RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Network issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Network issues...

Many of you may have noticed we recently have been having some network issues with the web sites, irc servers and game servers.

The RunUO Team works extremely hard and spends a lot of money to maintain this large network and recently we've been the victim of several extremely large denial of service attacks.

These attacks have been large enough that they are taking down backbone links to our providers, and to their providers. In essence we have seen denial of service attacks ranging from 4 - 6 gigabits per second, which frankly would cripple most providers.

While we enjoy what we do here, and with our game servers, the last few weeks have made this a job, and no longer a fun hobby to work on. Every time our network is attacked it costs us a lot of money in bandwidth and or fees. With that said I am going to be calling a meeting of the RunUO Team to discuss the future of this project.

This is no longer a game, this is business affecting for OTHER customers at our provider and I cannot and will not let that happen for a hobby to stay online. I just cant fathom doing a 6 gigabit denial of service attack against someones network because one of their users was doing something I didn't like, or had something I wanted.... it's just not right.

To those of you doing the attacks gg you win.

To those of you who have supported RunUO and our other projects thanks.

I'll let you know what happens when we get a Development Team meeting in this week.

Arvoreen

Sorceror
No Way?

It would be a shame to see a project as good as this go down because of some script kiddie losers.

There's no other option besides letting them win?? :eek: :(

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
daat99 said:
I realy hope RunUO will remain active :(

There's no question of that...

The real issue we face here is shutting down our irc network/shards...

If we have to do that you can pretty much bet that we wont have any drive at all to work on RunUO...

poetawd

Wanderer
NOOOO WAY!!!!!

Really,

U make my heart hurt saying that,,,,

DUDE, its thousands of people that believe and injoy your work.... you all from RUNUO are more than FRIENDS for me, I see you all almost as HEROS, people thatwant to help people t have FUN !!!

I swear, I want to be like you when I grow up ( I use to say that when I wnated to be like SUPERMAN )

:confused: :confused: :confused:

That is what the people who is attacking you all want!! Please dont let them WIN!!!!

:( :( :(

poetawd

Wanderer
Ryan said:
There's no question of that...

The real issue we face here is shutting down our irc network/shards...

If we have to do that you can pretty much bet that we wont have any drive at all to work on RunUO...

whoa..... that sounds better.....

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

PerfectWing

Wanderer
This is really awful news indeed. I've been an active, thought not as active as some, member of this community for two or three years now and I can't say that I'd have ever seen this coming.

Will there at least be a final release of RunUO if this comes to pass? What will you guys do afterwards? Perhaps move on to make your own game, or will the RunUO team disband and go their seperate ways?

[Edit] Judging by the second network issues post it doesn't sound like you guys are quite willing to shut down your game servers just yet. There's a sense of cautious optimism at the moment.

Phantom

Knight
PerfectWing said:
This is really awful news indeed. I've been an active, thought not as active as some, member of this community for two or three years now and I can't say that I'd have ever seen this coming.

Will there at least be a final release of RunUO if this comes to pass? What will you guys do afterwards? Perhaps move on to make your own game, or will the RunUO team disband and go their seperate ways?

[Edit] Judging by the second network issues post it doesn't sound like you guys are quite willing to shut down your game servers just yet. There's a sense of cautious optimism at the moment.

Is the next release the only thing you people think about?

Phantom

Knight
I swear if I had the time, I would fly to the country where this person lives, and hit him over the head. Because of him, my data was lost for my website, there you go the first person hit by actions like this.

Thanks alot...

PerfectWing

Wanderer
Phantom said:
Is the next release the only thing you people think about?
Given that the first line of my post was extending my sentiments to the RunUO development team, yes, it's obvious.

I am, however, on RunUO.com. The site I visit when I want to find out when/if something new is happening with the RunUO release, and occasionally provide support if it's not already given. So obviously when I come here, the one thing on my mind is the next release, particularly as of late.

Clearly there is nothing I, nor you, can do in any way to return the favor to whoever did this. So why sit here and post idle threats about what we would do if we could, but can't. The RunUO team is the only ones who can take any decisive action, and thusly I don't see their posting this as some way to comb sentiment from the community, though I gave mine earlier, or instigate an action but rather as a way to inform the community as what's going on and what direction RunUO may take from this.

Hearing that RunUO may discontinue it's efforts, from this post though it doesn't seem so from the continuation, immediately turns my concern to my, and my fellow administrator's, playerbases. If there was not going to be a final release, I'd have no reason to further delay the production state of our shard. So with the threat of no future release dwindling overhead I ask the question that's on everyones mind. I'm in no way calling myself courageous, what I asked up there was the by-product of too much gall, but it's something that's going to be asked sooner or later.

Please don't mistake my rationale as some lack of concern for what happens to our developers, lest you could easily offend me.

bobulopless

Sorceror
okay this sadens me what the hell is going on i go out of town for a week and come back and you all are haveing so much trouble if there is anything i can do to help leave me a message and ill see what i can do this sickens me to read about this runuo has been there for every one that has needed them they help with anything they can help with and to hear about some people who cant wait and get stuff right when it comes out like every one else or are just jelouse that you cant be top dogs get a life you tards Runuo hope you all stay with us for years to come

RUNUO= #1

daat99

Staff member
Ajantis said:
Dont give up, dont be a quitter when you dont need to be.......
He isn't a quitter and it's not the issue here.
What I understand of the situation is that this start to hurt (and bad) other people that have nothing to do with RunUO.

As I see it:
Taking off the shards will take out the motivation to continue works on RunUO.
Taking off the irc will make communications a bit harder (not everybody have everybodys icq\msn\aim...).
Taking off the forums will stop the growth of the community.

So in conclusion I hope that RunUO will stay the same (and that the provider will take legal actions against the dos attackers if possible).

CatLord

Wanderer
Dont let them win

Ryan dont let the Jerks win. Yes I know for the most part Runuo users whine alot but we are behind you. I know you get frizzeled over things like this anyone would... but sit back.. relax.. and nuke the guy later (or post his information here and let others do the nukeing for you lol).

Carnage

A Message to the FUCKS screwin this up

id make it clear to the fucks that is doing this if i get a hint of of your existence i will track you down i make you bleed from every end of your body ill rip your spine out threw your ass i will make you cry and beg for my and the others that love and respect runuo's apology just a word of caution if it is ppl doing this i curse on you a plague of a thousand deaths (srry to sound so hostile but this rattles my cage to see all your guys hard work go down like this makes me wanna bust someones head over a brick wall)

Status
Not open for further replies.