RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

math

S

soundwav

math

math is a funny thing, i came up with away to prove that 1+1 could = something other then 2 but most dont beleave this could be true. but what most forget is to add you must define what you are adding first and the answer is the product of what you added. now i came up with this just to prove to my cuz that anything is posable because he beleaves math cant be wrong but because we came up with it and we are not perfect it could be wrong. but im not saying math is a load of crap because 99.9% of the time math is right but we make mistakes in the calulations.

now first off you must know what add means fully to understand this cause if you dont take add into full consideration you will not beleave.

add
v. add·ed, add·ing, adds
v. tr.
To combine (a column of figures, for example) to form a sum.
To join or unite so as to increase in size, quantity, quality, or scope: added 12 inches to the deck; flowers that added beauty to the dinner table.
To say or write further.

what we are going to add is chemicals with already definded name

now if you take a chemical called (sorry about spelling)

suecrose and add it to multinpatasium nitrate it make 3 very different chemicals one of them being water the other 2 i cant remember the names of at the moment. therefor 1+1=3

i know alot of you will not beleave this but thats ok its not ment to prove math is 100% wrong. just ment to put the thought that we could be wrong about how perfect math is cause if i can prove 1+1=3 then you can prove anything with math. just my thoughts tho

Mephisto

Wanderer
Thanks. But the defined number 1 + 1 still equals 2.
1 chemical + 1 chemical may equal 3, but one number plus another = the sum of those two numbers which equals your cousin was right!! Hehe jk nice theory tho.

C

Chaos

Agreed, when adding numbers you use math, when adding chemicals, you are using chemistry.....big difference.

1 added to 1 using mathematics always equals 2.

S

soundwav

yes maybe so however but my thought isnt to prove that adding numbers is wrong its to show him that it is about how you look at it and the posability that we as not perfect beings, we could (not saying we ARE) be wrong. also you cant take this 100% as real its just a debate and he still will not give in to the chance they anything is posable.

Xenon

Wanderer
Here's an example=

HCl + NaHCO[3] => H[2]O + CO[2] + NaCl

Which is

Hydrochloric acid + Sodium bicarbonate [baking soda] => Dihydrogen monoxide [water] + Carbon dioxide + Sodium chloride [table salt]

This means 1+1=3?

No, of course not. HCO3 [-1 charge] is a polyatomic containing 3 elements, which are hydrogen, and in the carbonate ion, 1 carbon and 3 oxygens. The HCL has two ions- hydrogen [+1] and chlorine, which is chloride as an ion, [-1].

When all added up, we get 2 hydrogens in carbonic acid (H[2]CO[3]) (automatically decomposes to H[2]O and CO[2]), 1 carbon atom, and 3 oxygen atoms. In the NaCl we get a chloride ion and a sodium ion.

Does 2 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 1 = 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 2

Yes it does (mass has to be conserved, as does momentum). So mathematics does work.

However, you can bring up small loopholes. Non-Abelian multiplication is an example. If you multiply vectors (multi-value components), they will not be the same in different orders, e.g. 2x3 = 3x2, but with vectors, a x b not = b x a.

Also, you can use geometry, suppose you have a funnel of infinite length

\
\
\_____________________

Then, mathematically, you cannot have enough paint in the inside of the funnel to paint the outside. Even though infinite length, the inside has a finite surface area, while the outside has an infinite.

Have fun with math! :D

gmsmithsword

Wanderer
AAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :D :x :p :oops: :( :evil: :twisted: :rolleyes: ;) :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: 8) 8)

OOOOOOOOooooooo
Funny

S

soundwav

xenon can you give me a really good example of a loop hole cause i think thats what i was trying to go for to prove to my cuz that anything is posable but my math skills isnt that great never did college math come to think about it never really did high-school math eather but i still went to college tho (havent finished, avoiding taking "required" subjects only taking fun stuff haha)

Xenon

Wanderer
Yes, as I said above, vector multiplication.

2 x 7 is the same as 7 x 2, right?

So a x b would be the same as b x a.

However, if they are vectors, then b x a is not equal to a x b.

Another one:

What is 0 factorial? (0!)

0! turns out to be one. (! is factorial, factorial means to take all numbers from 1 to the # and multiply them, 5! is 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x 5.

How can this be? There is nothing to multiply 0 by to get one!

You can end it there and make believers out of almost anyone, or you can give the true answer.

Having nothing to multiply to, 0 is one by default.

:D