RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent / translucent water

Nockar

Sorceror
Hi there! Here is how to make transparent water!! The files in this post & the tutorial will describe the process needed to add transparent water. You can use this process to create under water visuals, docks, streams, dungeons, anything really that you want.

You will need a basic understanding of how to use Mulpatcher & CentrEd (or other map editing program) in order to accomplish this process.

Needed Tools:
Mulpatcher – for adding the new art files & editing the tiledata.mul
CentrED & CentrED Server – Used for editing the map terrain height. You can use other programs to do this as well.

Files:
Transparent Water.zip – These are the art files you will need
Optional Water Decorations.zip – Some nice optionally decorations images. I think they came from uo-pixel.de
Optional Water LandTiles.zip – These are optionally ‘Land Tile’ water replacements. I was trying to make them a little closes in look to the transparent water tiles.
CentrED and CcedServer.zip – Some helpfully files for getting CentrED going.

How To:

- Add the new Art -
1) Backup your files.
2) Open Mulpatcher > Go to Settings Tab > Load Tiledata.mul, Artidx.mul, & Art.mul
3) Go to Tiledata(S) Tab > Search for 0x1796 > form 0x1796 to 0x17B2 check the box that says [X] Translucent for all of them.
4) Go to Art(S) Tab > Search for 0x1796 > > Replace all of the water images with the new water image found in ‘Transparent Water.zip’.
5) Optionally: Go to 0x346E to 0x3530 (skipping rocks & other none water tiles) and set them to [X] Translucent if you would like to be able to see through them as well.
6) Optionally: Add in the new decoration art and or the new LandTile Art.
7) Go to Settings Tab > Save Tiledata.mul, Artidx.mul, & Art.mul

- Editing Your Map -
8) BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE USING CentrED. I think it does saves on the fly and if you mess up it could auto edit the files on you all by its self.
9) CentrED Basic Setup Instructions…. (it can be a pain to get it going)
a. Install / extract the two exe files (CentrED Setup.exe & CentrED_win32_0-6-1.exe)
b. Edit the XML file for CenteED
c. Run sedserver.exe (make sure UO & RunUO is all closed nothing else can be reading the mul files while CentrED is going)
d. Start CenteED & setup your profile and then connect to the server
e. Under use/pass enter it (I don’t remember were this got setup)
f. Start editing
g. Save using ‘Flush’
10) Next, open up CentrED server & Client (or other map editing tool).
11) Once you have CentrED going go to the correct map location.
12) Pick the ‘Draw Tiles’ tool > set it to [X] Force altitude: -30 (or what ever depth you want)
13) Pick your preferred ground tile type form the list. In the example I am using sand.
14) Now go to the map and stat click on the water tile until you have your desired area cleared out.
15) Youll notice along the bank there is probably this brownish or black space. This is the space that there are no tiles yet but its still being ‘stretched’. What you want to do is keep clicking closer to the bank with the sand (or other ground tile) until you get a nice clean transition as shown in the image. Note: In the images I have already cleaned up the brow stuff. I don’t want to keep editing this map so there wont be a screen shot of it. But you’ll see what I am talking about. Just carefully keep clicking on the brow until it all goes away.
16) Once you are satisfied with your edits > Go to Administration > Flush (Save) > I wait a little bit and then a Flush a 2nd time to make sure it really saved. Then do a Shutdown.

- Decorating -
17) Start up RunUO & your client. Make sure they are pointing to your edited files.
18) Next, you going to decorate the new area. I found its easier to decorate first then use PandorasBox to add in your water tile on top of it. You can probably set the depth to -5 (ocean water height), set it to random(6) and use the tile button to quickly add in your new water tiles. You’ll then have to go in and add some water tiles by hand.
19) Once it’s all done use the [freeze on your map!
20) That’s it!

Attachments

• Example_Of_Water.jpg
    Example_Of_Water.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 567
  • Mulpatcher.jpg
    Mulpatcher.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 397
  • CentrED_01.jpg
    CentrED_01.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 486
  • CentrED_02.jpg
    CentrED_02.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 463
  • Transparent Water.zip
    23 KB · Views: 117
  • Optional Water LandTiles.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Optional Water Decorations.zip
    102.9 KB · Views: 96
  • CentrED and CcedServer.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 62

Sythen

Sorceror
Well, seems like you earned yourself a beer.... so reach into your pockets and buy one :p....

On a more interesting note, looks good Nockar, I respect the work you put into this. Your water color is darker than ours, but still very good. My suggestion (since you got this far), is to test boats on your water. Its not enough just to make translucent water, now you need to go into your boat scripts and change the land tile ids... if you did this the way I think you might have, your water tiles are fused statics and not land tiles...

If use land tile water then when you raise and lower it in centrED it will create a hill or a pit/hole in your map... therefore your sea floor needs to be land tile and your water above it needs to be set as static tiles and added manually into the mul files with the correct flags set. How do I know this... well I've done it through trial and error.

What you are checking for with the boats is to make sure that your boats sail without squares underneath it. They should glide across the water seamlessly. That question you asked me earlier this week? Yea thats the issue that would come with the problem you were having. The other thing is that you need to not only change the water hues, but you also need to edit a few other scripts and animations to make this fluid. I'll let you figure that one out on your own. The boxes near the shallow water are put there by the compiler to identify shallow areas... its like the border or something between deepsea and coastal waters. OSI even has them in a lot of locations, you'll remember them if you've played on the commercial shards because they are the blue boxes that appear on your ship on occassion as you approach a shoreline.

In addition please note that this process of converting an entire ocean takes a lot of time and patience. Its not a quick transition like it seems in the description above. If anyone needs additional help with this and you all are truly interested in full oceans that have both sea depth, land elevation and translucent rivers, oceans, and waterways then you can pm me and we'll set you up.

Not trying to discredit the work Nockar put into this, but its of my own observation that this info was released half-descripted and not enough detail... therefore too soon. I'll be interested to see how many people respond with complaints that their boats are moving or the fishing script is messed up and doesn't mesh with the server colorwise. Those who truly care about detail oriented, role playing servers will care about the quality of information not how fast one was able to share it in a half-cocked way. Just my 2 cents.

FYI: I work with a few other people and have done a lot of Ultima artwork and my team has put together hundreds of coral heads and underwater optical illusions which make static fish look like they are swimming. In addition we can show you how to make coral heads and animated sea vents and sea creatures.

Nockar, just thought it was fair I added this notation because people are going to have a lot of issues with this. There are issues with the way tiles are drawn in UO which make the Box problem cause issues with things like boat movement etc. I've found a way around this, but it requires a lot of knowledge as to how tiles are fit together and I'll give you one hint:

Here Is The Difference: Ours:

milva

Sorceror
Wow that would be ton's of work to create all the water in game like that, but it sure
is nice being able to see down under it!

Nockar

Sorceror
Do boats work fine? Yes
Can you place a boat on the water? Yes
Can a boat sail on translucent water? Yes
Can a boat transition from translucent water onto ocean water? Yes
Does the boat sail without squares underneath it? Yes
Does the boat glide across the water seamlessly? Yes

Does fishing work on transparent water? Yes
Does fishing work on ocean? Yes

Did I need to change the water Hues? No

Did I need to change any scripts at all? No
Will I need to change any scripts? No

Would converting the entire ocean take a lot of time and effort? Of course it would.
Did I ever talk bout converting the entire ocean? No
Did I ever say any of this would be quick? No

Was this half-descripted and not enough detail? Absolutely not.
Was this released to soon? Absolutely not
Is this a half-cooked release? Absolutely not.

How many complaints will there be? Probably none besides yours. If anyone has problems it will be because they don’t have experience editing the files not because of what I posted.

Note: I tossed in the under water stuff as a after thought just for the fun of it. I was not attempting to make the example pretty looking. It was a quick example put together on a test server for the purpose of taking some screen shots.

Attachments

• boat01.jpg
    boat01.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 387
  • boat02.jpg
    boat02.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 373
  • boat03.jpg
    boat03.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 367
  • boat04.jpg
    boat04.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 374

Sythen

Sorceror
Don't take everything personally; you can't read emotion in posts or threads and I wasn't intending to come off like I was attacking you. Honestly I thought that it was a premature move on your part to release this info (thats an observation and not a complaint - the truth is you went a much more simple way than we did, but our result in our opinion is much more refined and detailed as the originator (Arx Obscura) for this idea set the bar high for us detail-wise.

The main difference between your style and ours is that we had to play with hues for endless hours to get rid of the block squares and we redid the ocean floor (they are completely new tiles - I think in all our version has 886 new graphics which include water tile replacements, coral, shipwrecks, fish, static optical illusions, and special graphics for specific quests. If you really want to remove those square borders (since it seems thats the only thing missing, although on a personal level without rehuing your water seems more pacific and less carribean than ours) follow the directions in the picture above. You're going to have to redraw some of the tiles because:

the red (West) part of the tile ALWAYS overlaps the green (East) and the blue (North) part of the tiles always overlaps yellow (South)... thus getting rid of the squares because that is what is causing them - you have to shave off or rehue (either way works) the tile overlapped tiles at the edges by 1 pixel to a lighter shade to have the seamless effect. Your screenshots weren't seamless :p Keep in mind though when you are doing this that you wont be able to get rid of the L shaped tiles in the shallow water tile section of the muls so rehue them to match the rest of the water color at a lighter shade to mesh them in.

Instead of getting irritated by my words.... take it as motivation to add on to your work or refine it. In the end both of us succeeded in doing what Arx Obscura has kept a secret for a lot of years and/or if anyone else had done this they werent sharing lol.... Anyway you approached me about the box borders, I wasn't going to say anything simply because it wasn't my place to say anything; the work we put in included myself and 2 other people and I can't release anything until they decide they're ready to - out of respect to them. What I've given you here on your thread though, is a key component to perfecting your touch up issue; either use it or don't lol.

I'm hoping to get the other two guys on skype later on this coming week so we can release the tile sets and redefinitions so that people can choose between your accomplishment or ours. It really makes no difference as far as we're concerned and none of it would have been discussed except that I thought you went about your project the same way we did which would have peoples heads spinning without proper directions. We tried making it as simple as checking off the translucent flag and we ran into that dreaded box issue which is why we went 1000 steps further; yea we're all perfectionists. LOL.

alambik

Sorceror
I used to take the "blood" ItemID with the blue color in order to make transparent water.
And that's it. :)

MaG_PaW

Sorceror
Hi, I love this.

One Question. Who its the numbers of te optional bmp's?

i refer to 0xnumbers.
I made crazy myself searching it.

Thx.

Obsidian Fire

Sorceror
I want to start by saying, Love this work. I do have one issue, not sure if its my problem or something with the artwork. My problem is (as you can see in the Screenshot) my water is broken up into a grid. Any Idea?

Attachments

• ScreenShot.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 311

Nockar

Sorceror
Here is what ours looks like after it was finished.

Attachments

• UORoleplay_1.jpg
    UORoleplay_1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 285
  • UORoleplay_2.jpg
    UORoleplay_2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 274
  • UORoleplay_3.jpg
    UORoleplay_3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 271
  • UORoleplay_4.jpg
    UORoleplay_4.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 278

matiosse

Sorceror
What client version do you use? I'm using 7.0.15 and its not working i've patched the mul files but the water remains not transparent.

Sythen

Sorceror
7.0.21.1 and 7.0.21.2

I use both of these client versions... one for winter and the other for spring fall and summer

Nockar

Sorceror
Not sure with out looking at it. If you have an art program & fiddler try extracting the image form fiddle & then open it up with the ones i did and take a look at the pixels. I would think that it would not make any difference since all those images are probably the same. There is not anything done to the mul files but replacing the artwork and changing a few thing to make them transparent.

matiosse

Sorceror
Well I followed every steps but the optionals of your procedure I would love to show you my art.mul but it is too big to be uploaded here

Obsidian Fire

Sorceror
I think I may know what happened:

First, are you using Fiddler to do the texture replacment and set the attributes to transparent/translucent?
second, if so you need to not only do the texture replacments but you also need to save ALL these files: art.mul, artidx.mul and tiledata.mul

I had kind of the same issue, I replaced the textures and set the attributes but the water wasn't showing up transparent. Finaly I just replaced ALL the mentioned file and it seemed to work
but you can see I have a (Grid) that shows up in my water, but it is transarent.

Obsidian Fire

Sorceror
No, but when I tried to use MulPatcher (ver 10.1) it didn't read my files right, I had text that looked like this: #%tf@ and some other strange names like wood on a tree picture and so on, it also had removed all the attributes from the tiles so I didn't use Mulpatcher. The only thing I can think of is maybe it didn't save right, so maybe try again and make sure to save art.mul and artidx.mul and the tiledata.mul then maybe open them in Fiddler and see if all the attributes are still in tact.