RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RU's sphere-type resyncing ability?

S

Silver Ghost

RU's sphere-type resyncing ability?

Sphere had a very useful ability to update its scripts on the run - without restarting the server. Will (or is) this feature included in the RU?

(If it is, sorry bout that - I've just downloaded the server yesterday, hope to get to play around with it today :) )

S

Silver Ghost

... BUT the sphere lacked somthing that POL didnt - its scripts were all text-type, thus anybody could steal them. Same can't happen with POL - their scripts files are compiled into bytecode.

How's it done here? I've heard something about creating a .DLL. Can I get some more info on this?

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
You should stop asking so many questions without searching on the forums, or playing with the application before you spam us with questions we have answered 100's of times already on these forums.

Do you sense that you are touching a nerve here? I hope this is your wakeup call.

Scenario:

Imagine you have created a fish in game.
You modify Fish.cs with some new magic property.
You hit the new magical recompile button.
What happens to the fish thats already instantiated?

Script recompiling is going to be a very difficult task One that is likely improbable. Notice I didnt say impossible, jsut improbable meaning it would be more work than its worth.

S

Silver Ghost

1. Thanks for the answer
2. Sorry for "trying to learn more so I can invest more".
3. I searched the forum before posting.

Thank you agian.

SickLab

Wanderer
I searched in this forum for the keyword:

"without restart"

And i found a topic entitled:

"How to recompile all scripts?"

here is the link:

http://www.runuo.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=241&highlight=restart%2A

so, i doubt you really search for something before asking. The reflex would be to search for "recompile". And you would also found this topic.

K

Krazy_zack

Didn't you get banned from the sphere boards Silver Ghost?

Zippy

Razor Creator
Lets not talk about hwere he got banned from before, thats not going to lead anywhere.

No, RunUo does not currently have the ability to Recompile Scripts on the fly. No this will probably not ever happen.

A little more information, C# does not have "Edit and Continue" like C/C++ does. I have also (breifly) looked though some of the CodeDom stuff, and I saw nothing that looks like it could even begin to accomplish this task.

These two things lead me to believe that at this time, it is next to impossible to recompile and relink scripts. Don't hold your breath.

Also, at this time you can only distribute scripts as .cs files (their code). I haven't investigated wheather it's possible to distribute scripts in their compiled form (scripts.dll) thus making them 'closed source.' Krrios might, I don't know, but even if I knew for sure it was possible, I'd be against it. I think scripts should stay "open" so that everyone can benifit from them... I don't like the idea of people releasing closed source dlls for RunUO. I'd rather you share your scripts and our code, so people can modify them to fit their needs (as was the whole purpose of making runUO scriptable).

S

Silver Ghost

Krazy_zack said:
Didn't you get banned from the sphere boards Silver Ghost?
Again u'r confusing me with somebody else. I've never got banned from sphereserver forums.

Also, at this time you can only distribute scripts as .cs files (their code). I haven't investigated wheather it's possible to distribute scripts in their compiled form (scripts.dll) thus making them 'closed source.' Krrios might, I don't know, but even if I knew for sure it was possible, I'd be against it. I think scripts should stay "open" so that everyone can benifit from them... I don't like the idea of people releasing closed source dlls for RunUO. I'd rather you share your scripts and our code, so people can modify them to fit their needs (as was the whole purpose of making runUO scriptable).

I might want to question that. Imagine a situation - in future u become a dev on some shard running RunUO. You bust ur ass off, working for them, making the greatest shard, being promised to "get payed in some way". And then BAM. Ur FTP is blocked, ur accont too, and what'r u goona do? They have ur scripts they can adjust them and thats pretty much it! BUt if you could distribute compiled file? U add some "cheats" in it, that u will use if they ban u, and if they kick u, they'll be left with nothing. That's what's made POL so much better than sphere.

And talking about sharing scripts - I belive people should be able to share compiled scripts, but I doubt that anybody will use them. Most people will share raw scripts. Trust me. :)[/code]

Phantom

Knight
As an Sphere admin for 2 years, I would if I was put into the postion as Silver Ghost suggested. I would in fact just delete his work, if I cought him cheating.

I think thats what people would use the feature for to screw shard admin's over. If you get fired from a shard, you should have done a better job...

S

Silver Ghost

Phantom said:
As an Sphere admin for 2 years, I would if I was put into the postion as Silver Ghost suggested. I would in fact just delete his work, if I cought him cheating.

I think thats what people would use the feature for to screw shard admin's over. If you get fired from a shard, you should have done a better job...

That can be a part of agreement. U see there are shards, and there are SERIOUS shards. The second ones in our case would accept scripters with a set of rules, one of which would be - scripts go onto the server.

Come on man, GIVE PEOPLE SOME CHOICE. It's up to them to choose what they want, having choices CAN't hurt u.

Phantom

Knight
I can see you never ran a shard of your own. You think the admins and dev of this emulator want to allow those "kids" to exploit a feature?

Its a bad idea in general, it will be abused and you know it...