RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can _YOU_ proove the math?

L

Lost User

Can _YOU_ proove the math?

Ok let's examine these 2 interesting figures.

Common facts:
- both are made up of four identical figures.
- both are visualy identical ( placing one over another will result in the same thing )
- both have the same angles ( pi/2, .36717, 1.2036 in rad. )
- both have the same sides ( 13, 5, 13.928 ) ( ignoring the gap in the second one)

Uncommon facts:
- they have different areas

The question:
- how could that be?

Raged

Wanderer
I am too tired to do the math right now.. so i'll just try to say it in words.

its the gap. even thou the tringles match up. the gap takes out a 1^2 block of the area. if you add up the surface area the one with the gap will be 3 or 4 smaller (trying to think)

oh wel... that is my $.02

pm me if i am close or not please

M

madMathematican

ex falso quod libet
and do not think linear !
no more spoiling ;)

BlOOdWiZE

Wanderer
Is it not something to do with the fact that the Red Triangle on top is infact starting to widen the angle a bit?

Grimace

Wanderer
umm the area of the green/blue in the first one is 15, in the second one its 16. that what you mean?

5*3 = 15 8*2 = 16

my bad.. i mathed wrong 18->16

L

Lost User

:)

Heh no guys, dont' try to think like humans. Try to think more abstract.

ALl the figures that the triangles are made up of in both cases are identical. I dunno how u got that 15 and 18 but they are the same (print them out, cut them, and check :) )

(HINT: measure area of each individual figure, and then the area of each triangle (discluding the gump of course) )

krrios

Administrator
The red and yellow triangles are not similar triangles. One has a slope of 3/8, the other has a slope of 2/5. You are wrong when you say both figures have different areas.

seank

Wanderer
They're not triangles.

The slopes of the yellow and red triangles are different, thus they are really 4 sided.

C

Chaos

I love when people act really shmart, but they turn out making themselves look really shtupid.