RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

internal clients DC external are just fine

Erucid

Sorceror
Well here is a new one. This just started a week or so ago. Clients INSIDE of my network get DCed and or crash. The ouput in the server is...
Code:
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The socket is not connected
  at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Shutdown (SocketShutdown how) [0x00000]
  at Server.Network.NetState.Dispose (Boolean flush) [0x00000]
Clients OUTSIDE of my network (ie, the internet) have no problems. My internal clients machines include Windows XP, Windows 7, and Linux via Wine on 4 different machines. They are all patched to the same version as my server and the outside clients.

I haven't change anything on the firewall that I can think of.

I can connect using the internal IP of the server (10.1.1.7), or the external DNS name (nedimare.game-host.org) but the results are the same, it DCs or crashes after a few minutes. Clients on the 10.1.1.0 network also have this DC problem.

Ideas?

Erucid

Sorceror
We wont get off that easy. So much changed that lets just assume that the network is bran new and this is a transplanted yet pre-existing server. What could cause this problem?

Soteric

Knight
Well... It looks like network issue, not RunUO itself. But I'm not sure how it can be investigated. Does your router allow to connect it using external IP? I know some routers doesn't. For example if

Router external IP: 95.95.95.95
Router internal IP: 10.0.0.1
Your PC internal IP: 10.0.0.2

in some configurations access to 95.95.95.95 from your PC will be prohibited. So when RunUO returns you "nedimare.game-host.org" as game server DNS name, your PC resolves it as external IP and futher connection fails. That's the only idea I have.

Erucid

Sorceror
I have modified my etc/hosts file and add the IP of the internal server so that nedimare.game-host.org resolves to 10..1.1.7 regardless of what DNS says. Still crash/DC.

Erucid

Sorceror
Running a packet sniffer on my internal clients and when I get DCed from the game I look at the sniff. I have seen NOTHING to point to a cause to this problem. No DNS request. No ARP. out of the ordinary. The conversation just stops. I'm now going to do the same from the server side.

Erucid

Sorceror
So, I changed my internal DNS serve to serve internal clients the internal ip address. Internaly you nslookup nedimare.game-host.org it will return the local non natted ip. Problem still continues.

Erucid

Sorceror
I think I got it.
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/iptables-to-dnat-to-a-runuobox.468789/
I commented out the line
Code:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s $_RUNUO -p tcp --sport 2593 -j SNAT --to-source $_GATEWAY
on my firewall and the problem has gone away. It maybe a combination of the dns issue (#7 above) and this iptables configuration. Or just this iptables configuration. But it now stays connected for internal and external clients. At least in my limited test.