for all other OSI like free shards as a runuo flagship?
I want the runuo OSI like shard to be the best OSI like shard out there, what can I do as a mere player/mortal?

Edit: please see here: http://www.uodemise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108674