RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing UO on Ubuntu

Djeryv

Sorceror
I have an Ubuntu machine in my home office and wanted to play UO on it yesterday. I have a laptop running windows but my Ubuntu machine has a nice 30 inch TV connected to it for my monitor. I was looking over the hoops and hurdles with running Wine to make this work but I went the VMWare route. You can download and use VMWare Player for free...non-commercial use. I then grabbed an old Windows XP CD (with a CD key) and made a VMWare image of the XP installation. I did all my Windows updates and installed UO and UOSteam to get it working without any fuss...

I just wanted to post this so if others run Linux...you can play UO on it this way. I have been playing this for a couple of days and it is working great.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

Vlek

Sorceror
This is the most useless, asinine post there could've been in regardless to emulating windows on linux to run a videogame. Do you understand that instead of only emulating the necessary parts of the windows operating system to run the game, you're opting to run the ENTIRE operating system along with the game? You're saying, "Forget FPS, forget processor speed, I just want to be the laziest fuck and get this game running".

For anyone actually interested in playing a non-linux game on a linux computer, use freakin' wine. If you have multiple games that require different versions of windows, then use Bottles.

runUO 2.3 works with wine fine but no clothes on paperdoll or npc vendors
when i get anywhere near a vendor razor or stream crashes
the solution was to close the thread that dealt with this issue
just an observation