RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Region Tutorial Needed.

pavone1987

Sorceror
Hello guys , i'm new on Runuo and i can't figure out a way to undestand how Region works. I tryed to add Undead guards on the city of minoc but the guards doesn't attaccks the enemies (elf, human ecc) but when i add the same guard on nujel'm , he will kill all enemies on his range. I tryed to set the Region "set guarded true" but nothing to do...it appears the message "this region is actively guarded " but undead guards doesen't attack ppl. Can you explain me how can i set a Region? ty :)

Arrrr

Wanderer
A region tutorial would come handy, i still don't wrap my head around. So, i have defined some regions, and i want to define some classes with the base BaseRegion. How can i relate each other? And where does runUO load all this?

Arrrr

Wanderer
I see, for example, on Regions.xml a region with type "DungeonRegion". At the same tame, there is a class called "DungeonRegion". So i'm asking how are they related and how can i create my own regions (maybe is easier than it looks)

Soteric

Knight
Looks like you create a class based on BaseRegion, then specify its name as region type. Looks pretty straightforward, no? :)

Safera

Page
I'd still love to see a regions tut for non-programmers. Within a fee months, I'll have to start learning about my options with regards to regions. I'll certainly take notes when I do learn, but any notes someone else has would be a great help.

Arrrr

Wanderer
There is little you can do without peeking at BaseRegion class (the good thing is that everything you need is there). Also, there is a software for defining (still you will need to program yours) regions, called Region Editor (i have version 1.7)

Dian

Sorceror
Region Editor is an independent program that you can use to create region areas and define some details to them, save it to an XML file, and then add that code it created to your regions.xml file..

Region in a box is an in game script system that you use in game to create new region areas in live time, and can control the settings through a property gump, rather than having to edit any files in the RunUO package
:)

Dian

Sorceror
Oh, to be more clear.. Region Editor program uses a map view screen that you can use your mouse to drag a selected box area over the map view to select your region boundries. Its pretty cool, and makes creating regions quick and easy for your bulk world regions. It really is a must have for anyone setting up a somewhat (or completely) custom world.

Safera

Page
Thanks Dian. Really appreciate the clarification.

I asked around some too and will try to put together a mini-tutorial as I go.

pooka01

Sorceror
If i ever get free time i'll probably shoot a tutorial (or more if i see the necessity) about regions and other stuffs.
But don't rely on me as i can't promise anything...