RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FAQ On Altitudes When Creating Maps Using UOL

Sythen

Sorceror
FAQ On Altitudes When Creating Maps Using UOL

Today I did something I never thought I would get complete. I created a nearly flawless custom map using these tools: UOLandscaper, CentrEd, Adobe Photoshop, and MulPatcher (for custom transition tiles).

Anyway I was so impressed (*pats self on back) with the work I did, I forgot how difficult this process is for some people. So I've taken the liberty of typing up some quick (hopefully easy to read) text tutorials about the altitude map for both realistic terrains and osi terrains. These are basic tutorials, but they will help you create your altitude map and make the whole compiling process a lot less stressful. The text files come from my own personal notes while I was creating my maps; it took a lot of trial and error and patience.

Edits You Should Still Expect In Your Finished Map:

Coastlines - If you are an OSI fanatic and want your maps to look like theirs. All your water tiles where the
coast meets the land will be raised to an elevation equal to the land - You'll have to lower them.

If you are using the realistic terrain altitudes then your coasts will come out looking perfect
except around the mountain tiles where the water corner tiles meet the mountain - You'll
have to lower those corner water tiles if your mountains have a lot of sharp curves.

On A Side Note:

CentrEd has a wonderful ability to hide your land tiles, this will allow you to take that trusty elevation tool and set those annoying elevated water tiles to your desired z level altitude.

This can be completed really quickly, no matter the size of your map, because this tool will allow you to select a group of water tiles liberally, without affecting the elevation of your land, and apply the change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me know if these text files help. Remember they will only assist you with making the altitude map created using UOLandscaper. You'll still have to draw your map on the terrain.bmp as you normally would using adobe photoshop and the terrain swatches (colors) that came with the UOLandscaper package.

Attachments

• Realistic World Altitudes.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 178
  • OSI World Altitudes.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 131

Sythen

Sorceror
Some Screenshots Of A Custom Map....

The World Map Drawn In Adobe Photoshop

Notice The ' Welcome To Shadows Edge'.. This Is A Character Creation/Game Tutorial World. Once A Player Leaves They Can't Return. Consequently, That Mountain Range Came Out Looking Quite Nice.

City Structures Created Using CentrEd

Coastlines.. This Map Was Compiled Using The Realistic Terrain Altitude Text File As My Reference

Roadways.. Some Path Transitions Needed To Be Added For A Smoother Look

Swamp And Waterfall.. My Special Projects.. Both Are Animated In Game