RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Character Dungeon Quests

Introduction
- This is my first official release after being a leecher for far too long.
- I am using an empty dungeon found to the south while in Green Acres. This dungeon is where new characters start, and since I have had a couple people that have never played UO playing on the shard, it is meant to be a bit of a tutorial place.
- The quests included are simple kill/purchase quests, just what a new player needs to get familiar with.
- I set up 4 Nerun's Premium Spawners in this dungeon and each one spawns a random quest giver. - Because of my set up, I am not using the Samurai, Ninja, or Necromancy starter quests, so I am using some of the quest items from those in this pack. I am also using some other reward items.
- My players get to choose all of their starting skills, which are set to 25, and the difficulty of the monsters is set to be challenging, but manageable, for them. The difficulty level can be altered pretty easily if you want.
- On my shard, the goal is to get the player to complete 2 kill quests and 2 purchase quests, each give an Exit Deed, and those 4 Exit Deeds must be given to Bastion the Gatekeeper. He will then reward the player with an Exit Conch (Horn of Retreat) which teleports the player to the Bank in Skara Brae. As the players don't get runebooks right off the bat, the Exit Conch allows the player to get back to the bank 9 additional times (in case they get lost or whatever).

What is included
- 8 Custom Monsters
- 16 Quest Givers
- 1 Gatekeeper
- 2 Custom items
- You will also need to spawn a Blacksmith, Tanner, Bowyer, Alchemist, Weaponsmith, and Carpenter for the Purchase Quest givers

Installation
- Drag and drop into your Customs folder
- Restart Server

Credits
- The Counterfeit Script Creator devs for giving me some insight on implementing quests
- RunUO devs for, well, creating and supporting RunUO
- EA for, nothing

Notes
- This was set up and is used on RunUO 2.2. I do not know how far back the compatibility will go, nor will I be supporting previous versions.
- *Start Disclaimer* I probably forgot something so if you find it, let me know. Feel free to report any bugs (I haven't found any except I got lazy with the delayed deletion of the Quest giver after you bring him the item requested, so to see his message, you have to look in your journal) and I will work on them as soon as I can. *End Disclaimer*

Attachments

• New Character Quests.zip
    39.6 KB · Views: 264
Thanks guys, I got a bit of inspiration to set up a beginning dungeon from Vorspire and company. There seems to be a lot of different ways people approach making their shards unique, and the advice I read that was given to people seeking new players was to start people off in an event or dungeon that immerses the player immediately. I figured it wasn't a bad idea.

bazspeed

Sorceror
Hi, great system. However I found that if a young player gets more than 4 deeds they cannot get out unless they throw them away and start again. I had a young player call me saying he has tried several times to get out.

When i arrived they had 16 exit deeds in the bag.

So a little tweeking is required.

In ExitNPS.cs look for:-

Code:
if (dropped.Amount != 4)
                    {
                        this.PrivateOverheadMessage(MessageType.Regular, 1153, false, "This is not the amount I asked for!", mobile.NetState);
                        return false;
                    }

and just before add:-

Code:
if (dropped.Amount > 4)
                    {
                        this.PrivateOverheadMessage(MessageType.Regular, 1153, false, "You have obviously not been listening. I want 4 deeds, no more, no less. I will take those from you, no go and try again", mobile.NetState);
                        dropped.Delete();
return false;
                    }

This way, if they get more than 4 and try to exit, the gatekeeper will take the scrolls off them and tell them to go and do it again.

Hope you enjoy.