RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power System for Ultima Online

Praxiiz

Sorceror
I am trying to come up with a concept for a power system for Ultima Online. I welcome your feedback and ideas. This idea strays from mainstream Ultima Online, so if you're not comfortable with that, then this idea is not for you.

Goals
  • Deepen the simulation aspect of Ultima Online
  • Give more meaning to guild housing and structures, including where they are placed
  • Consume in game items / resources
  • Give players flexibility to use the system in creative ways

Functionality
  • Player placed power lines
  • Player created generators
  • Player created crafting machines
  • Player placed items that are powered

This idea is inspired by games like Minecraft and Terraria. I like the idea of giving players the flexibility to create their own systems by composing many pieces together. I think it could give a little more purpose and strategy when placing houses and guild structures.

For example, a guild may want to have a member place their house near a river and build a water wheel to generate power, then route the power to the main guild hall.

It could also be cool in a Colonization map where players start with nothing and are expected to build up the map including cities.

Here is a concept I came up with using stock graphics for a power generator and power lines:

Vorspire

Knight
Love this! The Tekkit and BuildCraft mods for MineCraft are an ideal source of inspiration for this stuff, everything from machinery to oil manufacturing, etc.