RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filling in the Gaps

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Filling in the Gaps

We've got a few gaps in features that have developed over the years.

I'm going to be taking up the candle to drive development of things that are missing from the SE/ML Eras.

In my absence, the team we've developed at Demise Bugs & Fixes has been doing a fantastic job, and they will be assisting in the development process. We want to bring in the rest of the RunUO Community to get this done, and get it done well.

Look for more info in the upcoming weeks. If you'd like to get specifically involved, keep your eyes peeled and please let us know below!

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
ASayre;868116 said:
We've got a few gaps in features that have developed over the years.

I'm going to be taking up the candle to drive development of things that are missing from the SE/ML Eras.

In my absence, the team we've developed at Demise Bugs & Fixes has been doing a fantastic job, and they will be assisting in the development process. We want to bring in the rest of the RunUO Community to get this done, and get it done well.

Look for more info the upcoming weeks. If you'd like to get specifically involved, keep your eyes peeled and please let us know below!

So glad you're back :)

catts

Sorceror
It'll be nice to see the new things coming into play, but I would like to see more cat related objects in game. Be nice to see you more active on the irc, we don't all talk UO all day. :D

gilgamash

Knight
ASayre;868116 said:
...In my absence, the team we've developed at Demise Bugs & Fixes has been doing a fantastic job, and they will be assisting in the development process...

Wow, if this includes us non-core helping player-developers, I am flattered and will be glad to join a coordinated development process in future, as I have tried to do over the last two or so years.

I still like to be part of coding for RunUO, be it loved or infamously hated changes :)

Regards,
G.

It'll be nice to see the new things coming into play, but I would like to see more cat related objects in game. Be nice to see you more active on the irc, we don't all talk UO all day. :D

i think more people would use irc for info and to communicate instantly if the people in it were actually moderated. the few times ive been in recently i left within 5mins due to the few people who seem to just troll talking trash to anyone in it.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
i think more people would use irc for info and to communicate instantly if the people in it were actually moderated. the few times ive been in recently i left within 5mins due to the few people who seem to just troll talking trash to anyone in it.

How would you suggest we do it better?

How would you suggest we do it better?

yep, good sentence :)

Anyway, as we are talking about coding (horray!! for ASayre), I have to point a rule written by psz in Demise Bugs&Fixes forum

REGARDING IRC AND OTHER COMMUNICATION METHODS:
Any coding/dicussions held in the coders IRC channel need to be documented in the forums. Staff and others are not always present to see what is going on in there. You cannot assume that everyone inherently knows to go to the IRC channel or that everyone has the ability to see what was said. The IRC channel is to facilitate communications - not act as an official area for communications/coding. The official communication area is the Bug Fix forums.

well im not trying to down the irc. i have def seen people reprimanded in there once or twice. it just doesnt seem to happen enough for people to stop or even deter them.

I really can't think of much that COULD be done... bot-based moderation is technically possible, but requires a lot of work to just set it up... And it really isn't worth the effort.

The only other alternative I could think of is possibly having one or more operators assigned on the main IRC channels that are not directly part of any of the RUO/UOG staff. Of course, then that brings open the question of finding someone who's actually around and paying attention more than any of the staff in said channels. ('course, I can't speak for all the major channels on FasterPing; for all I know some channels already do this well)

well im not trying to down the irc. i have def seen people reprimanded in there once or twice. it just doesnt seem to happen enough for people to stop or even deter them.

which channel?

I hardly ever see any misbehavior in #runuo or any of the dev channels (#xna, #connectuo, #razor etc) that isn't quickly dealt with

The shard specific channels might have a bit of trash talking, but that is one of the elements of a game with pvp interaction.

But I've been hanging in #runuo for years and i hardly ever see any misbehavior.

whenever i go into irc, no one ever says anything, i even try to start a conversation.
That's the way IRC is: those of us that use dedicated, stand-alone client programs can leave them running in the background, just like MSN, AIM, YIM, ICQ, etc. Hence there's a lot of idling. If you need to talk with a specific person, your best bet is to send them a PM on IRC; that will give them an alert.

i was refering more to the hybrid one. im sorry i didnt clarify that sooner.
Ah, that would be expectable, then: Hybrid's a more PvP-oriented server, and hence has a lot of PvP'ers, along with their heated opinions, and consequent trash talk.

whenever i go into irc, no one ever says anything, i even try to start a conversation.
It really depends, sometimes its very active, with people pasting bits of code back and forth, or like 5-6 different conversations going on at once, other times its just idlers