RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Map0 that I would like to update

LFFPicard

Sorceror
So am I, but on the same note I suck at design :D
I am going to look at making my own map but I have a idea in my head what I would like but my design skills are really poor so we shall see how it works out!

LCOA

Sorceror
I designed this map so long ago. I did all of the bmp work in gimp.

The biggest pain was spending a couple days working on fixing the shoreline issues. The fun part is the city building.

LCOA

Sorceror
Some new work. And yes, those are skylights.

LFFPicard

Sorceror
Very nice! It looks all very well laid out.
Tell me, did you plan this all before hand or did you make the map and just making the building up as you go?

LCOA

Sorceror
More sneak previews to come. I've just been decomissioned for the past few days due to an emergency dental procedure that happened. I'm slowly recovering at this point.

LCOA

Sorceror
Well, the shots are one of the things I have the most. I don't have a problem with getting shots. It's the pain that those suckers do. And you feel that spot for days.

Even after they use the "numbing gel"

LCOA

Sorceror
And another sneak preview. I'm not trying to give everything away. But since this is going to be a long process, I figure it can't hurt to show some work, maybe drive some more users to share their work in the community here.

LCOA

Sorceror
Some nice features. I like the coastline. Coastlines are very hard to do... At least... in the past they have been.

Dian

Sorceror
Thanks, I was actually pretty proud of them when I did them. I created a custom set of scripts for Dragon to generate the coast lines. Another for dungons.. and one for general mapping.In fact, id say 95% or better was completely done with Dragon, all building done in game.. really nothing more to it than that.

I often wonder what my map would be had Map Generator been developed when I started, and of course.. CentreD.. But Im happy with it :)

Dian

Sorceror
Im really liking what you have going on so far too though, by the way. really good work man

LCOA

Sorceror
What's map generator? My map was originally developed for dragon in mind. I dug up screenshots of a server I designed back in 2002-2003 range.

Here are those screenshots: (This server was live on UOGateway to permitted user accounts for a short period of time (Custom map and cities), but the sole purpose was to allow us to develop features/scripts and practice while we worked on making the new map (which is what I am working on now). Obviously things never happened as I'm working on the new map now.

Every single piece was hand placed using the item ID from InsideUO... what a process that was.
(Except for roofs... Those were worldforge)

Dian

Sorceror
Whats to be sorry about. Some great work there too.. And yeah I know all about building with InsideUO Item#'s, the first 40-50% of mine was done that way as well. I used, and still use a simple GM tool called Accomplice, that was made before RunUO was ever an idea. Some of you older UO folks may have heard of it.

LCOA

Sorceror
I remember Accomplice. Heck, look at what the server emulator I was using was... UOX3...

Strangely enough, with the popularity of the work we were doing on Brisbane, it won me on as an Admin / Developer with the UOX3/C project. I have no idea how that was decided or anything, but one day I log in and I had a message from the Admin (Can't remember who it was at the time), sent me a message saying he'd love my help with the UOX project.

But as far as the design goes, I have changed my designing style a bit since those 2002-2003 pics.

Dian

Sorceror
more likely Xuri. Great guy to associate with for sure.

Well, dont give up on the new map, its looking really great!