RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status of ConnectUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
I would echo this. It would be nice to visit a website and if you like the way the Shard looks, be able to click "Add to ConnectUO Favorites" or "Play Now on ConnectUO", rather than trying to follow a long page of instructions on downloading patches, downloading and setting up Razor, downloading and setting up ConnectUO, unchecking this box, checking that box, then crossing your fingers and hoping it works.

Let me also add, thanks to the Dev team for all their hard work. Thank you also, Jeff, for your contributions.

This is essentially what we're going for ;)

MarciXs

Sorceror
Couldn't this just be a feature added to the connectuo, by the way wasn't it already in there(the play link,think it was cuo://something)? I mean now you'll always need an internet connection or you'll have to create a html page with the play link on your local drive...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Couldn't this just be a feature added to the connectuo, by the way wasn't it already in there(the play link,think it was cuo://something)? I mean now you'll always need an internet connection or you'll have to create a html page with the play link on your local drive...

ConnectUO had some of this functionality, the problem was the way ConnectUO was designed does not really fit in our datacenter infrastructure easily as it was built.

Regardless of all that... what we're doing for the future will be really nice and we'll have something for local admins who need to develop.

Ryan

who doesnt love a good beer, alot of changes in the time i was away, just a suggested for the future, unlike the "votes" system people have implemented in various tools in the past, and the server listing websites that displays the "top" servers, my suggestion is, a genre based voting system if a voting system at all is going in, that way the top servers in each genre (pre-aos, aos, custom so on and so forth) will get its shine rather than just the servers with the most people voting.

i know that a voting system in itself probably is'nt even a concern let alone a possibility just throwing out ideas

clark71822

Sorceror
I think era based grouping is a good idea, as it would allow players to select shards to view based on what era they'd want to play. Also, have it generate a random listing of shards by default instead of a sorted listing, but still allow players to sort the list if they choose. This way all shards would be able to get more exposure.

Varkasal

Sorceror
I have to disagree on the voting system, reason being is lets say your a new server starting out and have no votes yet but there are other servers that have been going for years ...... people may overlook the smaller ones and miss out on a nice server they would enjoy playing on simply because the server was new.

serenityuo

Sorceror
Nexon and many other mmorpgs have the right idea, a Web-based launcher is the right idea, make a ConnectUO downloader, then once the player clicks the shard they want, the downloader comes up, gets the patch, and then razor loads. Nexon.net is a very good example of a well made game launching system ^^

*edit* And a voting system is REALLY lame :( give the little shards a chance ;)

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Nexon and many other mmorpgs have the right idea, a Web-based launcher is the right idea, make a ConnectUO downloader, then once the player clicks the shard they want, the downloader comes up, gets the patch, and then razor loads. Nexon.net is a very good example of a well made game launching system ^^

*edit* And a voting system is REALLY lame :( give the little shards a chance ;)

This is exactly how I feel.

One thing I plan on doing is a 'shard spotlight' to help up-and-coming shards... I've yet to figure out how I will *properly* do that but I want to.

Rhivan

Sorceror
what measures are being taken so that CUO will always work in the future even if something goes down? My only issue was when this all went down before I was no longer able to change my patch versions and thus my players could no longer update the map files with CUO. Is there anyway to make a data file that stays with the Shard Admins side of things so when a player goes to play a shard it looks at that "shards" data for the latest files and patches instead of going to the "runUO" service center... I would hate to be 6 months deep into a project again only to be put on hold because the website went down or something along those lines... I feel like all you would need to do is add like a ConnectUO.cs script that contains all the info that you need for your server. something like Custom Patches = "true" then it will search for the link to those files... Just thinking out loud...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
what measures are being taken so that CUO will always work in the future even if something goes down? My only issue was when this all went down before I was no longer able to change my patch versions and thus my players could no longer update the map files with CUO. Is there anyway to make a data file that stays with the Shard Admins side of things so when a player goes to play a shard it looks at that "shards" data for the latest files and patches instead of going to the "runUO" service center... I would hate to be 6 months deep into a project again only to be put on hold because the website went down or something along those lines... I feel like all you would need to do is add like a ConnectUO.cs script that contains all the info that you need for your server. something like Custom Patches = "true" then it will search for the link to those files... Just thinking out loud...

The actual websites going down are pretty unlikely.

For the most part we generally have about 99.9% availability on all of our websites for basic functionality. The reason the ConnectUO website had so much trouble is because it was on a front end web server that was Linux, Apache and MySQL and ConnectUO was built on a .NET web service with Microsoft's SQL Server which is very expensive and didn't really fit into our datacenter model the way we are designed. Ultimately the new version will be using the same technology this forum uses and you're well aware this forum is up nearly all the time except for maintenance work (which we usually announce).

The advantage we have now is that all of our equipment is OWNED, our datacenter is OURS and we're not in a hosted situation with another provider. If we have a problem I just get in my car and go fix it, quite easily.

I have to disagree on the voting system, reason being is lets say your a new server starting out and have no votes yet but there are other servers that have been going for years ...... people may overlook the smaller ones and miss out on a nice server they would enjoy playing on simply because the server was new.

heres the thing, theres going to be only a few select ways the server list is going to look, alphabetic order, in which case, your server name will have to start with one of the first couple letters to really be seen, by average/max/current online players, in which case, they will be over looked anyways, or be listed by first come first serve register, in which case, again a new server will be over looked if its not registered soon enough....

with the massive amount of "newbie" servers that come up and drop each day, i understand everyone deserves a chance to have their ability to make a server shine, but ive been with the RunUO community back when UOGateway was in its prime, (with Mr Fixit and the gang if you recall them, not the current UOGateway) and weeding through the endless crap, just to find a decent server gets annoying, so me personally, and ofcourse, i maybe alone in this, i enjoy a system that allows the good servers to shine.... either way, there is always going to be a flaw in listings that wont properly allow new servers to get out there, its why you shouldnt solely rely on just this service.

either way just my 2 cents, merely defending my suggestion

Vorspire

Knight
Why use votes when there's such things as one to five star ratings? :) Almost every website has incorporated a rating system somehow, why can't we apply the same thing to shards?

Rhivan

Sorceror
I have to agree Votes are just a pointless scale of how a shard is. No need for any special rating system. Just do it by: players online, average players online, max players online and do one by date server added. The good servers will obviously last and wont need to worry about a vote system to get players. Usually word of mouth is always the best way to get players and then having a good website and such helps keep people around.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
I think allowing each shard to have comments posted on, would be a much better idea than voting or rating. Kinda like how the Android Market does comments. Many people, including myself will scan through comments on an app before deciding if the app is worth the time/money. I believe the same concept could be applied to shards. Although I believe there would need to be some sort of moderation system (maybe let shard owners mod their own comments for their shard?) Because there's always gonna be an idiot that leaves an irrelevant or just a rude ass comment.

In the long run, I believe majority of the comments will include info that the average player would want to know. Plus it'll have more meaning if more than one player is backing up the facts/features. Like skill gain speed, what pvp is like on the shard, ect.

I believe comments should of been added to top listings a long time ago. Voting and rating was always a bad idea, as we've seen in the past...even active top sites like JoinUO that support voting are severely unfair. As it's too easy to cheat the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.