RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status of ConnectUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

m309

Squire
Whatever voting/rating system is used, the consideration has to be made for what type of shard it is. Tram, Fel only, PVP, throwback, lenient RP, hardcore RP, family friendly...the list goes on and on as to the type of shards out there. It wouldn't be fair to vote/rate a hardcore PVP against a family friendly loose RP shard where there is no PVP. Just wanted to throw that out there as devils advocate.

Jeff

Lord
Couldn't this just be a feature added to the connectuo, by the way wasn't it already in there(the play link,think it was cuo://something)? I mean now you'll always need an internet connection or you'll have to create a html page with the play link on your local drive...
ConnectUO already used a cuo:// link, this already existed, and was already in play on the web site serverlist that originally existed as well. Ryan wants to get rid of the need of the client.

FingersMcSteal

Sorceror
This was all i used for shard listing...

The green bar showed if the server was online, the gold bricks were for server up time, that starts with iron bars, silver and eventually gold. That way any shard with gold bricks was a sign that the shards online generally most of the time, so many new shards come and go or at least used to. The small blue button was in fact for a web launch but due to the usual RL comes 1st thing i never actually got that sorted. I kept away from any type of vote system because yeah they can be cheated i guess. The list that was shown could be viewed in alphabetical, max players or just current players online.

My thoughts were if your going to get someone looking for a shard to play they'd spend at least a few minutes looking at the shards own website, which if you clicked the banner you'd get to.

From what i can gather it sounds like Ryan's just wanting a link, be it a graphic type or link address on the site to fire it off straight into the shard in question which in the long run makes sense.

As far as everything else like patching, thats probably got to be handle'd via a forum account somewhere, which was the direction i took. Theres a million and one ideas out there for what you could put into a launcher application, personally if i ever want to check out a new shard my first choice of search was usually player numbers or client version. As far as votes go... i've always ignored them.

September

Sorceror
Having new and updated features that everyone has contributed here all sounds great. Really first and foremost we do need CUO up with "patching" capability. I can not count how many times a day we have to explain to people "How To Patch." This is even with a VERY detailed "how To Patch" instructional web page. Plus you also have a language barrier with people and that makes things all the more difficult at times.

Getting back some of the functions that “Old School” UoGateway had would be sweet, having better ways to represent servers, date of server, and I love, love the “Spotlight” idea. Really the possibilities could be endless with CUO. All of these things are actually long over due, I miss the days of UO Gateway and the functionality it offered to us. Being able to do all these things, sort, favorite, patch, you name it did it. I loved going through the list checking out everyone’s stats and so on. I think there is nothing wrong with votes it is a good way to showcase the loyalty your players have for your server. We are proof that you do not have to be a large player base server to get votes, We have always been a small player based server but we can manage to stay towards the top of any list we try to stay at the top of because we have a loyal player base and a great server community.

Getting CUO back and getting players patched IMHO really should be a top priority over all the goodies that could be added to it. The “main” reason people use CUO over “Razor” is in my opinion easier and it patches the client for them. I really do hope that we can see this happen in the near future because repeating ourselves a thousand times a day in game about how to patch your client is drawing old quite fast, lol.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do, I know there are a few of us in the community that would be more then happy to offer support if we can. We thank you for your time, effort, work, and attention to this project.

** September **

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
This was all i used for shard listing...

The green bar showed if the server was online, the gold bricks were for server up time, that starts with iron bars, silver and eventually gold. That way any shard with gold bricks was a sign that the shards online generally most of the time, so many new shards come and go or at least used to. The small blue button was in fact for a web launch but due to the usual RL comes 1st thing i never actually got that sorted. I kept away from any type of vote system because yeah they can be cheated i guess. The list that was shown could be viewed in alphabetical, max players or just current players online.

My thoughts were if your going to get someone looking for a shard to play they'd spend at least a few minutes looking at the shards own website, which if you clicked the banner you'd get to.

From what i can gather it sounds like Ryan's just wanting a link, be it a graphic type or link address on the site to fire it off straight into the shard in question which in the long run makes sense.

As far as everything else like patching, thats probably got to be handle'd via a forum account somewhere, which was the direction i took. Theres a million and one ideas out there for what you could put into a launcher application, personally if i ever want to check out a new shard my first choice of search was usually player numbers or client version. As far as votes go... i've always ignored them.

We wont be using any forum related items for management of shards and etc...

We're using a framework that is standalone to prohibit forum code from causing issues. The "support" aspect will be handled by a forum here on RunUO.com.

Zaroff

RunUO Web Developer
I am confused. No client base just web based?

Sounds cool but i have a feeling alot of people will have a problem with anti-virus being very annoying.

Web apps best apps. There are a number of ways to achieve the goal, but invoking Razor seems to tie in best with the software already in place.

FingersMcSteal

Sorceror
Sounds like it'll be interesting to see in action, removing things that a user can potentially mess up removes any problems that might occur.

My own preference is something that keeps things seperate but thats just me. Like i mentioned tho, theres a lot of different ideas about how to do this sort of a thing so it should be interesting once it's in place.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
It will still be separate. The web launcher won't be part of razor, it will just launch the shard you pick through Razor. Most launchers should probably do this to avoid having to support encryption on the launcher side, as Razor is pretty well maintained when a new client comes out and new keys are needed.

Plus everyone can run razor and still decide to not use it, I suggest maybe an easy "Disable Everything" option on Razor now if the new CUO is kinda going to force everyone to use Razor to connect...and a small few may not want to actually use it's features. I know some still prefer that other app. Although I doubt an update like this, or any would make it into Razor. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.