RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chemistry fun!

Xenon

Wanderer
Chemistry fun!

Want a fun and wholesome activity?

I'm sure you do. So here's some chemistry! Anyone in Chemistry should fly through this!

First, tell me if this reaction occurs:

NaOH + HNO[3] => H[2]O + NaNO[3]

If so, why?

Second, tell me the limiting reagent if you're given 1.2 grams of molecular hydrogen and burn it with 1.6 grams of molecular oxygen. Also, give me the formula.

Third, tell me how many chlorine atoms exist in 44.8 liters of chlorine gas, assuming gas is at 0 atmospheres and 0 degrees centegrade.

Lastly, give me the molarity of 29.25 grams of table salt in 1/2 liter of water.

The winner gets a small puppy made of real puppy fecal matter. Perhaps a bone too. Actually, there is no prize. Do it for your drive for school! Am I the only one that likes science tests, and goes to school just for them? Hello? Anyone?

Juliunus

Wanderer
Well, I haven't done this kind of things for ages but :
- I dunno if you have to check if the molecular connections, but about atoms themselves, it works (simply said, one Na on the left of the =>, one on the right. Same for the others).

Question 2 :
2H[2] + O[2] => 2 H[2]O

M(H[2]) = 2
M(O[2]) = 2*16=32
so n (H[2]) = m(H[2])/(H[2]) = 1.2/2 = 0.6 mol. (I hope it's also mol. in english)
n(O[2]) = m(O[2])/M(O[2]) = 1.6/32 = 0.05 mol.

You should have n(H[2]) / 2 == n(O[2])
You have n(H[2]) / 2 > n(O[2])

So the dioxygen is the limitating reagent.

Question 3:
Well... I don't know about your 0 atm... I had the habit to do it at 1 atm, with V=22.4L/mol.
it should give:
44.8/V=2 mol. of your molecule.
1 mol = 6,022.10^23 molecules
so you have 1,2044.10^24 molecules

Question 4:
table salt = NaCl
M(NaCl) = 23+35=58
n(NaCl) = 29.25/M(NaCl) = 0.5 mol.
so your molarity = n(NaCl)/V = 0.5/0.5 = 1 mol/l

Once again, I haven't done this kind of things for ages, so sorry if something is wrong.

Xenon

Wanderer
You did it exactly! Good Job!

The first one works because H[2]O is produced. There are 3 reasons a double-replacement reaction works, either if dihydrogen monoxide is formed, if a percipitant is formed (insoluble compound, like Sn(OH)[4], or stannic hydroxide (tin IV hydroxide)), or if a molecular bond is formed (like N[2]O[5], or dinitrogen pentoxide)

The second is correct, too. The molar mass of molecular oxygen (O[2]) is roughly 32 grams/mol. For hydrogen, it is only 2g/mol of molecular hydrogen (H[2]). Since it makes 2 miles of dihydrogen monoxide (H[2]O), and since it uses all the oxygen, molecular oxygen is the limiting reagent.

I appoligize for the third on making it 0 atmospheres, I was thinking of 0 degrees centegrade. However, you gave me the number of molecules. I asked for atoms! Lol, but your answer was very good, as 22.4 L for every quantity of Avagadro's number (6.022x10^23 = mol, or Avagadro's number), since I had 44.8 liters, I had 2 moles of molecules, since the molecule was diatomic, there were 4 moles of atoms. This gives you 2.4088x10^24 atoms. You were on the right track ;)

The forth was right on, too. 1 molar NaCl (sodium chloride) is correct.

Have fun, and wait for my next challenge!

BTW, I lost the fecal puppy trophy, so you don't win it. :D

Styckz

Wanderer
Personally I find sticking fun things into the microwave although no real proof behind them is more fun. takes alot less thinking too.. my 3 favorties are

1: a cd.. does a nice little number on it (keep the time under 3 seconds unless you want everything to smell like fried plastic forever)

2: a light blub (if you plan to try this one stick the bottom of the light bulb in a glass of water this will act as an insolator as to not have the microwave shoot little electic bolts at the metal bottom) and

3: a grape.. cut in half so only the skin is left touching placed face up in the microwave (this makes a nifty little plasma type flame pretty cool if you have it right :D )

Juliunus

Wanderer
About the molecules which exists or not, it's not as simple as that (you'll learn it in maybe 2 years).

about the number of atoms and not molecules... sry, i read too fast :p