RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO GUIDE STEP BY STEP from scratch for beginners.

Justin Davis

Wanderer
Hello, I am here to offer some help to new people such as myself. Here is what your going to need. I'm going to give you a list of programs that work with my setup, if you download other versions and it doesn't work try these exact versions I am going to list below. There are Six things to download or already have.

1. You Need the .net 4 framework make sure it is installed before you do anything else.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

2. RAZOR
( https://github.com/msturgill/razor/releases/tag/v1.4.0.3)

3. Download or have Ultima Online Client 7.0.15.1
(http://uoredemption.com/join/download/)

4. Download RunUO 2.5 from the link below.
Don't download it from RunUO because they still have the older 2.3 version posted.
(https://github.com/runuo/runuo/releases/tag/v2.5)

5. Download Pandora's box 3 release 3.0.0.5
(https://code.google.com/p/pandorasbox3/downloads/list

6. Nerun Distro revision 139
Be carefull here, there are many old versions, try the link I provide here. Click the blue button on the top right.
(http://www.runuo.com/community/resources/neruns-distro.104/updates)

OK now you have all six programs you will be installing them in this order:

1. install the .net 4 framework
2. install Razor
3. install Ultima Online Client 7.0.15.1
4. install RunUO 2.5
5. install Pandora's BOX 3
6. install neruns-distro

Ok now that everything is installed, go to your RunUO folder and make a shortcut of RunUO.exe and put it on your desktop.

1. Click the RunUO.exe and the server will open up, (do this first before you open Razor or UO Client, it wont work without the server being open.)

RunUO is just the server, you wont see any UO game visuals here. It's just that black box with the white text in it, the Server itself. to get into UO later you will have to setup Razor and link it to your UO Client, we'll get to that shortly, for now you should just have the RunUO Server opened in front of you.

2. The first time you open the RunUO Server it will ask you to create an account, put in a user name and password after you type that in, write it down somewhere.

This will be your game master account when you log into the Ultima Online Client through Razor. If you log into the RunUO server by Razor using a different account, you will be on a normal character and not be in your God Mode Character and can't make any changes. Please use the first account that you created, if you can't remember it delete everything and start again.

3. OK Now let's move on, open Razor and configure it, Let's tell Razor where the Ultima online 7.0.15 Client is,

In UO Directory Data in Razor. Type in your path to the 7.0.15 Client
Mine is simply C:\Ultima Online Classic.

4. Still in Razor, Under Server type is your local host number, this is your own local computer and you get your localhost address from your ISP or you can try and get it yourself. Go to your start menu on your computer, go to run and type in ipconfig.

Mine is 10.0.0.3, yours is going to be a different number according to your internet service provider. This you will have to find this on your own. If you don't know just call your ISP and they will tell you the number, when you do, type it into where it says Server.

5. Under port type in 2593. and Hit OK

If all went well you are now in the game and connected to the RunUO Server! Take a look at the RunUO Server and see how it connected.

Ok back to the UO Client:
At this point you are now in the game and there are only Town NPC's walking around. There are no monsters roaming or in dungeons. This is where you will use Nerun's Distro to Spawn all the creatures in the world.

And later I will show you how to spawn individual monsters, NPC's, Items or whatever you want individually; using Pandora's Box 3 and RunUO Commands.

1. You will need to install Neruns Distro into your RunUO folder by copying the Data and Script folders from Neruns Distro into your RunUO folder.

If you have any questions about this go to the Nerun Distro link I provided at the top but just copy those folders over to RunUO and you should be fine.

2. Close Everything, Razor, RunUO Server

3. Reopen Server first then Razor and log back into the game. You should now see the new Neruns Distro Bar commands at the top.

4. On that bar you will see PremiumSpawner, Click that

5. Hit the Apocalypse now (Clear All Facets) This will clear out all NPC's and decorations, don't worry we will now populate the world.

6. Click the Let there Be light Button. You should now have a spawned world :D, if you have any problems, again please go to the Neruns Distro's link at the top and go through the steps.

OK so now you want to add you own stuff, this is where Pandora Box 3 comes in.

1. make a shortcut of Pandora.exe to your desktop

2. This is very important!!! (right click it and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR) if you don't run as administrator it will not work right.

You should now be in Pandoras Box 3. Here you will see many useful buttons to create your own spawns, items, change player skills, Decorate Houses, pretty much anything to create your world.

I'll go through the different tabs and buttons to help you along.

Some of the buttons at the top are pretty self explanatory like:

These are the upper tabs in Pandora's box 3
Kill Button (Please don't do this to your players lol)
Resurrect Button: Just as it sounds brings back anything to life.
Tele: lets you teleport anywhere in your general vicinity
Hide: Hide or unhide yourself or a player
Who: tells you who is online
Props: set properties for items, creatures, ect, more info below on that.
Set: sets the color you want to put on an object with the color picker beside it.

OK lets move on to the Lower tabs in Pandora's Box 3

GENERAL TAB:
lets you work with players, below are some explainations of the buttons in this tab.

Bank Button: Hit the Bank button to see what a player has in his bank box

Players Button: You can look at skills, hide, unhide a player, view equip, house, ect,

Items Button: you can put all spells into a spell book, link or chain items ect.

Skills text fields: In the middle you can change your skills or a players skills

Dupe Button: means you can click on an item an duplicate it either on the ground or in a bag.

Light Button: this gives more light to the screen for you or for everyone globally

Restock Button: restocks items just as it sounds

Misc Button: You can setup a Town Crier and a couple other options

Messages: bottom left is where you can send out messages to the world

DECO TAB: HINT: Keep a night table in your pack when decorating to set decorations on top of the table, then lock down the item with the lock button under the Deco Tab and then remove the chair. This has saved me countless times.

Deco Tab is where you can decorate and add many items to your world, on the left click on any general item, then in the middle choose a specific item, on the right you can add it to the world with the Add Button.

THE BIG THING IN THE DECO TAB IS FIND: click the find text, here you can search for whatever thing you want by name or id, if you don't find it here go to the ITEM TAB and do the same thing.

If you have static checked, it will be locked down and unmovable that's what Static is for. if unchecked you can move it around it's unlocked, but you can always lock an unlocked item with the Lock Button.

You can change the color of the item by checking hue, also click in the top left of Pandoras box in that color piece and you can change it there also.

Lock Button: Use this to lock down any item in the world.
Wipe button clears and item but I like using the Remove button, that is there also I use the Remove button a lot. It;s at the top of the screen

Blue Arrows: in the middle you can fudge items around, there is also a Nudge button, I find the value 3 works good with the Nudge button, you can check Rnd to round the corners on items and type in a value.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT BUTTON THE TILE BUTTON:
use this to tile large sections of something say a floor or a dock. Choose wood floor to test, click in a tile close to you, then an another tile say 15 tiles away. When you click the two spots the flooring is automatically made. no need to go 1 by one and make the tiles, that would be insane right!

TRAVEL TAB:

This is how you can get around the world instantly. It is pretty simple, just click where you wan to go, drill down until you find the place you want and hit the GO button, you can also send someone to a place by clicking the SEND BUTTON

In the middle you pick which Facet you want, and on the right you can click on the map manually to also port there. Here's a little hidden gem: Click the TEXT that says World Map and this will bring out a larger map.

You Can also click find location and type in say... Minoc, and the map will pan over to Minoc, then you can port over there to Minoc or wherever. Pretty Cool.

PROPS TAB:
Which stands for properties, this just mean changing the data of a thing to. For instance if I click on mobile then AncientLich I can change any property on that spawn, for instance if I want to change it's artificial intelligence from magic to melee, I click AI then hit the button and change it to AI_Melee. Now that lich will fight instead of cast magic which was his default fighting patteren, this happens when i click on him.

ITEMS TAB:
Much like the Deco Tab. Almost exact actually except it has more items, so you need to go to both to find what you want.

NPC TAB: HINT, CLICK FIND to search for a monster, many are not listed on the left menu!
This is where you can spawn or add individual monsters to the world. Click on a Monster or NPC on the left or hit the Find button. Drill down until you find what you want.

Spawn amount: Type in how many monsters you want
Range: This is how far the monsters will walk away or roam from the spot you spawn them in.
Delay:Min-Max this is how long it will take to spawn another monster or npc
Team: if they move in pacts I believe, haven't played with that one.
Extra: also haven't played with it but I believe it's an extra spawn on top of the spawn you already set.

ADD Button: add a single spawn
Spawn Button: add the spawn 1 or more creatures.

ADMIN TAB:
Admin Button: This is for total administration, you can look at players accounts, Player information

World Building: just as it sounds you can add Moongates, Vendors, ect, but since you already did this with Neruns Distro it might not let you from here.

Admin Button/Command Button: Nice little set of a lot of the GM Commands mentioned before all in one place!

Guards Button: you can setup guards the way you want in a Region.

Freeze/Unfreeze Buttons: OK this is a little bit tricky, and more advanced, but if you want to remove something from the world say a tree or rocks, which I did to make room for my Castle, you need to have a different folder in RunUO, call it whatever you want something like tempMaps.

Then go to your Ultima Online Client 7.0.15 and copy all the map.mul files and paste them in the RunUO folder you just made. I know you dont need them all but I do it just to have all bases covered and it doen't hurt anything. So just copy all of them.

Now you have to go RunUO\scripts\Misc\DataPath.cs and edit 1 line of code

when you see this line
private static string CustomPath = @"C:\Ultima Online Classic";

change it to the folder you made tempMaps or whatever it is.
private static string CustomPath = @"C:\Ultima Online Classic\runUO\tempMaps";

If you don't do this you will get an error in game, it will tell you you can't use the unfreeze command and you will not be able to delete that tree you want gone.

OK Now you will be able to hit the unfreeze button ingame on a tree you want to remove or whatever it is. click both sides of the tree and remove it. after your done make sure you freeze it again or that spot could become laggy. Also when you freeze go further then when you unfroze it to make sure you get everything frozen again correctly.

Last piece. Copy all the map.mul files back over from RunUO the folder you made back over to their original folder in Ultima online 7.0.15.1. Restart everything and that tree or whatever should now be gone from the world. If you have Players in your world you will need to patch to them them, all the new map.mul files. So they see what you see in the world.

TOOLS TAB:
Roofing Button: Here you can do some building like build a roof for instance, it's pretty easy and straight forward with the GUI

Options Button lets you setup things in-game the way you want with the configuration panel, again this is pretty straight forward and to individual taste. This is also where you could run patches I believe but I haven't done that yet.

DOORS TAB:
this is where you can quickly switch out any door in the game and the way it swings all it a couple clicks of the buttons.

LIGHTS TAB:
this is where you can setup lighting and the radius of lighting for different objects, just pick the object yiu want lit from the list and choose the lighting you want.

CUSTOM TAB:
here you can set up your own custom object easily and send them a command or a menu that you setup. The menu in very intuitive just like all of Pandora Box 3 and I would like to give a special thank you to the programmer Ayra for making my life so much easier with this phenomenal tool.

RunUO Commands: Inside The UO Client 7.0.15.1 while in God mode (GM) Mode on your character. Just type in the commands listed in the link below manually to do the same stuff I showed you in Pandora's box, just requires a lot more typing. Pandora Box 3 is all Button pushing.

Remember to type the symbol [
before the command you want from the list below Example [add

http://uostuff.uo-projects.net/uostuff/include/templates/runuo/docs/commands.html

I Hope this tutorial helps everyone just starting out in some way, happy Building all.

Justin Davis

Dian

Sorceror
Excellent man, thanks for taking the time to write that up :) Even though there are a couple others, they are getting out dated.

Looks good, and should be very helpful to future members!

Justin Davis

Wanderer
Thanks Dian :) , tried to use all the latest programs builds for what I listed above. The other beginners threads I read were not with the latest programs and were a little light on the info. I may have missed some more in depth but didn't see any . If anyone has any questions about what I wrote please feel free to ask and I will check in and try to answer you.

Twlizer

Sorceror
Wrong link for Razor above that is a outdated version and has bugs

Use this link for razor download
https://github.com/msturgill/razor/releases/tag/v1.4.0.3

Wrong link to download Ultima Online that is a old version and is missing art work

Use this link for ultima online download
http://web.cdn.eamythic.com/us/uo/installers/20120309/UOClassicSetup_7_0_24_0.exe

Current Core is 2.6 not 2.5

"In UO Directory Data in Razor. Type in your path to the 7.0.15 Client"
"Mine is simply C:\Ultima Online Classic."

Correct address should be depending on your computer
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic

Your Local Host is almost always
127.0.0.1 <<<------

Thanks for the post im sure some will find it useful but these links and information here are more accurate you may want to update your above post

Hope this helps you

Twlizer

Sorceror
You may also look at XMLspawner as opposed to neruns being neruns isn't supported any longer and has a champion spawner bug.

Nothing against Neruns at all I have used it but Xmlspawner is still being supported by many in the community Nuruns to my knowledge isn't....

Justin Davis

Wanderer
My local host is 10.0.0.3 it's not always 127.0.0.1.

When I say this:

I'm telling them to put it in their own directory, that's what Type in your path means. I give my path only as an example

I don't know what you mean about core is 2.6 I only see 2.5, if 2.6 is out there can you provide a link?

The UO Client Link 7.0.15.1 works fine on my machine and I can't endorse the the other one you suggest simply because I haven't run it myself. For this tutorial I am using everything in my own personal setup and can't put in stuff that I haven't tried. If people want to use another UO Client that's up to them but I can't guarantee it will work.

The one link I will change that you suggest is the Razor link, the one I have is from here RunUO, maybe they should update there files here?

As I said above, this is my setup which works perfectly and is for demonstrating how it all works together, the intent is to take someone that has never seen RunUO and get them going to running a fully spawned world and able to create things on their own in it. Once they get this down they can move on to more advanced things like playing with the scripts.

Twlizer

Sorceror
"My local host is 10.0.0.3 it's not always 127.0.0.1."

Justin 127.0.0.1 is a loop back to your NIC so I can almost guarantee you it is..

"When I say this:
This is because you downloaded an out of date client form a competing server. This client could have modified Mul files and may not be correct for you server. Again use link I provided above for a updated client.

The SVN repository is Maintain by Mark please use google like the rest of us.

Again
"The UO Client Link 7.0.15.1 works fine on my machine and I can't endorse the the other one you suggest simply because I haven't run it myself. For this tutorial I am using everything in my own personal setup and can't put in stuff that I haven't tried. If people want to use another UO Client that's up to them but I can't guarantee it will work."

This is a client Upforever uses and isn't a current version and is possibly modified for there server.

Possibly
As I said above, this is my setup which works perfectly and is for demonstrating how it all works together, the intent is to take someone that has never seen RunUO and get them going to running a fully spawned world and able to create things on their own in it. Once they get this down they can move on to more advanced things like playing with the scripts.

Its possibly that your setup will work but isn't the correct place to start for a new server. You may not notice issues right away and be months into your build. Again I would suggest you download from the links I provided.

I would also add its your server and your work at risk for being incorrect so your call I just provided the proper way to start not the absolute way.

Justin Davis

Wanderer
Im running IIS for my Web Development work, I work from home, my RunUO listens on two channels 10.0.0.3 and 127.0.0.1, My Network Interface Card listens on two channels. I dont have to connect to the 127.0.0.1 I use the 10.0.0.3. In any case I ask the people to ping themselves or check with there ISP. But it is absolutely not always 127.0.0.1, depends on peoples setup, they may have IIS also, thats why I ask them to check.

The UO Client is an example that works just fine for me, again if they want another client they can download it, Im just trying to be helpful and provide links that woked for me, people can download whatever they they want to, Im just providing the training, The programs I suggest work on my computer, and that is why I suggest them, not sure how much more I clear i can be on that, I kinda ran out of ways of trying to explain it.

I never used SVN for my setup to download anything, I'm telling them how I did it. and its not a requirement to get going at all. Yes people if you want to go do download SVN, and introduce another learning tool into all the ones you have to learn go ahead but its not necessary and it's not how I did it.

I made the tutorial from a to z so people could follow along like a book and not get sidetracked with all these other options, yes there out there, but for a TOTAL noob beginner I try and show them step by step to get going then they can use whatever they want when they got the hang of it.

So new people please try and follow along with the tutorial and if you want use some of Twilzer's links please do so, I do think he is trying to be helpful but I cant endorse his links because that is not the routine in which i did my setup.

I may be providing pictures also to go along with my tutorial very soon.

Thanks
Justin

Twlizer

Sorceror
The Client your using your server also runs off of it.
If you are using a possible modified client from another server that client is more than likely modified for that server.

Thus your server will have possible maps and art work that is for the server you downloaded from.

When other players from other places happen to ever login your serverthey will not see the same art work you see. They could possibly be bumping into walls and trees because your art isn't the same as there’s.

Again I tell you that you need a distro download to start a server.

Also IIS is a webserver what does that have to do with runuo? Is this your way of trying to let me know your not new to webservers? ok!

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Also to add I would recommend Apache over IIS but that surly is a preference.

Justin Davis

Wanderer
No I am not new to servers lol, but if I was there is nothing wrong with being new to anything, RunUO in my case lol, it shows courage when you try something new :) The reason I bought up IIS was for clarification of where I am pointing razor which happens to sit where IIS is, but you either don't believe I am using 10.0.0.3 or just keep blowing past it. I don't need to type 127.0.0.1 into Razor 10.0.0.3 works also. Anyways I just give 10.0.0.3 as an example and have them ping themselves and show them how to do it.

I already know about modified UO clients, and different maps can be a problem, maybe that was not the best link, which I just took down when I had time and that is not where I got my clean copy, but I cant remember where i did get it and that was the first one that popped in google when I typed in 7.0.15.1

It took a long time writing all that and was going to get back to it. When I do find a clean copy of 7.0.15.1 I will be posting it, there is nothing wrong with a fresh copy of it. If people want to use another more recent version then that is up to them, but that is not what I did to setup which is in the spitit of my tutorial, all the programs work the way I did it and tested it so that's the only thing that I can suggest.

Twlizer

Sorceror
I agree any fresh copy depending on the era your looking for will be just fine.

My point on the 127.0.0.1 is usually the best way for new players to login to there personal servers. Many new server devlopers do not comprehend the difference between LAN WAN and a loopback. I you put the loopback in your description youll be accurate about 99.9% of the time.

You may consider explaining ipconfig /all for discovery and the difference between Static and Dynamic ip address associations.

Dian

Sorceror

Dian

Sorceror
clients 7.0.24 and above have changed file formats for art, gump and map *.mul files to *.uop files, and will be problematic unless you have the right RunUO version to recognize them properly. I think Mark's newest version on the GitHub link listed has been updated now, but if you use the RunUO version on this site (at this time of posting) then you will login to a naked paperdoll character, and fall through the map and other issues.

If using a custom map, you also will need to use a client below 7.0.24 in order to replace the map corectly, unless you can convert it to a *.uop file as well.

These issues can be overcome, and corrected, but takes a lot more effort and tools to do so.

Twlizer

Sorceror
Dian correct me if I am incorrect also

I think anything above core 2.3 resolved that issue. I think Mark is at 2.6 as well

The only issues I know of with releases above 24 are razor issues with status bar. To me it out weighs the issues with paperdoll clothing from older versions.

Dian

Sorceror
yeah, well that is why I said it depends on the RunUO version,and if it has been updated to recognize the *.uop files correctly.
We are both most likely correct, depending on the versions of everything used :)

Justin Davis

Wanderer
OK problem solved, after some searching found this link to a clean copy of 7.0.15.1 and posted it to my tutorial. The people on the site state that it would have to be patched to see their maps. So it is clean. I will be adding a lot more to the tutorial as I learn more and more stuff soon, Dian thanks for the insight on the issues with the higher client version, I won't be using that for the editorial and will stick with the original plan off client 7.015.1

Adam3488

Wanderer
Twlizer is just mad that you're linking to UO Redemption's website for the client files and stuff. You specifically said you wanted client 7.0.15.1, which is exactly what is offered there. Please tell me, what is "unclean" about it? Also, please stop going to such great lengths to discredit a rival server. You just want them to have less hits on their site because you made UOA, plain and simple.