RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend good pointers when describing shard

john burns

Sorceror
Recommend good pointers when describing my shard to other players.

And what is the best way to describe what I want from my staff for my shard.
(new to the whole owner thing, and just stepping out of my comfort zone.)

Safera

Page
I use forums to keep our team organized. There are some free versions of team software out there that others use. I have tried a few, but I prefer forums.

As far as how to explain what sets you apart...check out some other freedshards for some good ideas on how they handled it.

milva

Sorceror
Recommend good pointers when describing my shard to other players.
Game client required for your server
Skill Cap and Stat Cap
Information about your server
Short listing of any special crafting or taming
How many accounts per ip-along with how many houses per account
And what is the best way to describe what I want from my staff for my shard.
Be sure they read the rules of the server for staff and stress how this will be enforced
What you expect from your staff- not messing with players, answering pages and over all helping with all staff duties.

Vorspire

Knight
Correct grammar, punctuation and articulated sentences also give players a sense of professionalism about your shard - so don't skip out on Spell Check!

Take a look at how games are advertised, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all, so it won't hurt to borrow some ideas from other successful franchises - you should aim to make you shard sound like the best thing since sliced bread, while keeping any hint of arrogance out of the equation, IE, don't say "we're the best in this and that" unless you're prepared to justify it.

A lot of shards are unsuccessful because the owners have far too high expectancies of what they will achieve, then fail to meet their own expectations and are severely disappointed - when you start out, keep it simple and professional. Don't expect more than 20-40 returning players in your first month, the population of the UO universe is already spread quite thin, so it takes more time to get started. So many shards I have seen recently saying they expect 100, 200, 300 players in the first month, with one notable shard riding on the fact that they expect 6,000 players in the first 2 to 3 months (which I personally find a bit over the top).

Another tip I would offer would be to make sure (if you take donations) that your donation policy is clear and understandable - in an ideal world, you would write a EULA to encompass this and any other laws of your land,so that the player may bide by the terms of the agreement and understand their position. Make it perfectly clear that donations are not 'sales', they are gifts from the players to help keep your services running and that they are rewarded for their contribution - it should be clear that donators are not to be treat any different to non-donators, as there are a lot of arrogant people out there that will think you owe them a favour for life.

Hiring staff isn't easy in RunUO world these days, seems most everyone has their position on some shard or another, so you have to look a little harder - ensure the fact that your staff are kind, courteous and professional at all times.
If you're really serious about your shard, treat it like a non-profit business venture, where your staff effectively represent yourself, and be reminded that their actions reflect that of your level of professionalism - if they mess up, it will look bad on you and no one wants that :)