RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feature list?

L

loupgarou

Feature list?

do you have a feature list as to what is supported at the current moment?
eg:
combat, combat bonuses from skills
dialogues/gumps/transparency
weapons, damages, dual weilding, other special efx.
3rd dawn/ilhshenar support
guilds/factions/housing
karma/criminal flagging/timers
skills/stats/gain
monster ai/intelligence
error logging/ease of debug (as opposed to some weird: critical error somewhere, you figure what is causing it out of zillions of lines of script)

a) how scriptable is it?

b) have you done an estimate of max client conn. eg: sphere doesn't have a problem with > 300 as long as you have the bandwidth, but what I heard about pol is that server side lag gets bad at > 100 clients.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Ill let the test server users post some features here... we are busy coding atm :) After we are done coding maybe we can hit on anything they have missed.

krrios

Administrator
Re: Feature list?

combat, combat bonuses from skills
-- Combat is in and for the most part, working well (aside from no death). What types of bonuses are you talking about?

dialogues/gumps/transparency
-- Yes, gumps are supported, and "GumpAlphaRegions" do also work.

weapons, damages, dual weilding, other special efx.
-- Weapons, yes. Damages(?), yes, I suppose. Dual weilding, no. Precasting, yes.

3rd dawn/ilhshenar support
-- UO:TD should work, but hasn't been extensively tested. Trammel, Felucca, and Ilshenar work.

guilds/factions/housing
-- Guilds, yes. Factions, no. Housing, no.

karma/criminal flagging/timers
-- Karma, partially (no gains/losses, but paperdoll titles, etc). Criminal flagging, yes. Timers, yes.

skills/stats/gain
-- Skills, yes. Stats, yes. Gain, preliminary.

monster ai/intelligence
-- Nothing extensive currently.

error logging/ease of debug (as opposed to some weird: critical error somewhere, you figure what is causing it out of zillions of lines of script)
-- .NET's "Exception" objects are quite powerful; they can provide detailed error descriptions, stack traces, related objects, and so forth. There's no current file logging, but errors are outputed to the console. Fatal errors require the admin to acknowledge before server shutdown.

a) how scriptable is it?
-- Currently the scripting system is in it's infancy. However, item scripting is very powerful. Global events (e.g. CharacterCreated/PlayerLogin) are still somewhat lacking, but the due to the script nature, over time I forsee it getting very powerful.

b) have you done an estimate of max client conn. eg: sphere doesn't have a problem with > 300 as long as you have the bandwidth, but what I heard about pol is that server side lag gets bad at > 100 clients.
-- I don't have a good estimate on that, however there are a few things I can note.

1) RunUO's network internally uses Overlapped IO. There are never any potentially blocking socket calls. With good hardware to back it, Overlapped IO should eliminate any networking functions as bottlenecks.

2) RunUO is entirely sector-oriented. Other than world saves, there is no direct "all-item/mobile" enumerations -- ever.

3) All object property (hue, itemID, amount, location, etc) changes are processed internally. RunUO's core handles all client notification, and can do it very efficiently. As an example, changing an items ItemID, and changing the Amount sometime after that, will not cause two updates, just one.

4) RunUO's packet compression algorithm is very efficient, significantly more so than UOX's. Further, RunUO only requires that a packet be serialized and compressed once, but that same packet may be sent to multiple clients.

L

loupgarou

good news then. sounds great so far.

heh, any plans to support multiple servers? each server supporting part of the map and clients on that sector of the map. This would be a huge feature plus as compared to all other emulators.

it would certainly allow a core group of people to host the shard over multiple adsl/cable lines, rather than the current demands for t1/t3 heh.