RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 2.5 Has released already.

Praxiiz

Sorceror
The UI code has always been available. Notice it has no comments or file headers? That isn't the original source. That is extracted code. It won't work with crypt.dll because it isn't even the full source, and it won't produce a binary that crypt will recognize. Yes, crypt does care what application calls it and it takes multiple steps to make sure it is only used by authentic versions of Razor.

The beauty of using C/C++ for client side is that it takes a lot of effort to recover source from it. The way razor was implemented will keep most people from bothering. Less time to reimplement it than to reverse it.

The way I see it, there are really only three people who want the source. First are devs who would update it to work with the latest clients. Second are shard owners who want to customize it. Third are people who want to use for things it shouldn't be used for. Zippy has made it clear that he only wants the first kind of person to have it and has given it to select devs to maintain it. The fact that they don't is another matter entirely.

If you want an open source assist program, I suggest you start with something like Xenoglyphs master control which is open source, and then write your own GUI for it. That's what it is there for, and you'll understand it when your done.

buggles

Wanderer
The UI code has always been available. Notice it has no comments or file headers? That isn't the original source. That is extracted code. It won't work with crypt.dll because it isn't even the full source, and it won't produce a binary that crypt will recognize. Yes, crypt does care what application calls it and it takes multiple steps to make sure it is only used by authentic versions of Razor.

The beauty of using C/C++ for client side is that it takes a lot of effort to recover source from it. The way razor was implemented will keep most people from bothering. Less time to reimplement it than to reverse it.

If you want an open source assist program, start with something like Xenoglyphs master control which is open source, and then write your own GUI for it. That's what it is there for, and you'll understand it.

That is the original Razor UI source, not decompiled. Notice the preprocessor definitions and formatting. If you look at those releases, they are all cryptographically signed and fully functional.

Praxiiz

Sorceror
Nice catch. I didn't see the pre processor directives. I wonder if he got permission to release it.

Praxiiz

Sorceror
Those libraries handle all of the low-level implementation and are the ideal place to put modification and "cheat" prevention code.
It is unlikely that anyone has any real interest in contributing code to the project. There are however many people who would be interested in "branding" Razor for their own shards, adding abusive functionality (and earning Razor a bad reputation), or making malicious builds that steal account information.
The original author (Bryan Pass) and maintainer (myself) really don't have any issue with releasing the full source, but there is little benefit to the community in doing so.

I guess it doesn't hurt to release the C# portion of the code that was already easily obtainable. That's one of the drawbacks with C# though. The main point that I disagree with is that there is no benefit to the community in releasing the code. I think the benefit is that when the authors are too busy to maintain it, or they move on with their lives, the community can pick it up.

In any case, it's tempting to implement the low level parts and have an open source version. But even without the source to the low level implementation, one could easily add more scripting capabilities to it. No more relying on the limited macros.

buggles

Wanderer
I guess it doesn't hurt to release the C# portion of the code that was already easily obtainable. That's one of the drawbacks with C# though. The main point that I disagree with is that there is no benefit to the community in releasing the code. I think the benefit is that when the authors are too busy to maintain it, or they move on with their lives, the community can pick it up.

In any case, it's tempting to implement the low level parts and have an open source version. But even without the source to the low level implementation, one could easily add more scripting capabilities to it. No more relying on the limited macros.

I think they are very open to patches and user submissions. It sounds like they are more concerned about many different versions cropping up and fracturing the userbase. I think they would not want to see "shard specific" releases as well.

Vorspire

Knight
Not sure if people realize, but Mark does have an IRC for both his shard and general RunUO development.

Come join us in real-time discussion about anything!
irc.freenode.net
#runuo

Praxiiz

Sorceror
I think they are very open to patches and user submissions. It sounds like they are more concerned about many different versions cropping up and fracturing the userbase. I think they would not want to see "shard specific" releases as well.
If it hasn't happened by now, it probably won't. As I hinted in my first post, it's not enough source code to produce a fully functioning version of Razor. It is only the GUI portion, which has been available since Razor was first released. It wasn't even obfuscated.

crypt.dll cares about what it is being called by and that GUI source isn't enough to compile a fully functional version of Razor.