RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming changes... RunUO and UOGamers

Pick our next location

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathbysin

Sorceror
Pinging to Texas has been terrible for years, i would love for it to come back to the east coast, and Seattle would be absolutely dreadful, but to be fair, the pings are as follows
Texas: 64.39.8.163 53ms
Dallas: 74.86.116.210 42ms
Houston: 173.193.70.98 53ms
San Jose: 50.23.64.58 89ms
Wash DC: 208.43.102.250 31ms
Seattle: 67.228.112.250 91ms

kdivers

Knight
Texas: 64.39.8.163 69ms
Dallas: 74.86.116.210 83ms
Houston: 173.193.70.98 69ms
San Jose: 50.23.64.58 95ms
Wash DC: 208.43.102.250 26ms
Seattle: 67.228.112.250 91ms

Sirkah

Sorceror
these are all average pings

Texas: 64.39.8.163 23ms
Dallas: 74.86.116.210 18ms
Houston: 173.193.70.98 24ms
San Jose: 50.23.64.58 63ms
Washington DC: 208.43.102.250 60ms
Seattle: 67.228.112.250 73ms

ping to login.uogamers.com is at 42ms

so with these numbers, and if ping is also related to consistency ( no point in 15 ping if ill be spiking all day constantly, vs the 60 ping that is constant all day long, ill take the 60.) Ill be voting dallas

but tbh, i like the server where it is. Other than the occasional shard lag, i ping consistent at 45-60 and its been working for me.

just please make sure whatever ping i end up getting, please make it consistent and constant.

Sirkah

Sorceror
Mark has done some serious math - he calculated it and it was something like 100ms and below is irrlelvant
consistency is all key. as a dueler, i can say a very large percentage of being able to play competitively is based on ping. it helps for reaction timing and for in game effects such as fast casting or even throwing well timed pots to things such as healing syncs. As it sits, i ping right at 45-60 consistently. This works for me because ive had to tailor my game a little bit to factor in the ping difference from the last location, which i was rocking 15-30. The difference isnt huge by any means, but i'd bet anything that its there.

Ive seen players who ping amazing simply outrun other players, mounts or not, just based on ping. This can factor in greatly when it comes to trying to split pot damage against your opponent. There are a few duelers on this shard with such low ping that i simply can not run their pots into them because they just out run me.

i really wish you would dig deeper into this issue and worry not just off of what ping says, but also the consistency of the ping. I would advise all the players to check these results multiple times throughout the day. Because believe me, nothing is worse than being fed a ping that can be anywhere from 15-105 and can change constantly within just a few seconds. At one of the previous locations, it was like this for me. I will not put up with the headaches this causes if your new move happens to be in a place with inconsistent and rapidly bouncing ping.

in short; i need consistent ping! Lower the better. But i would take a consistent 45-60 ping over an inconsistent ping with a window of < 5 - 105 any day.

Sirkah

Sorceror
and im sorry for the triple post, but im not sure why you selected 3 spots to be voted for all in texas. With what ive been viewing in this thread, the differences between the 3 have all been with 10, or 6 for my case. In reality, it looks like it doesnt matter between these 3 locations for the output of the results we plan on getting.

it just looks as is you have split the vote for a centralized usa server location.

imo; add the 3 up together for the overall voting. Because my vote went based on lowest ping as did everybody elses (im assuming), it wouldnt make a difference if i voted houston or dallas or even texas.

so in essence; a centralized server plan is winning the votes thus far.

Sirkah

Sorceror
Based on this, the server should be put in San Jose. Putting it in DC would kill off alot of players in asia and countries nearby.
i will be the first to attest that the asian community has died down a lot recently. If this is a measure of all time IPs or IPs within the past month, i would have to say that asian playing numbers have been decreasing.

i would also like to point out that this server has been known for quite a while to be a USA based server. Make adjustments to maybe ease their ping, sure. But to go so far as to completely relocate because of asian players is a null point.

Living in Australia
Current: 300
Texas: 280-310 (inconsistent) Pinged again and now getting 400 (still inconsistent)
Dallas: 270-280
Houston: 270
San Jose: 230
Washington: 315
Seattle: 255

San Jose please!

wkstrm

Lord
Since I'm from Sweden...

Texas: 143
Dallas: 134
Houston: 139
San Jose: 159
Washington DC: 95 <- WE HAVE A WINNER!!!
Seattle: 167

No packet loss on any of those.

Toddy1

Sorceror
i will be the first to attest that the asian community has died down a lot recently. If this is a measure of all time IPs or IPs within the past month, i would have to say that asian playing numbers have been decreasing.

i would also like to point out that this server has been known for quite a while to be a USA based server. Make adjustments to maybe ease their ping, sure. But to go so far as to completely relocate because of asian players is a null point.

I play with the asian community, their numbers and activity have increased the last month or so. But alot did quit about 3-4 months ago. As Ryan said most players are in Cali, Texas which isnt far from Cali and then Asia. Which makes it more ideal to have in San Jose. I know it must be hard to have your ping go from 20 to 60 O M G try playing with 250-300 ping.

Paracelsus

Sorceror

Not many players are willing to play if the opponents can fast cast while they can only "slow" cast. If you are overseas players and suffer from terrible ping, you will know what I mean.The population of the overseas players with poor ping drops is nothing surprising. If the server moves to Antarctica, I can imagine the population of the American players will drop too.

I guess most players from Asia Pacific would prefer San Jose.

Sirkah

Sorceror
I play with the asian community, their numbers and activity have increased the last month or so. But alot did quit about 3-4 months ago. As Ryan said most players are in Cali, Texas which isnt far from Cali and then Asia. Which makes it more ideal to have in San Jose. I know it must be hard to have your ping go from 20 to 60 O M G try playing with 250-300 ping.
im just saying over my 6 year tenure of this shard, the asian community has dropped substantially. And it isnt my fault asian players are opting to play on a shard that has always been optimal for american players.

Im just saying, dont tailor this shard toward asian players needs. That will flop badly for the shard.

So take asia out of the equation, and you will have a fair location to be placed in texas. In between east and west coast, and all the central players will love it. Whereas if you pick east, then only east and central will love it. Same for west.

Not many players are willing to play if the opponents can fast cast while they can only "slow" cast. If you are overseas players and suffer from terrible ping, you will know what I mean.The population of the overseas players with poor ping drops is nothing surprising. If the server moves to Antarctica, I can imagine the population of the American players will drop too.

I guess most players from Asia Pacific would prefer San Jose.

im sure there are asian based servers for these players to play. I have yet to see any asian players be competitive in pvp. And if they get the 200 ping from san jose, 200 still sucks and they still wont be competitive in pvp play.

imo; asian players are sol

Toddy1

Sorceror
im just saying over my 6 year tenure of this shard, the asian community has dropped substantially. And it isnt my fault asian players are opting to play on a shard that has always been optimal for american players.

Im just saying, dont tailor this shard toward asian players needs. That will flop badly for the shard.

So take asia out of the equation, and you will have a fair location to be placed in texas. In between east and west coast, and all the central players will love it. Whereas if you pick east, then only east and central will love it. Same for west.

im sure there are asian based servers for these players to play. I have yet to see any asian players be competitive in pvp. And if they get the 200 ping from san jose, 200 still sucks and they still wont be competitive in pvp play.

imo; asian players are sol

Its hard to compete 1v1 with 300ping. Though if you actually stepped out in the field instead dueling in the pits you would see people from Asia and Australia are competitive in the field.

Sirkah

Sorceror
Its hard to compete 1v1 with 300ping. Though if you actually stepped out in the field instead dueling in the pits you would see people from Asia and Australia are competitive in the field.
this isnt a pvp thread; No matter what, the asian community will never seen < 100 ping unless the shard is moved there. You can not play competitively any way field or 1v1 with more than 100 ping without getting stomped by a decent crew. So take the asian aspect out of this argument, and you are left with a centralized based server.

and im not sure what you are talking about; the only asian group i can think of that plays these days are the fake-asians that are the ^SM that run around lightning wand syncing. I dont have to leave pits to see them die to random blues.

Toddy1

Sorceror
This thread has everything to do with pvp, you think tamers and banksitters will complain about a slight ping increase or decrease? How can you take out the asian part of this arguement when theres more asian players then the east coast as Ryan stated before. Your ping will hardly be effected if its moved to Cali. Cant compete in the field with over 100 ping lol? that just shows your field pvp knowledge. So please stop crying about a 20ping difference you and the rest of the east coast would get if its changed. When itll be 50-100ping difference for us.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
While Sirkah makes some decent points he's just not the only player on the shard...

Regardless - When I tested the ping for myself, what I did was setup PingPlotter PRO (www.pingplotter.com) and configured it to test against all of the addresses. I'm letting it run for 24 hours to see what the results look like...

This is how it looks while it runs:

pingplotter.PNG

Lissey Miyake

Sorceror
Texas: 64.39.8.163 430ms
Dallas: 74.86.116.210 305ms
Houston: 173.193.70.98 302ms
San Jose: 50.23.64.58 288ms (request timed out)
Wash DC: 208.43.102.250 435ms
Seattle: 67.228.112.250 320ms
209.173.138.21 250

Status
Not open for further replies.