RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will RunUO be open source?

I

Iain

Will RunUO be open source?

Or will it be closed...

I am assuming that it will be open but thought I had better ask before getting too excited.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
At this time there are no plans to GPL RunUO. RunUO is highly scriptable, and its scripting language is what the server itself is programmed in C#... at this point there is no need to GPL the server.

I

Iain

Will things like hitpoints not being tied to strength and experience points, and true class restrictions (i.e. clerics not wielding bladed weapons) be scriptable? For that matter, can true classes be scripted? If not, then scripting will not be adequate for my uses (but I am just one person so this should not be considered a flame or anything). I chose the original UOX over Sphere because Sphere is not open source. I will still wait with anticipation for RunUO but will probably have to stick with my current basecode.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
As I have already stated, it is not our intentions or goals to get users to choose us over UO Emulators. We are just having fun and developing a good program while doing that... we are not out to be the #1 choice for everyone. If you decide to use the program great.. we arent charging for it, we just arent giving away the core engine code.

We are just here to have fun and share that fun with others.

psykotik

Wanderer
:( That leads to problems for instance like with POL where the CORE itself may be the problem and "WE" the user are totally screwed until a DEV decideds to handle the problem and even then it might not be fit in the eyes of the user.

Symbol

Wanderer
it saves you from ending up with 1 million off shoots .. and saves you from people who think they are elite programmers and mess crap up. i personally think closed source saves you from headaches.. the only thing to deal with .. are people complaining its not open source.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
psykotik said:
:( That leads to problems for instance like with POL where the CORE itself may be the problem and "WE" the user are totally screwed until a DEV decideds to handle the problem and even then it might not be fit in the eyes of the user.

Let me tell you I totally know what your saying. Please understand that as we near an official (non-beta) release we will have a bug tracking system setup that will totally automate bug reporting. We know the concerns you have... and please know that we have thought this project through much farther than you can imagine at this point. We will make sure that you get taken care of. Please just bear with us as we progress forward and you will see in the end that we are going to make sure you are just fine!!

I

Iain

Dont get me wrong. I completely understand and support RunUO. I am very excited about it! I was just hoping that I would be able to replace my current code base with it. As a .NET developer myself, I am growing quite fond of C# and having the possibility of the server code available was very exciting.

I am still waiting to fully embrace RunUO. Like I said earlier, this isn't intended to be any kind of complaint on your GPL choice. It's your hard work and we'll all benefit from it open source or not.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Hrmm Cincinnati? :) Where you from in Cincy.. I live in Cincy (and Indy).

Thanks for supporting our decision btw.

Kiwi

Knight
If theres a problem with the core.. there's always the possibility you could talk to a dev about it, and maybe have it fixed (or changed) in a future release. Or maybe even have it as a configuration to set it how you want

L

Levi@than

re:

It doesn't suck, it's their choice :)

Though it could have been more easy to track the bugs.

R

Rainman

Although open source would be my first choice, this way is just as benefiting to the user. From what I understand the scripting\plugin system will allow full control over everything.

Merlin

Wanderer
:(

This is my first post as i just came....
when i saw that you are using .net and all that i got REALLY excited since i remembered it beeing Open-Source... and than I saw this post...

not as a threat or anything... and i can understand(somehow) why you dont wanna release the code... but as someone allrdy said, that what makes POL how it is...

what i mean is this: now you really enjoy developing the core and all that... but youll get bored sometime in the future... and then the core will not evolve, and the developers will stay behind

beside, if youll release the core.. Ppl will share(most of them) the new cores they make(fixing bugs/new features etc.) so the whole system will be better

Now that its not a open source i dont really have a reason to move from POL... (if it becomes open source im moving in the second you say that.. :D )

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Merlin said:
:(

This is my first post as i just came....
when i saw that you are using .net and all that i got REALLY excited since i remembered it beeing Open-Source... and than I saw this post...

not as a threat or anything... and i can understand(somehow) why you dont wanna release the code... but as someone allrdy said, that what makes POL how it is...

what i mean is this: now you really enjoy developing the core and all that... but youll get bored sometime in the future... and then the core will not evolve, and the developers will stay behind

beside, if youll release the core.. Ppl will share(most of them) the new cores they make(fixing bugs/new features etc.) so the whole system will be better

Now that its not a open source i dont really have a reason to move from POL... (if it becomes open source im moving in the second you say that.. :D )

I will say it again. We arent here to be in competition with other servers/emulat9ors out there. We are doing this because we think its fun. I dont forsee a situation where we get bored... if that happens I am sure we will make a decision on what to do from there forward.

C

Chaos

The big difference you people that are comparing RunUO with POL need to understand is that the RunUO developers are posting messages here, are available in IRC, etc.

POL developers are rarely around, and they are very hard to reach, these guys plain as day post messages, their email addresses, and ways to contact them. Thats a lot more than is needed.

Ryandor

Sorceror
My main conplaint with POL, is yes, they are easy to find, IF you join the Yahoo Groups, IF you are willing to deal with ads galore, and IF you're willing to sift though a very non-intuitive interface. And god forbid you suggest using a real website with real forums (any kind, really).
Sorry not worth it to me. This is the main reason I've never seriously looked into POL. I'm not saying POL is any better or worse as an emu, as each emu has it's place and is better suited for different tasks. RunUO will also find it's place. Whether it's good or bad is irrelevant. We're here for fun.

-Ryandor