RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will SOTA kill UO?

Praxiiz

Sorceror
Will Shroud of the avatar draw the remaining Ultima fans away from UO? I think many shards will see a reduction in numbers as Ultima fans move to SOTA.

It's difficult to be motivated to continue UO projects with the prospect many less players. Thoughts?

almuric avanti

Traveler
The only way it will draw us away is if SOTA is what UO was, UO was and still is a unique game that is unmatched in depth by any game currently on the market. The only thing that has hurt UO was the graphics and the development team trying to become more like ALL the other online games.
Also SOTA wont charge for online play, meaning it will run out of funds and be unable to evolve and grow, it will be short lived if it can't grow and it can't grow without money. I have already given a donation and hope it meets all our expectations that Richard Garriott has given us in the past.

Vorspire

Knight
SOTA seems like another generic MMO, plus the graphic style is like Marmite, you love it or hate it, but I think it will do well.
Will it destroy UO? Doubt it, UO is a unique experience in MMO's that can't be matched.
Ryan backed a large amount on SOTA's Kickstarter [1]

Kennyd

Sorceror
There is also Greed Monger, Neo's Land... lots of similar games in development. SOTA looks kinda lame imo... I really don't like the whole zoning thing. But hey I hope the release will pleasantly surprise me ^^

[GLB] Deadly

Sorceror
Personally, I don't think SOTA is going to be a very big success... I really hope that it is, but only time will tell. I will say this though, I was almost completely against it until I found out a few things. Most of the original team is all working on it and something I just found out a few days ago really makes me think it might have a shot. The fact that their lead story designer is Tracy Hickman. One of, if not my favorite, fantasy authors. He's a really really good story teller, so I can only imagine him building on the lore thats already great.

Kennyd

Sorceror
I was almost completely against it until I found out a few things. Most of the original team is all working on it and something I just found out a few days ago really makes me think it might have a shot. The fact that their lead story designer is Tracy Hickman. One of, if not my favorite, fantasy authors. He's a really really good story teller, so I can only imagine him building on the lore thats already great.

Exactly, the only reason I'm even following SOTA development is because of the people working on it. + I'm getting really sick of Wurm Online... :p

pooka01

Sorceror
I don't like 3D mmos, they tend to remove imagination, if things are HD definition, you see what you see, you can't guess what you see and think of it like you wish, in ultima online, seeing the floor of a forest leaf by leaf would remove the immersion feeling of the game. Just look at the home decorations that some people made, a blue cotton top fountain, a statue stand made with cookie plates, and much more would just look ugly, as they are not used as imaginative tools, but rather strict-use only items.
Caring only about the orthographic view is better, as it's a single image you can draw, as in 3D you need some programs to make those, and sometimes they are done wrong; using more poly, or has a texture inside...

Plus, people will go see that game but they will not trash uo forever... See it as temporary 50% time spent away, like any other game a uo player has...

Talow

Sorceror
As a long time UO player and a coder/scripter for a few years now...

No UO isn't going anywhere, it has a place in our hearts for a reason, and it will remain hard to replace for any of us.

pooka01

Sorceror
Lets hope for private (or emulated) servers c':
(otherwise expect destroyed environment and random holes everywhere like in minecraft :confused: )

Kennyd

Sorceror
Lets hope for private (or emulated) servers c':
(otherwise expect destroyed environment and random holes everywhere like in minecraft :confused: )

Pretty sure the terraforming won't be as super-casual as in minecraft lol, think more in the lines of wurm online ;)

KKJ

Sorceror
Does anyone know if there is a way to create the old 3d graphics for all the new stuff up to stygian ? I actually loved the old 3d and wish we could find a way to copy all the newer stuff from when it was discontinued up to todays stuff. I still run 3d with my new home server but just cant go to termur of course and some stuff on the housing wont work but if anyone has a way let me know, rent cloud ? anything.

Vorspire

Knight
One of the many Q&A's as answered by Lord British himself;

Attachments

• SOTA Q.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • SOTA A.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66