RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I release kiru's source code?

Bittiez

Sorceror
I'm curious to see if anyone is interested in Kiru's source code(see my signature), it hasn't become as popular as I would like, and I have other uses for my XenForo license, so I'm debating weather to release the source code for someone else to take over the project, or to just keep the website up.

If anyone has any opinion, I'd like to hear it!

Erevan

Sorceror
You've only had the project open for a month or two now, correct? It's likely that it hasn't taken off as quickly as expected, mainly because most folks gave up on custom content once ConnectUO went offline. It's evident it'll never be back, so most aspiring developers have pretty much given up hope. Why not move the project to a free platform for the time being? CodePlex + SMF would suffice (if you're really intent on finding a better use for the xF license). I haven't had time to really look at the project myself, but I hope to in the immediate future (have my own project going, and seeding the torrent file over uTorrent is a bandwidth hog). Personally, I believe if the project is given a bit more time, word will start to spread and you'll generate the attention you're looking for. :)

Bittiez

Sorceror
Thank you for the input, the problem here is that I don't really have any desire to pursue java after I've been learning C#(Java isn't bad but holy cow, C# is so much better minus the cross platform part IMO) =/

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
You've only had the project open for a month or two now, correct? It's likely that it hasn't taken off as quickly as expected, mainly because most folks gave up on custom content once ConnectUO went offline. It's evident it'll never be back, so most aspiring developers have pretty much given up hope. Why not move the project to a free platform for the time being? CodePlex + SMF would suffice (if you're really intent on finding a better use for the xF license). I haven't had time to really look at the project myself, but I hope to in the immediate future (have my own project going, and seeding the torrent file over uTorrent is a bandwidth hog). Personally, I believe if the project is given a bit more time, word will start to spread and you'll generate the attention you're looking for. :)

AssistUO will replace ConnectUO...

We're already testing it for Revelation right now and it's working great...

http://www.uogamers.com/what-the-revelation-login-consists-of/

Bittiez

Sorceror
I saw this earlier and it looks awesome, I just assumed it would not be made available for all shards, if it is going to be available for any shard than this would be an awesome feature.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Yes AssistUO will work for all shards... It will be quite the amazing feature set and not requiring another piece of software to do the patching will be very nice.

We're still debating where to host the shard site... ie: here @ runuo.com or putting it on the connectuo.com domain etc... since AssistUO supports Sphere and other projects we don't want people who use those other emulators to feel put off by it being here at RunUO.

There's a lot to think about :p

Erevan

Sorceror
My apologies for not being aware of the changes to AssistUO. Certainly looks like something worth being excited for. :)

Bittiez

Sorceror
Yes AssistUO will work for all shards... It will be quite the amazing feature set and not requiring another piece of software to do the patching will be very nice.

We're still debating where to host the shard site... ie: here @ runuo.com or putting it on the connectuo.com domain etc... since AssistUO supports Sphere and other projects we don't want people who use those other emulators to feel put off by it being here at RunUO.

There's a lot to think about :p
So, just curious, is there any ETA on this?