RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Translating Ultima Online

joantinet

Wanderer
Translating Ultima Online

Hello,

For those of you that don't know yet, MOST of the text you "read" when you play Ultima Online is localized. (Custom Scripts are usually not) This means that the script sends a localization number which is located in a cliloc file and associated with a string of text. By default cliloc.enu (english) is used, but you can change it to other supported languages. The problem? Besides English, other languages are only partially supported by distro UO (even ML) files. I'm gonna explain you how to improve them for your players to patch!

1. Download cliloceditor2 (Written by Lorenzo "Phenos" Castelli, from UO Dreams)
It's the BEST program for cliloc editor I found so far, allows cliloc MERGE and its only 60K. (Requires .net framework 1.1)

HERE: http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/cajonoscuro/cliloceditor2.rar

2. Use is simple. File--> Open:

2a)Which file do you want to open? Choose the cliloc in the language you want to translate. Example: (in UO directory) .../Ultima Online/cliloc.esp (Spanish). Press Next.

2b)Select Base cliloc: Here you will choose your english cliloc (cliloc.enu) from UO folder. This is done because English is the only language (dont know about asian lang.) that has all the strings. Click OK.

3) You will see that a lot of strings appear. Some are in BOLD and some are not. The BOLD ones are the ones in your language.

3a) Click in the english text that appears in the non-bold strings and modify it. Then hit OK. Do so for ever string you want to translate. Notice that the ones in english es because they DO NOT exist in your language cliloc (thats why we need a cliloc merging program!)

3b) When you translate a string it will automatically show in BOLD. Then you click Save. Only the strings that you have modified will be saved in your language cliloc. English cliloc.enu (base) will be left unmodified.

NOTE: Even if you can save it modifying directly your language cliloc I Save my version separatelly as for example cliloc.final (you can choose whatever termination you'd like) so you dont get confused. Or cliloc.v001 so you know which version it is in case you have translating team or whatever.

Hope it helped!!