RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent Water

Macil

Sorceror
How is this possible??? Found the screenshot on some German (I think) server. How is this water possible? And how do I make it? I want it! lol

my guess is, the water inst transparent. they most likely put statics on top of the water and then tinted them with hues to look like it.

Jeff

Lord
Transparent tiles are possible for statics, but not map tiles i believe. So shallow water tiles could be transparent.

ya i see the sand visible under the water now.

fucking hell, sure wish they would share that. I mean intentionally.

Iomega0318

Sorceror
Hmm hard to tell, take a look at this screenshot and you can see the transparent water and to the right a waterfall with solid water.. But according to the site they have done a lot of custom stuff, so it could be either..

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
I'm pretty sure this is the blood tile, just hued to a blue color. I've done this before in the past when doing an Atlantis dungeon. It was the only way I could make a water tile that was see through, and able to make a player pass through.. Works great for this kind of effect. Although it does also look like they're using higher resolution art work for stuff like the grass, or it could be that I've been staring at the screen for too long.

Just create a new item, set it's itemid to that of the blood tiles you wish (there are edges, solids, even moving versions of it.) Make sure you find a good blue hue to set it too, and probably set the name to Water. Then you're good to go. If you still can't figure out how to make it, let me know and I'll dig through my old files to find the tiles I used to do it.

To be honest, I'm not sure why they bothered adding stuff at the bottom of the water there. Other than for the realism effect. Unless that stuff under the water is frozen to the map, it's a waste of statics.

Also, to go for the whole under water dungeon feel. You can create dungeon walls, and floors that are similar hue. To make it look and feel like you are submerged below the water. Plus by doing it like this, you could even do the whole Spongebob thing and have water under water! =O

KHzspeed

Sorceror
my guess would be custom new textures and graphic tiles. allot can be done to give the illusion of transparency.
all depends how good you are in CS5 :p

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
The stuff beneath the water is all that really needs to be frozen. The "water" tiles them selves, which are just blood tiles rehued should not be frozen. Or else you won't be able to pass through it, to get the whole realist effect.

Thagoras

Sorceror
Wow, that's pretty cool. The blood tiles have the Translucent flag. Never noticed that before. May have to take advantage of this.

fwiffo

Sorceror
Sorry to repop a very old thread (3 years, I know), but that's the most relevant in terms of topic, and I am lazy to create another one.

It is possible, I will be releasing a script that makes use of UltimaLive for mass-converting WaterTiles (land) && mass-add of static decorations with replacement id for below-water deco...The release is to be done when I finish fixing problems (and when my server has it working).

The use of ultimalive allows to remove 99% of manual work, some manual work is anyway required, since you have to refine some parts of the map, but with centred is something like 2 to 4 hours of work, depending on how good you are to use it.

The only problem I've found is with map boundaries, reaching the boundary will make you see for over-boundary tile the land below the water tiles, in the mini-map you will also see this defect, if someone has any idea, I'll appreciate it.

fwiffo

Sorceror
this is a working result, little human intervention was done, just to add some statics in the piers, etc. The rest is aumatically done with ultima live.

pooka01

Sorceror
So i guess these are really blood statics?
If so i guess i could destroy entirely my water borders and replace them with that xD
My water borders are half done in centred, so switching to blood tiles wouldn't really be so much of a problem.