RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone interested in javascript?

Tissemand

Squire
Edit: Before reading my post, here's the project page: http://uojs.kevinevans.name/

Hello all!

In the last few weeks (maybe past two or three weeks), I have been working on a UO client written in Javascript for web browser (using WebSockets and Canvas).
I currently have the networking working (with the exception of a few minor glitches and a few unimplemented packets), and I have it so it updates certain variables, etc. I (temporarily) have a forwarder/"protocol converter" between the websocket and the UO socket (I'll probably eventually add a core edit to RunUO instead of having a completely separate layer), and I have an API of sorts for the graphics (this part will need to be redone anyway). I currently have it closed source, but I intend to release it under BSD after everything works.

For those wondering, the latency between the server and the client is quite minimal. Assuming the forwarder is on the same server as the game server, the measured latency is only about a maximum of 5 to 10 ms more.

At this point, I have started working on the graphical "part." However, I've been busy with classes and haven't had much time to work on it recently, and I've barely even dipped my toes into creating the interface. Anyway, I am looking for someone to help on it. I can give you git access to it and so forth. Ideally, you should know how to use canvas fairly well, as well as know how to use the packets.

Cheers,
Tissemand

Edit - 2012.12.16 (for anyone that's interested):
Currently having issues using Ultima SDK to retrieve the game art and it's not very threadsafe (and it explodes violently during an async call from the socket). I'm thinking I could just use a few mutexes to ensure they'll r/w memory properly.

When I was able to call drawing the game art at completely separate times (where the other threads wouldn't interfere), I was able to render all the non-land (somewhat) and some naked non-animated mobs.

Edit - 2012.12.21
Here's a screenshot of all my broken code if anyone's interested
It's pretty sucky right now xD

Edit - 2013.02.19
In case anyone is following this, I haven't really done much recently. I did create a new renderer for the map though! In addition to this, a lot of the code has been refactored so it's easier to read.

This was displayed by Firefox:

jaapie

Sorceror
wow if this is going to work it will be awesome. Only thing im worried about is how much bandwith will this consume. Goodluck, I rly hope you can pull this off.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
I would be seriously interested in working with you to put this into a live beta full time against one of the UOGamers shards... if you're interested feel free to let me know. I'd love to see this get completed.

Tissemand

Squire
wow if this is going to work it will be awesome. Only thing im worried about is how much bandwith will this consume. Goodluck, I rly hope you can pull this off.
I've burned through over 10TB in a month before without any complaints! With gzip/deflate, I doubt it would even get that high.

I would be seriously interested in working with you to put this into a live beta full time against one of the UOGamers shards... if you're interested feel free to let me know. I'd love to see this get completed.
I think the basics would get finished within the next few weeks (depending on how much I study for finals, I guess).
You're more than welcome to check out some of the issues and tackle some of them.