RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subscription changes...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Subscription changes...

Subscription changes...

I am very sure this will be quite controversial but alas, that's the way it goes.

Today is the last day our "Subscription" system will be in use. We are in the process of coming up with a whole new "schema" for what "Subscriptions" will be going forward.

As you can see there is no way to order a subscription but our previous Subscribers still have access to their forum. When RunUO 2.0 is released Subscribers WILL GET the first download of it. From this point going forward everyone will have access to the use of Forum Signatures/Avatars.

I feel this decision will be controversial to our 170 subscribers, but overall it promotes the health of the RunUO community. There's no reason for people to be 'left out'.

As for Advertising... it is still NOT permitted. Please refrain from advertising in our forum.

Thanks,
Ryan

I dont think anyone would mind, people subscribe to support RunUO (at least that was my reason when I still was a subscriber), not because they get extra 'features'.

If people wonder, I'm currently not subscribed because PayPal screwed up my bank account transfer so I can't get money to my PayPal. And I don't have a stupid creditcard. Why need a creditcard when you've got a bank account eh...

Phantom

Knight
I don't know about anyone else but, the reason I became a subscriber was to help RunUO, not to request/advertise/ect so it doesn't bother me one bit.

If I can make a request, I do think having a system where other supporters can share/support each other is a good idea, but I don't think anyone should be allowed to advertise. The best solution would be a seperate website, ran by RunUO, that would allowed these type of requests.

But like I said, since I don't run a shard and only program in C#, being a subscriber was just because I wanted to support RunUO.

I am a lifetime subscriber to the RUNUO Forums and I do not mind one bit if you need to revise the memberships or come up with a new system.

I always thought that the RUNUO Forums should implement a monthly or a quarterly fee rather than a lifetime membership. I can't even imagine the hosting bills that you must face and I seriously doubt that the lifetime memberships will support you financially in the long run. I would not mind contributing regularly to your overhead via some type of continued payment structure.

Great job on the new look to the website. It's a bit brighter looking...nice change. Thanks for the effort guys and girls.

SAA

Phantom

Knight
Shard Admin Adam said:
I am a lifetime subscriber to the RUNUO Forums and I do not mind one bit if you need to revise the memberships or come up with a new system.

I always thought that the RUNUO Forums should implement a monthly or a quarterly fee rather than a lifetime membership. I can't even imagine the hosting bills that you must face and I seriously doubt that the lifetime memberships will support you financially in the long run. I would not mind contributing regularly to your overhead via some type of continued payment structure.

Great job on the new look to the website. It's a bit brighter looking...nice change. Thanks for the effort guys and girls.

SAA

Hosting bills that I know about are in the three digit range :)

Pyro-Tech

Knight
i was a subscriber, but i let it lapse when i left the UO Emulation thing for a few months. *shrug*

but it was nice to get the perks, and i wanted to show at least a little bit of grattitude. although it was small :eek:

EDIT: do i need to remove the shard advertise from signiature then?

i was wondering the same thing in the sense as do you conqueror have something aginst the project and there donations?

all ive seen you ask is when when when and about donations it will be RELEASED IN DUE TIME so and they do not say you MUST donate if they ask for donations (which i aint seen in my time here being that donations are of free will and not a must or it would be called paying not donating) it would be for a very good reason

Phantom

Knight
Conqueror[DarkAG] said:
I just wonder, when we will get ML support, even if its not done, just some halfs. It will be soo good. ;)

Thanks Phantom for all your anwsers.

If its not in this release, it will be in a future release, clearly you can add the support yourself if thats the case.

Unless I am told by Ryan or Asayre that, Asayre did infact complete the ML support, I am not going to say anything but what I have heard.

Alis

Wanderer
How can i send money to donate or to be a subscriber your gona say paypal but paypal dont work around here what else can i do =) a while ago i posted something like this but no answer feedback givven =()

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Alis...you can do sig and avatar now w/out needing to be a subscriber. In fact, there are no subs anymore.

And if you want to just give money...I dunno.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Alis said:
How can i send money to donate or to be a subscriber your gona say paypal but paypal dont work around here what else can i do =) a while ago i posted something like this but no answer feedback givven =()

We are going to add a 'donation' system that will not require paypal soon enough.

Thanks,
Ryan

sicron

Sorceror
As another lifetime subscriber, I also have no objection to the changes. I paid a whopping $25 for mine during one of the specials that were run, and for how much enjoyment Ive gotten because of runuo over the course of its existence, its the best dammed 25 bucks Ive ever spent in my life.
I havent actually used the server in ages, as I prefer more to play (mostly bug Drull&co.) than to run a shard of my own. I can barely remember the last time Ive even posted, but I still like to check out whats going on from time to time. There also has never really been much in the subscriber section that couldnt be had (with at least a little effort) otherwise, so for anyone to really be angry over this move is just ridiculous. Like many others I considered my subscription to be more of a donation than anything, and I strongly encourage anyone that has never donated or subscribed to at least donate once and show Ryan&co how much we appreciate how much they have done for us already.
Ok Im starting to ramble now so Ill just end with that... No let me just add another big THANK YOU! to runuo... yeah thats a better ending.

milt

Knight
Like most of the other subscribers, I have no objections. I have been a subscriber for awhile, and the main reason for my subscription was to support RunUO, not for an avatar, signature, or 'title'.

I think that donating that money was a good choice that I made, and I am sure that I will never regret it. In fact, I still plan to donate in the future. This community kicks ass and it feels like a lot of you are 'e-family'... lol, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts.

sidsid

Sorceror
No, you jerks!!! I only subscribed to have a custom title!
I want my $30 and my original $3 back along with millions in emotional damages.
Wyatt would never do this!

:)

Does this mean I can still subscribe today? I can't find the place to do it and searches aren't working for me..... Dunno if it's the upgrade to forums or what.... I'd like to renew my subscription for life.... :(