RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stripping it Down!

Richard7424

Wanderer
Great site and great project, not much for playing UO anymore, but love what you all are doing.

I was actually looking at stripping the server down as a learning project. I was curious what exactly the server is getting from the UO client directory? Is it just using the client files as a static data source? Like item descriptions and reading map files? From what I can tell so far this seems to be the case, but I don't want to spend hours stripping to find out it is just too integrated.

It appears I'm mainly going to need to trim down the packet classes and some of the other base classes for UO specific things. My goal is mainly to strip it down to a few packet classes that I can send back and forth.

Again this is for a learning exercise as I have already gone through the various TCP/UDP articles I could find, but wanted to see how something with a proven track record was structured and worked.

Am I on the right track for what I need to do, the commenting in the code is quite sparse, so I'm just guessing what some of it does.