RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft makes Visual Studio Express Free!!!

Malaperth

Wanderer
If you had chosen to say similar in the beginning, I doubt there would have been any objection whatsoever. What you say, while mostly correct, is quite idealistic. Most even professional development processes do pretty much what was done here simply because of time and cost constrictions. Documentation is, for the most part, never adequate simply because very seldom is it created by someone outside the development process that thinks of telling people all the process and not basically demanding that someone have some knowledge of what's going on in order to use the code.

For something that these people did for free in their "spare" time, this software is much better than many pieces of software that cost quite a bit of money.

Courageous

Wanderer
milad said:
first: documentation to express what the system should be able to do.
Well. Get writing it then?

second: a definition of the core (or whatever system you build) interface: not to have to search into the source and see what classes do.. the concept of interface is not so used...
That's an engineering best practice, not an architecture.

third: reasonable use of design patterns and separation rules in deciding what classes do what; for example, if I were to develop a UO server (in Java, maybe?) I'd start off separating the two worlds of architectural domain (see: network connection handling, queuing, maybe even interconnection between servers?
Queing and network connection handling is indeed handled in separate classes in runuo.

but I think I'm expert enough to see if a system is well and orderely implemented or not.
*shrug*

Are you comparing runuo to waterfall model development projects where everything is meticulously reviewed, and development pace drops down to 8K of code per year, or less, depending on the rigor of the process? Silly comparison.

Your criticisms of runuo's architecture are sweepingly general. While it could no doubt be refactored, there are production servers to think of. And... well, the developers have real jobs, too, you know.

C//

Courageous

Wanderer
Malaperth said:
For something that these people did for free in their "spare" time, this software is much better than many pieces of software that cost quite a bit of money.
I agree. Caveat a laundry lits of nits and irritations:
  • Mobile.cs: 11,437 lines. HOLY CRAP.
  • Comments? What comments?
  • Documentation? *giggle*
  • Magic numbers? Didn't we have that conversation?
But really. I've had the displeasure over the years of working code produce by "professionals" that was far worse than the code in runuo. Far, far worse. I generally regard the quality of the code itself, nits aside, as quite good.

It's true that you have to read the core code to deterimine what it does. Not so surprising, really. I've had to do that kind of thing for years and years and years, working prototypes for various R&D efforts. Nobody ever documents these things to any notable degree.

If you asked the devs on any given off sunday if they didn't have to support their servers, and they were feeling sufficiently motivated, would they refactor bunches of runuo, I'm sure they'd say "yes."

But let's not kid ourselves. Java wouldn't have changed any of this.

That notion is just language zealotry at its worst.

C//

milad

Wanderer
Courageous said:
Are you comparing runuo to waterfall model development projects where everything is meticulously reviewed, and development pace drops down to 8K of code per year, or less, depending on the rigor of the process? Silly comparison.
C//

Actually I'm comparing it to RUP (rational unified process) for example, which iteratively produces a system, where in of the steps you have a clear declaration of what you have and what you want to achieve..

Anyway yes, my criticism is general.. I didnt start saying "this class sux" or something, did I? :confused:

About docs, for example, the docs provided with the server don't contain the comments which are indeed included in the source.. isn't that odd? And by the way, I'm actually trying to figure out how to do them.. the only way I found by now is by a tool called doxygen, the others don't work fine (surely my fault somewhere), but here is also MS's fault.. which doesn't provide a good doc tool, at least: I like javadoc, I don't like MSDN.

Finally: I don't want anyone to loose their jobs to improve RunUo, I simply point out what I don't like.

Even more finally: I very seldom led such a useless conversation in my whole forum-life.. may be my fault: too much replying perhaps.

Courageous

Wanderer
milad said:
Actually I'm comparing it to RUP (rational unified process) for example, which iteratively produces a system, where in of the steps you have a clear declaration of what you have and what you want to achieve..
That's so incredibly silly, I'm suprised you didn't rethink yourself before hitting the "submit reply" button.

C//

p.s., have you ever had a complete stranger make a comment to you like, "hey, your teeth are a little brown, perhaps they could use some whitening?"

milad

Wanderer
Silly? .. either explain or stop calling everything silly..

PS: I give you a second option: say you're tired of this conversation, cause I am too..

WarAngel

Wanderer
milad: So... did you just come here to piss all over C# and make people mad, or was there a point? Honestly, if you hate C# so much, then don't use RunUO! We are not forcing you to do anything.

By the way, there was a Java emulator called Tupi. Go see if that works.

milad

Wanderer
@Courageous

the silly thing is that you call silly the fact that i compare extreme programming with rup, do you know what rup is at least? Is it pretestous saying that runuo is not made with rup methodology?? :confused: explain this in case..

@WarAngel

I'm here because I've always wanted an UO emulator based on an object oriented language; I just say: why was this big project made without good docs? I'm not the first asking for good API's here.. I did tried to do them myself, I don't come here expecting something I didn't try.. but what I can't try myself is redoing all runuo, otherwise I would have done that already.. maybe my mode was too aggressive, and I apologyze for that to developers, but I explained what I don't like and I did that only because I hope that things can be improved

The main problem is docs, because I don't think the whole server can be redone, so that's what I'm working on, by myself.. I replied in another topic about this..

Thanks about the Tupi, reference, I'll surely try that.

Malaperth

Wanderer
Have you generated the RunUO documentation? It functions quite similarly to the docs generated in Java if you generate them. Sure, people may have not put in all the helpful comments, but I have seen very few code bases that had anywhere near adequate comments for people that did not already have a very good idea of what the code was doing before they tried to understand it.

Courageous

Wanderer
milad said:
the silly thing is that you call silly the fact that i compare extreme programming with rup, do you know what rup is at least?
Yes. I've been doing software development for 15 years. You?

Out of curiosity, which of the Rational products do you personally own and have installed on your home computer?

The main problem is docs,...
Runuo is open source. Where is your contribution? I suggest to you that all of your work be concentrated on documentation. Am I correct in concluding that you would find this activity to be entertaining?

C//

milad, you have insulted or belittled both the C# language and RunUO. However that is a contradiction in itself. If C# were a bad langugae as you say, then RunUO, as a project, would take twice as much brainpower and effort in C# than on what you would consider to be a good language. Therefore, by insulting the language you must admire the project or at least one of your arguments is null. That is the flaw in your logic.

And as far you being able to make something better in another language... Noone can beat krrios... Nobody.

milad

Wanderer
@Corageous

By RUP I mean the iterative methodology, as I already explained... as for my experience I'm graduating now in software engineering and I program since I was 12, I can't beat you as for experience, but please take note that I quite know what I speak about..

About docs, yes, it would be a very nice start for any RunUo newbie, like ME, who wants to understand what they're doing and not dive into something totally unknown to simply wait until it *works*, expecially knowing that I come from Java, whose Javadocs I find really great.

@Anti-basic

There is no flaw cause maybe I didnt point out that I think that the developer made a great work on many viewpoints, *but* there are engineering flaws and as an engineer (I'll be in four days actually - maybe my resulting aggressive is also due to that.. °_°) I notice and tell them very naturally.. cause I think it's useful to make things better and because I've always been used to hear them even on me, I found nothing bad in them.. they help improve..

Again, Sorry if I was offensive and if I used a bad tone.. there was no bellicous intention.

Courageous

Wanderer
milad said:
By RUP I mean the iterative methodology
I didn't ask you what you meant, Milad.

I'm graduating now in software engineering....
Zero years, then.

... but please take note that I quite know what I speak about...
Interesting that you feel the need to assert this. I'm not convinced, though.

Repeat question: Which rational tools do you own and have installed on your own personal computer?

Repeat question: How much C# have you actually coded?

Repeat question: Am I correct in concluding that you would find this activity (writing documentation) to be entertaining?

Finally--and I must say I am at the moment quite irritated!!!--you previously disagreed with this remark:

I've read a lot of rapid prototype code, over a 13 year period doing that professionally. For rapid prototyping code, it's better than average, when gauged against the quality of code produced by "professionals".

I've executed and/or supervised probably 15-18 rapid prototypes during the mentioned period, and you've.... what?.... done a few homework projects? How much professional rapid prototyping code have you even ever seen?!? What is so terribly annoying about your "disagreement" is that you have no life basis to disagree!

Double U. Tee. Eff.

C//

milad

Wanderer
Courageous said:
I didn't ask you what you meant, Milad.

Zero years, then.

Interesting that you feel the need to assert this. I'm not convinced, though.

Repeat question: Which rational tools do you own and have installed on your own personal computer?

Repeat question: How much C# have you actually coded?

Repeat question: Am I correct in concluding that you would find this activity (writing documentation) to be entertaining?

C//

I do not own nor have in my computer ANY RUP tools.. so what? Did I ever tell you "I like this and this tool"?? :confused:

I didn't code anything in C#... repeat, so what? Can't I simply judge on the base of my OOP knowledge, expecially knowing (Do you know?) that C# was born only because MS couldn't use Java anymore and that they're very similar? Of course you think not..

About docs I repeat: YES, I find both contributing on them and *using* them interesting...

So, my conclusion with you (for my side) is: OK keep your opinions, I don't wanna waste my time anymore...

Courageous

Wanderer
milad said:
I do not own nor have in my computer ANY RUP tools.. so what?
Of course you don't. I knew that.

I didn't code anything in C#... repeat, so what?
So you lack meaningful experience to compare.

Can't I simply judge on the base of my OOP knowledge, expecially knowing that C# was born only because ...
As the years roll by, language zealotry will only harm you, not help you. Your "knowledge" of OOP isn't particularly rich yet, either.

About docs I repeat: YES, I find both contributing on them and *using* them interesting...
Good. Now get to work. Some people don't find that to be fun, and this is an open source effort, where working on it is done for fun.

C//

WarAngel

Wanderer
I didn't code anything in C#... repeat, so what? Can't I simply judge on the base of my OOP knowledge, expecially knowing (Do you know?) that C# was born only because MS couldn't use Java anymore and that they're very similar? Of course you think not..

I used to do the same thing with Linux. I thought I knew so much about Windows. I could do anything asked related to Windows usage, etc., and I'd always bash Linux and call it inferior. Guess what is now the only OS I use?

that C# was born only because MS couldn't use Java anymore and that they're very similar?

How many forked projects have become better than the project that was there to begin with? I don't think that's a very logical judgement for you to make.

Slayer706

Sorceror
C# is definetly the perfect language for an open source project like RunUO.

First, it is object oriented. I wouldn't even know where to start coding something like Ultima Online if it couldn't be based on classes.

Second, it is a relatively easy language to understand (if coded properly). Anyone can look at something like "public override AlwaysMurderer{ get{ return true} };" and understand what it means. I know a guy that can code almost anything in UO. Anything. Yet, he doesn't know most of the basics of C#, such as: multi-dimensional arrays, the difference between a reference type and a value type, what internal or sealed classes are, etc.

Third, it can be used on almost any computer running Microsoft.

Also, it is a very safe to use language. The compiler is capable of preventing errors and memory leaks before even running the program.

BTW:
Can't I simply judge on the base of my OOP knowledge, expecially knowing (Do you know?) that C# was born only because MS couldn't use Java anymore and that they're very similar? Of course you think not..
Well, instead of criticizing, why not be constructive? What language would you have written RunUO in? Don't say C or C++, or I will be forced to laugh in your face.... Oh, and who cares if C# is related to Java? It is still a very powerful, complex, flexible, secure, easy to use, internet friendly, and visually oriented object based language. It is being used more and more everyday. C# is going places.

Until you scan your engineering degree along with a valid driver's license, I don't know anything about your OOP knowledge (if any). This is the internet. You could be a five year old looking for an argument. You could be a sixty year old woman with nothing else to do. Then again, so could I.

Heck, I can say I have a masters in mathematics and engineering. I won an Olympic gold medal for swimming too. Oh, I was a four star general in the army, navy, and marine corps as well. Not to mention I was the guy that told George Washington to cross the Delaware River and destroy the Prussian force encamped there. What? That was hundreds of years ago? I was accidently transported back in time during a transporter accident on the starship Enterprise. <- Prove me wrong....

Slayer706 said:
Also, it is a very safe to use language. The compiler is capable of preventing errors and memory leaks before even running the program.

Jeff (in #connectuo) said:
@Jeff: Cause 99% of what I do is unsafe

(Not that this contributes to the conversation at hand, just thought it was funny)

Courageous

Wanderer
Until you scan your engineering degree along with a valid driver's license, I don't know anything about your OOP knowledge (if any). This is the internet. You could be a five year old looking for an argument. You could be a sixty year old woman with nothing else to do. Then again, so could I.
Don't let yourself be so easily impressed. You learn more in your first year or so on the job than you do during your entire time in college.

He'd have us believe, on a declaration of his "software engineering degree", that he has a more valuable insight than Anders Hejlberg, the creator of Delphi and C# both, who has forgotten more than Milad has yet learned about OOP.

Never mind that C# itself represents a rethink of Java, given the disgruntlement of very many "software engineers" who contributed input to Hejlsberg at his request, regarding what was awkward and inadequate about Java itself. Nooooo..... Milad knows more than all of them, too!

*chortle*

It must really chap Milad's hide to know that Dice is know placing more workers into C# jobs than it is Java.

*chortle*

C//